Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by tomt53
do you have any pictures of your bedding.

Here’s a laminated stock with the lug bedded into it... the synthetics bed up the same.

Tikkas are wonderfully accurate right out of the box... but I’ve seen some moderately wandering zeros with them. The bedding fixes that. I’ve never seen one shoot worse after bedding... but I’ve seen a bunch of them go from accurate... to damn accurate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That's been my experience too. Nice bedding job by the way. My superlite went from crappy shooting:

To pretty acceptable accuracy:
After bedding^^^

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Most will not notice precision improving with or without the speed bumps. However, static POI from various rests is improved with them gone.

Exactamundo....^^^^^

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Originally Posted by tomt53
do you have any pictures of your bedding.

Here’s a laminated stock with the lug bedded into it... the synthetics bed up the same.

Tikkas are wonderfully accurate right out of the box... but I’ve seen some moderately wandering zeros with them. The bedding fixes that. I’ve never seen one shoot worse after bedding... but I’ve seen a bunch of them go from accurate... to damn accurate.

This beds the lug permanently in the stock?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes... permanently bedded into the stock.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes... permanently bedded into the stock.

Yes, lugs are cheap. Accuracy isn't....

I like my actions in the stocks tight. If it wiggles, it's going to shoot like chit. Check out these pics where I painted the bedding to match the stock. I've shot 200 rounds down this Sako and the paint hasn't even thought about marring. That tells me it's pretty solid. A good foundation to build accuracy off of:
^^^This Sako A7 is freefloated from the factory, but I put a small pad in front of the chamber because it's a pretty heavy barrel. ^^^ I do the same thing with the CTR and Superlite. The proof that it works is in the targets that I post...

Now, for the speed bumps on the superlite, here's a pic of how I dremmeled them out of the way. Barrel freefloats great now:
Like Formid said, if it's not adequately freefloating, when you apply pressure to the stock via sling or bi-pod, that will shift your POI. The main reason I freefloat my rifles. I don't like POI shift of any kind...

My CTR didn't have speed bumps, it was freefloated from the factory, but you can see how I glassed the recoil lug into the stock. Everything is solid like fort knox. That's the best guarantee you'll have a good consistent shooting rifle:

Yes, I fill in those voids too. It stiffens up the stock. I use quick steel in there and then glass bed with Devcon steel...

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Man that's great. I do plan on changing out the recoil lug to Mountain Tactical SS one even if it does shoot well with the bumps. Just for peace of mind and at only $30, even if its permanently bedded into original stock so be it. Get another for aftermarket stock later on down the road.

Also, did you eventually fill in all the voids or just the one in front of the recoil lug? Didn't want to add too much weight to it thus trying to keep the original stock.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=1025993

Make all the changes you want, heck it’s your money. You probably won’t need to.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDupontJr
Man that's great. I do plan on changing out the recoil lug to Mountain Tactical SS one even if it does shoot well with the bumps. Just for peace of mind and at only $30, even if its permanently bedded into original stock so be it. Get another for aftermarket stock later on down the road.

Also, did you eventually fill in all the voids or just the one in front of the recoil lug? Didn't want to add too much weight to it thus trying to keep the original stock.

The only voids I filled were the ones by the recoil lug right under the chamber area and then the ones near the tang. I also don't want to add an excessive amount of weight. It's nice to keep a 5.9 pound rifle at that weight, not add a quarter pound of bedding material, so I try to keep it to a minimum... One thing about it, it did improve the accuracy of my Tikka's... The second CTR was terrible when I got it, but it's not bad at all now:

The Sako A7 really turned around as well. That rifle is surprising, as it shoots just about anything I've tried in it sub moa:
^^^^^That's factory ammo^^^^^. It likes my handloads better...

BSA MAGA
L
L
Anybody ever tried filling the forestock with ??? whatever it is 'ala Nathan at https://www.ballisticstudies.com/

I didn't really say all that stuff......Confucius
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 37 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,581
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.