Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
JC
How many hours in the field to harvest 300 acres of Safflower?

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Nice day here, got about 65-70 acres baled up and only 10 acres left.

Preg testing heifers tomorrow then we need to get the fricken corn chopped!

When is the last time you chopped corn in late October? Crazy year this year.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The river bottom is still pretty soft in places.

I just finished 2nd cutting alf last Saturday. Now that is LATE!

At least it dries fast once it's been frosted on the stem.

I was worried we wouldn't have any second cutting to bale but the weather cleared up just long enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We got the third cutting in, between storms. Drove by one of the seed potato cellars tonight at 8, and they are still stuffing them in. Can’t remember any of them working seed spuds into October before.

Snow Saturday, more on Tuesday. I’ve got to get the greenhouse up over three of my tanks, or I’m going to have perch-cicles ........

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A short half inch of rain overnight, and this morning. It looks like Wednesday at the soonest before the combine can run again.

How's your weather?

Sounded like a neighbor was combining beans Sunday, did'n go look. Rained Sunday night and I know he didn't get done. Had not quite 2 inches since and I have standing water in the yard low spots. So it will be a while. Weather is all backwards, supposed to be a dry time of year. But guys south have had flooded fields this summer so it could be worse.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't really expect to get back int he field until Thursday.

It's been a wet year.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had a front come through yesterday, and the forecast was for storms and heavy rain. Neither materialized here, as we only got a trace of rain.......which was good or bad, depending upon one's point of view. We still need some moisture to make up for a hot and dry September, but I wanted to reseed some pastures and drill some wheat in stalk ground to cut for hay, and a lot of rain would have knocked that out for a while.

Didn't rain enough to stop me, so that's what I'll start on this morning as soon as I go and pick up the seed. Each year it's getting harder for me to crawl up and down the drill and put seed in. I don't have enough to do to justify an auger wagon, and the big totes would be cheaper than bags, but I haven't figured out how to handle them. Anyway, the exercise will do me good.........as long as I don't fall off.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A short half inch of rain overnight, and this morning. It looks like Wednesday at the soonest before the combine can run again.

How's your weather?

Got nearly 2" yesterday.... It just will not STOP raining... We got done chopping corn last Friday afternoon at 1:30 pm.. ALL DAY we had to pull wagons out of the field with a puller tractor.. Only about 4-5 loads got out on their own.. One wagon was in such slime that the puller couldn't move it either.. I tried with the chopper and got bupkis.

So we put the puller in the middle, with me in the chopper in lead and, now with THREE machines, we finally got that load outta the field.. Two loads I filled I had the tractor 2' from the back of the chopper on a short chain so I could literally help pull him around the field to get filled...

This particular field is always the last one to be chopped every year - and every year it's just a swamp over the northern half.. I have a new nickname for this piece of land; "The Waterpark"...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Sugar cane is the main crop here. It can be harvested even when it rains, but it is hard on equipment, fields, and headlands. They did need some rain for the plant cane.

Weird thing about that is it appears that you have a "bottom" to the soil. So long as you can grind down through the mud you hit solid bottom underneath.

If you started grinding down here like that, you'd be 4 feet down or further before bottoming out. There are places around all the edges of the sloughs and drainages that you never bottom out. It's fun with a big QuadTrac to see just how deep you can dig!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Been cool and windy here. Supposed to snow Thursday.
3d cutting is in the barn, though.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Weird thing about that is it appears that you have a "bottom" to the soil. So long as you can grind down through the mud you hit solid bottom underneath.

If you started grinding down here like that, you'd be 4 feet down or further before bottoming out. There are places around all the edges of the sloughs and drainages that you never bottom out. It's fun with a big QuadTrac to see just how deep you can dig!

I filmed that video from my home property. It is a little more stable there and it seems like they cut cane in that field when it rains every year.There are places around here with what appears to be no bottom. Last year was an extremely wet grinding (grinding is a generic term used here for the sugar cane harvest). A lot of farmers left cane standing in the field, it was just to wet and muddy to cut it and haul it out. That is the first time remember that happening.

This is an older cutter. They would cut the cane and then go back and load it in wagons. Even older cutters were single row. They are far more efficient now.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (17CalFan, 222Sako, 22250rem, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 47 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,006
Posts18,481,440
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.