Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
John:

Did you happen to catch Dave Anderson's article in Guns (Dec 19) on the 7x57 being a sort of long action Creedmoor? I was just wondering what your thoughts are. Evidently, those long throats for the old cartridge might come in handy after all!

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mike. Not Mule Deer but I just read it myself. Interesting concept. I have the push feed M70 FWT, and an early red pad Ruger #1 in 7x57. My Mauser has the 1 in 8.5" twist but if giving me fits due to high pressure problems. Gonna have to take some measurements the next time out at the range. The rifle has a very tight chamber and fired brass barely shows a pressure ring at all so I'm thinking the rifle was chambered with a reamer that was sharpened maybe one time too many and the neck portion of the chamber might be quite tight. Guess I'll have to use a few rounds of factory and hand loads and get measurements from both. I've noted before that hand load made to duplicate the 1892/3 load with 175 gr. bullets gave normal velocities but the Mauser 100 FPS higher and then some. Even so, I can't come close to what the M70 and #1 do in velocity with he Mauser.
BTW, have you seen the new Speer #15 Manual? It's got some interesting speeds for the 7x57. I was kind of worried about my Re17 load that did 2900 FPS as maybe being a bit too much but while Speer didn't use Re17 with a 150 gr. bullet they did with their 160 gr. bullet and it's just below what I use for the 150 gr. Nosler. With Re17 they start with 40.4gr. for 2460 FPS and top out at 44.0 for 2646 FPS. They used a 24" barrel.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mike. Not Mule Deer but I just read it myself. Interesting concept. I have the push feed M70 FWT, and an early red pad Ruger #1 in 7x57. My Mauser has the 1 in 8.5" twist but if giving me fits due to high pressure problems. Gonna have to take some measurements the next time out at the range. The rifle has a very tight chamber and fired brass barely shows a pressure ring at all so I'm thinking the rifle was chambered with a reamer that was sharpened maybe one time too many and the neck portion of the chamber might be quite tight. Guess I'll have to use a few rounds of factory and hand loads and get measurements from both. I've noted before that hand load made to duplicate the 1892/3 load with 175 gr. bullets gave normal velocities but the Mauser 100 FPS higher and then some. Even so, I can't come close to what the M70 and #1 do in velocity with he Mauser.
BTW, have you seen the new Speer #15 Manual? It's got some interesting speeds for the 7x57. I was kind of worried about my Re17 load that did 2900 FPS as maybe being a bit too much but while Speer didn't use Re17 with a 150 gr. bullet they did with their 160 gr. bullet and it's just below what I use for the 150 gr. Nosler. With Re17 they start with 40.4gr. for 2460 FPS and top out at 44.0 for 2646 FPS. They used a 24" barrel.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
VLD bullets often need shorter throats, not longer.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Mike, I'm not Mule Deer either...but you knew that...

You should also know that it is the purest form of heresy to put "7x57" and "Creedmoor" in the same sentence, let alone the same paragraph or even article.

You need repentance ....bad.

Last edited by ingwe; 10/21/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike,

Haven't read GUNS in close to a year, since parting ways with them.

But the second chapter of GUN GACK II uses the 7x57 (specifically my custom rifle) to demonstrate the advantages of higher BC in moderate-velocity rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well John it looks like you just sold me another book! After adding my 3rd 7x57 two weeks ago, an older Ruger no. 1 to go along with my Hawkeye African 275 and CZ 550 l’m hungry for more reference material.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Interesting comments; much appreciated.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by ingwe
Mike, I'm not Mule Deer either...but you knew that...

You should also know that it is the purest form of heresy to put "7x57" and "Creedmoor" in the same sentence, let alone the same paragraph or even article.

You need repentance ....bad.

I need repentance from a lot of things!!

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Mike,

Haven't read GUNS in close to a year, since parting ways with them.

I wondered about that considering that there is an article written by you on page 48 of the same issue. I'll pull Gack II and re-read it. Thanks for the tip.

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That was a leftover article, that for some reason they decided to hold rather than run it at the scheduled time. I just got the check the other day, but no contributor's copy of the issue--at least so far.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Ah. That makes sense.

BTW, I'm going to derail my own thread. Did I read someplace that you bought one of the new Mausers? Maybe a M12 or M18?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't read the Guns article but if you examine the throat diameter on the Creedmoor vs. the 7x57, you'll find that one of the Creedmoor's greatest attributes (extremely limited throat-to-bullet clearance) is not comparable on the 7x57, at least according to the CIP drawings.

Last edited by Woodhits; 10/22/19. Reason: correction
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm certainly not Mule Deer.

Let's be clear on that.

Thank you.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Woodhits
I haven't read the Guns article but if you examine the throat diameter on the Creedmoor vs. the 7x57, you'll find that one of the Creedmoor's greatest attributes (extremely limited throat-to-bullet clearance) is not comparable on the 7x57, at least according to the CIP drawings.

Right. But I think his point was that the longer throat on the 7x57 allows the bullets to be seated farther out, thereby not encroaching on powder space with heavy for caliber bullets, one of the things the Creedmoor was designed to avoid.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RevMike

Right. But I think his point was that the longer throat on the 7x57 allows the bullets to be seated farther out, thereby not encroaching on powder space with heavy for caliber bullets, one of the things the Creedmoor was designed to avoid.

On that point, it's a fair comparison. I only shoot 175gr. Partitions in my 7x57 so I guess I'm ahead of the game.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Actually, the Creedmoor was NOT designed with powder space in mind, but being able to seat longer bullets securely, without part of the ogive inside the neck.

Plus, it takes a large-caliber bullet seated DEEPLY in a small-capacity case to even make 100 fps of difference in velocity. In smaller calibers like 6.5 the difference in powder space when, say, seating bullets 1/4" deeper is so small it's insignificant.

John Steinbeck
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
John,

Mr. Anderson had a picture of a high BC bullet loaded in both the 7x57 and .280 Rem. The ogive of the bullet was inside the neck on the .280, not even close on the 7x57.

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I only shoot 175gr. Partitions in my 7x57 so I guess I'm ahead of the game.

Both the Ingwe Special and my old Zastava M98 like them a lot.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by RevMike
John,

Mr. Anderson had a picture of a high BC bullet loaded in both the 7x57 and .280 Rem. The ogive of the bullet was inside the neck on the .280, not even close on the 7x57.

Yes, that can be true--but also depends on magazine length, and also throat length of 7x57's.

But my point involved your claim that the 6.5 Creedmoor was designed to allow bullets to be seated out there they don't decrease powder room. That is not true. In fact, the CM case body is short enough that powder capacity is slightly less LESS than the .260 Remington's , no matter what bullet is used.

The major point was NOT powder capacity, but the ogive/neck relationship in standard short magazines, which are about 2.85 inches long.

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1moredeer, 12344mag, 67 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,810
Posts18,477,583
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.