Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Stonecutter, I have carried similar umbrellas for years too. The only issue I have with mine is when the cover is stretched taught the great big rain drops will sound off like a bass drum when they hit.
Fortunately the ones I have can still be used in a more relaxed position that eliminates the issue.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. It's probably not much louder that the rain hitting everything else, but it beats the hell out of being soaking wet.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
we skipped opening day this saturday due to the steady rain, I've got about 3 more months to hunt so why bother. We went out yesterday afternoon after the son finally came out and saw 15 deer and a big pic. Probably the first opening I've missed in 30 years.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Stay dry sitting in the Scottsdale, be sweet if she had power windows.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by slumlord
Stay dry sitting in the Scottsdale, be sweet if she had power windows.

The old guys around here call that a Detroit blind

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Add me to the list of having had good success hunting in a light rain. Especially when it rains just hard enough to send the other hunters packing and I have the farm to myself... smile

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have an old barn and sit up in the loft in rain , its been a lucky spot when I don't take a nap .

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have hunted in rain. Deer move good in light rain and they move good after a heavy rain. They lay low during a heavy rain.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by wreckster84
Even though I would typically not hunt in steady rain, just wondering how many here have seen and killed decent bucks during bad weather?

We always hunted in the rain when I was growing up. We were 20-25 miles inland from the Oregon coast at the base of some mountains where the clouds were forced upward, cooled, and dumped. It was pretty normal to get 3-5 inches of rain a day toward the end of deer season. Didn't know there was any other way to hunt. I'd generally wear a tee shirt, flannel shirt, and maybe a light vest, and jeans under neoprene bibs and an neoprene jacket. Head gear was a cowboy hat with a plastic rain cover. One of my buddys painted his cowboy hat with Thompson's Water Seal.

I don't really like hunting in the rain anymore but it can be very productive. IMHO the first day of rain sucks. The deer keg up in the dry spots. You need to give it time to soak through so everything is equally drenched. After that, they give up and go back to doing what they do but they can't hear you over the rain and it also takes away your scent.

Rain is not your enemy. Wind is a bigger problem, at least hunting brush, because everything is moving making it harder to detect moving deer.

If you really want to learn about hunting deer in the rain, talk to the guys who hunt Sitkas along the SE Alaska coast and blacktails on the Olympic Peninsula. Wet as we got, I think we were pikers compared to them.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The only negative of hunting in the rain is blood trails on marginal hits get diminished or disappear if it is too heavy.

If you understand that you approach the after shot stuff differently, IE Correctly. Its not that hard to find a deer without a blood trail. Of course our dog makes that much easier and fun too, but without dog you just have to make sure you leave em alone IE don't go look AT ALL, and give em time, and then they usually aren't far off, just go look.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've killed some of my best bucks in a soaking rain. They are always out there.

Were they up and moving without being jumped? Feeding or looking for does, Bh?
Sometimes yes, up and moving. Back in 1994 opening day was damn near hurricane conditions here. Driving rain and gusting winds of probably 30-40 mph. Trees swaying, branches falling. I was a bit late getting out that morning {almost didn't go because of the storm} but as it turned out didn't have to endure the weather for long. Killed a big 8 point as soon as I got to my stand. In fact, I never even climbed up. Was getting my pullup rope out and fixing to tie to my rifle when I caught movement out of the corner of my eye and here he comes. His rack looks nice hanging here in the living room.

Good deal.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,234
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.