Hop To
Page 29 of 43 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 42 43
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And that's the attitude many dead bikers had.

How many dead bicyclists have you interviewed? Have you not yet learned that you need to bring your A game with me?

Many dead bikers had that attitude also.

You remind me of the asswhole pediatrician we had in the multidisiplinary clinic I practiced at until the evening he pushed his luck too far and got plastered by a lady in a car.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/21/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
That ended that.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And that's the attitude many dead bikers had.

How many dead bicyclists have you interviewed? Have you not yet learned that you need to bring your A game with me?

Many dead bikers had that attitude also.

You remind me of the asswhole pediatrician we had in the multidisiplinary clinic I practiced at until the evening he pushed his luck too far and got plastered by a lady in a car.

You won't see me argue that there are not a lot of bad drivers out there.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Most certainly a dickhead, bicycle and all. ^^^^^^

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DMc

Most certainly a dickhead, bicycle and all. ^^^^^^

What could I have possibly said to hurt your feelings? You'd never know from the responses here that they are coming from the rough and tough, freedom loving party of personal responsibility.

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by flagstaff
Originally Posted by JGray
Did you ever consider that those cyclists you claim don't pay fuel taxes more than likely also own and drive motor vehicles?

Yes, I have.

But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on.

Have you ever done any research into how roads are funded?

Here's one article.

https://momentummag.com/free-rider-myth/

Along with many more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Actually, I retired as a transportation manager for a County so I know quite a bit about transportation funding. I did it for a living.

The first article you sent says car don’t pay taxes. That’s true. But it doesn’t mention fuel taxes, or Highway Users Revenue Fund, or HURF. That’s collected by the government for every gallon or gas or diesel collected. Depends on the individual State, but it’s typically around $.40/gallon. That money is then dispersed to fund road construction and maintenance. Which by the way, are not getting a passing grade like most of the infrastructure (dams, bridges, water delivery systems, roads, etc.) rating here in the US.

So no, that bicycle shoulder on the side of the road is not in any way paid directly for that shoulder. True, that bicyclist probably buys gas and diesel too, but so does everyone else. But they don’t get special stuff for their fuel tax. By the bicycle community does.

If bicyclist had to pay say $20/day to use that bike path or shoulder construction and maintenance, I am guessing many wouldn’t. But they are getting it free now. And fricken complain about the condition of what they are getting free and don’t abide by traffic laws like the car next to them has to. The car that has fuel in it that paid the tax. Which that bike didn’t.

That’s messed up.

So you do understand that cyclists do pay for roads. In every jurisdiction I have studied, ad valorem taxes pay for municipality and county roads and general tax fund money is used for state and federal roads. Glad we were able to dispense with the myth that cyclists don't pay for roads.

Originally Posted by JGray
Did you ever consider that those cyclists you claim don't pay fuel taxes more than likely also own and drive motor vehicles?

Yes, I have.

But when they are riding on their bike, on that shoulder, or that trail through the woods or along that river, that bike didn't pay for any of what they are riding on.

Have you ever done any research into how roads are funded?

Here's one article.

https://momentummag.com/free-rider-myth/

Along with many more.

https://www.google.com/search?q=do+...404j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Actually, I retired as a transportation manager for a County so I know quite a bit about transportation funding. I did it for a living.

The first article you sent says car don’t pay taxes. That’s true. But it doesn’t mention fuel taxes, or Highway Users Revenue Fund, or HURF. That’s collected by the government for every gallon or gas or diesel collected. Depends on the individual State, but it’s typically around $.40/gallon. That money is then dispersed to fund road construction and maintenance. Which by the way, are not getting a passing grade like most of the infrastructure (dams, bridges, water delivery systems, roads, etc.) rating here in the US.

So no, that bicycle shoulder on the side of the road is not in any way paid directly for that shoulder. True, that bicyclist probably buys gas and diesel too, but so does everyone else. But they don’t get special stuff for their fuel tax. By the bicycle community does.

If bicyclist had to pay say $20/day to use that bike path or shoulder construction and maintenance, I am guessing many wouldn’t. But they are getting it free now. And fricken complain about the condition of what they are getting free and don’t abide by traffic laws like the car next to them has to. The car that has fuel in it that paid the tax. Which that bike didn’t.

That’s messed up.

So you do understand that cyclists do pay for roads. In every jurisdiction I have studied, ad valorem taxes pay for municipality and county roads and general tax fund money is used for state and federal roads. Glad we were able to dispense with the myth that cyclists don't pay for roads.

Bicyclists pay for the road only if they are buying gas or diesel. Which I have never seen a bicycle filled with gas by the way.

This issue is the same as say, a tourist from Germany who stops and fills his rental car with gas. Except we don’t give him a special lane to drive on. But we do bicyclist. And also sidewalks for pedestrians for that matter. And the biggest rub: the tourist doesn’t complain about the condition of his special lane and act entitled and snobbish like he is “owed” that lane like the bicycle community often does.

In my State, unless the voters approve a special tax to fund roads, zero ad vsloreum or general taxes are used to fund road construction or maintenance. But even if the voters do approve it, those taxes are not “sold” to the to fund bicycle paths as that tax would not be approved by the majority of the voters.

Last edited by flagstaff; 10/21/19.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Old Ornery
Road bicycling was my recovery exercise after I had a hip and knee replacement, so now I can hunt deer in the mountains. I’m all for it. That said, I don’t like the jerky club riders, they are a bunch of weenies!

As far as road taxes go, so what if bicyclist don’t pay direct fees/taxes, almost all of them drive cars and pay taxes for the roads anyway.

Well, I personally don’t like to see the taxes I pay for get siphoned off to fund something else of which is not paying for their fair share. And then have the nerve to complain about it.

Would you be willing then to, say, from taxes your paying, to fund a special lane on the road for people with blue cars, or teachers, or single moms, or whatever knowing you are not part of that special group? I’m not.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

Bicyclists pay for the road only if they are buying gas or diesel. Which I have never seen a bicycle filled with gas by the way.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Nothin special, just a POS liberal @sshole, usin bikin steada gun control to display his/its? chronic assholia.

Self-centered POS qweer know-it-not, tryin ta lecture normal people.

Dress up in qweer clothes, so other qweers will know what ya are, and ta shove your get a lifestyle in normal people's faces.

End up, only other qweers, dykes and @ssholes will be around ya.

Special "shorts" that ya pay extra for, cause they got a insert that lets your ass take a poundin all day.

And be ready ta take a poundin the next day, too.

Bicycle seat specially shaped like a cock and balls, pointier the better for comfort, with a quick-detach feature in case ya see some bushes and can't wait til ya get home.

Just another antifag, cept ya use a bike ta block the road and harrass good people.

Then act like a big pussy when your ass gets properly kicked.

Claim ta be "in shape" but if you actually was, you wouldn't need 18,634 gears ta go up a hill.

Pussies and qweers get all the attention in society anymore, certainly the attraction for a loser that doesn't have the skill ta build up, but only drag others down.

Strange how tention hos and bicycles coincide.

To sum up:

And the horse you rode in on.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Entertaining watching people act like commie liberals getting torqued attaching politics to inanimate objects.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ride where you like. It's free. Internal combustion is paying your way. Personally I will never submit my life to the driving skills of an unknown driver apart from me by the width of a white line. Death is inches away and can created by a multitude of simple human actions; a sneeze, a glance to the side, dropped phone, simple inattention, a wild card event resulting in a weave or 12" or less into the legally designated bike lane. 2 tons vs 50 lbs. Who's the winner? Does it matter who had the right of way? NO. Unarguable. Dead is dead. Play the odds, take your chances.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Backroads
When your recreational pastime is to impede traffic by moving a full 50mph under the posted speed limit on a highway with 12 inches of pavement outside the white line, you might be an azzhole.
Got a bike lane? Mountain bike? All good.

I have never experienced difficulty going around a cyclist. If you experience difficulty, maybe it's you?

Dude. I pedal. I have never ran a biker off the road while driving, but have come across many idiots that put themselves in grave danger while riding.
Pedaling at 15-20mph on a 70mph blacktop with literally 12 inches of pavement out side the white line for recreation is reckless, although legal.
What is your opinion on canoeing in major shipping lanes?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Bicyclists pay for the road only if they are buying gas or diesel.

In my State, unless the voters approve a special tax to fund roads, zero ad vsloreum or general taxes are used to fund road construction or maintenance.

I learned something Arizona is not yet using other tax monies for county and city roads. Unless they accept state monies to help with funding, which almost always happens. Just remember if you ever drive through a city where you haven't paid for gas you are stealing the use of that road!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shootem
Ride where you like. It's free. Internal combustion is paying your way. Personally I will never submit my life to the driving skills of an unknown driver apart from me by the width of a white line. Death is inches away and can created by a multitude of simple human actions; a sneeze, a glance to the side, dropped phone, simple inattention, a wild card event resulting in a weave or 12" or less into the legally designated bike lane. 2 tons vs 50 lbs. Who's the winner? Does it matter who had the right of way? NO. Unarguable. Dead is dead. Play the odds, take your chances.

The rule of gross tonnage is often invoked when human decency and operating skill fall short. I am surprised to learn that so many of the 'fire members struggle with the basic driving skill needed to negotiate the occasional cyclist. Maybe some should reevaluate whether guns are safe in their hands. Get hit with a stray bullet, Who's the winner? Does it matter who had the right of way? NO. Unarguable. Dead is dead. Play the odds, take your chances. Right?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Well that is it...if I had known that riding a bike would upset so many people then I would have purchased one before now.

I am told that it is the best way to strengthen knees.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Well that is it...if I had known that riding a bike would upset so many people then I would have purchased one before now.

I am told that it is the best way to strengthen knees.

Did you have a bike when I you were a kid? Just as much fun now cool

And easy on the knees.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Death is inches away and can created by a multitude of simple human actions; a sneeze, a glance to the side, dropped phone, simple inattention, a wild card event resulting in a weave or 12" or less into the legally designated bike lane. 2 tons vs 50 lbs. Who's the winner? Does it matter who had the right of way? NO. Unarguable. Dead is dead. Play the odds, take your chances.

Ya, but you’ll be in really good shape until then 🙂

Actually, I’m not seeking death, but at this point in my life there’s worse ways to go.

The biggest downside would be inflicting on someone else the burden of having killed me.

At 62, because of bicycles I can be athletic, every day. And at 62 I can ride a bicycle all the way across West Texas in summer, and then decide to turn right at the NM State Line and go up the Plains instead.

So for me it’s worth the risk.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Did you have a bike when I you were a kid? Just as much fun now cool

And easy on the knees.

Apart from around town Birdie there is not a lot one can do with a bicycle here, sort of an out of the way place where b-doubles, road trains, and b-triples rule the road and the tyranny of distance dampens enthusiasm.

Hay plains.

A wise man does not take to the road on a bike here.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Paul, I do believe all you have done in this thread is confirm the worst stereotype people have of cyclists.

That being not their riding , but their personalities.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Death is inches away and can created by a multitude of simple human actions; a sneeze, a glance to the side, dropped phone, simple inattention, a wild card event resulting in a weave or 12" or less into the legally designated bike lane. 2 tons vs 50 lbs. Who's the winner? Does it matter who had the right of way? NO. Unarguable. Dead is dead. Play the odds, take your chances.

Ya, but you’ll be in really good shape until then 🙂

Actually, I’m not seeking death, but at this point in my life there’s worse ways to go.

The biggest downside would be inflicting on someone else the burden of having killed me.

At 62, because of bicycles I can be athletic, every day. And at 62 I can ride a bicycle all the way across West Texas in summer, and then decide to turn right at the NM State Line and go up the Plains instead.

So for me it’s worth the risk.

I can't tell anyone in this limited space what cycling has done for me. I've rode over 60 miles in the last 2 days. I couldn't even walk a mile last year because of bad knees and back and being over weight. I was on 4 pain pills a day and 4 injections every 3 months. I have no pain now with no meds or injections,and my weight has gone from 330 to 175. I'm 51 and feel better and can do more physically than I have ever been able to do.

Page 29 of 43 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.