Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
How much time do you give someone to respond when they say they want an item you have for sale? I posted items for sale on the 21st. I responded promptly to those who said they wanted the items by PM telling them it was theirs. I also gave them the options for payment in the original thread. Two of the gentlemen who wanted the items paid promptly. One has yet to reply to my PM or to the original thread. It has been 2 days and have heard nothing. I even asked him to let me know if he was sending a MO and gave him my mailing address and my ph. # in case there were any questions. I don't want to sell the item that is left to someone and then receive a MO in the mail, but neither do I want to wait a week and not here from him. So, what do any of you think is the right amount of time to wait? I know this is an age old question on here and there is no correct, one size fits all answer. But if I do sell the item again, I don't want to get on here tomorrow and find a 3 page thread about how I didn't give someone enough time to respond...lol. Thanks, Eddie

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I wonderer who that was?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am surprised you had to PM them?!
When I want an item for sale I initiate a PM to to seller.

Ray
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It’s only been two days right? I would say another two as I would guess you aren’t desperate.
My .02....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Money talks and bullschit walks.

Send him a PM and tell him if he doesn't contact you in the next 24 hours that you're going to put it back up for sale and sell it to someone else.

I sell building material for a living. I get contractors everyday that come in here and tag tons of material that they need in about a week or so and don't pay for it. If it's still here 2 weeks later, I call them and ask about it. It seems like half the time they tell me that the homeowner changed their mind. It's like, when the hell were they going to tell me this? Other times they tell me that they are getting ready to do the job, but the stuff sits here another month. I don't make a dime unless it's paid for. In a months time, I could have sold the item 5 times and brought new stuff in. They don't care because they're not holding up their money or inventory. I have little patience for that BS.

Rant over.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
How much time do you give someone to respond when they say they want an item you have for sale? I posted items for sale on the 21st. I responded promptly to those who said they wanted the items by PM telling them it was theirs. I also gave them the options for payment in the original thread. Two of the gentlemen who wanted the items paid promptly. One has yet to reply to my PM or to the original thread. It has been 2 days and have heard nothing. I even asked him to let me know if he was sending a MO and gave him my mailing address and my ph. # in case there were any questions. I don't want to sell the item that is left to someone and then receive a MO in the mail, but neither do I want to wait a week and not here from him. So, what do any of you think is the right amount of time to wait? I know this is an age old question on here and there is no correct, one size fits all answer. But if I do sell the item again, I don't want to get on here tomorrow and find a 3 page thread about how I didn't give someone enough time to respond...lol. Thanks, Eddie

So it sounds like you've been waiting for 2 days for a reply. I'd send them PM telling them you need to know their intentions within 24 hours of receipt of your PM or you'll be putting it up for someone else to buy. If you want to be generous in case of an emergency on their end give them another day or two, but I'd send them an message with a time limit and stick by it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Nah just sell to next person. If they haven’t contacted you by now they’re not going to. They’re just not telling you they’re not interested anymore. If someone wants to really buy something they’ll get back to you within an hour at most.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have they read your original PM???

Have they been logged in since the sale???

If someone hasn't read my message or been logged in, I give em more time. Some of us work and have lives that dont allow constant internet. I'm sure I'm not the only one that still has areas with no cell service.

But if they've read it, been logged in etc....I'd send a message to them with a firm timeframe on confirmation and payment.

I do more buying than selling. I try to be as prompt as I can...and if the seller wants a MO I tell them what day I can make it to the post office...with work and life, it usually takes me a couple days to get a MO. But when working on a transaction, i try to get on and respond as often as I can till it's all worked out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Due to lack of communication... sold to next offer.

Cut and paste.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
if you have lives that dont allow you to be on the net then you shouldnt be on it posting you will take a item then going off doing something else.. its just common courtesty if you initiate the sale by saying you will take it then you follow up to get the show on the road..unless there's a emergency such as a death etc there is no excuse for holding up the sale.. even then it takes 5 minutes to let seller know whats going on..
Id be selling it to the next I will take it..

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on the situation. I sold something on here a few years back and my Mother passed away unexpectedly the day I posted it. I kind of forgot for a few days and it was about 5 days before i touched back with the buyer and apologized. Things happen in peoples lives. I'd say 5 days maybe.

Last edited by k20350; 10/23/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
More than once I've had the same thing happen--and a couple of times the buyer apparently thought saying he'd take it, and then mailing a check or money order to the address I provided, without telling me it was on the way, was OK. In one instance I never heard from him for several days, and he hadn't logged in on the Fire. He was apparently somewhat startled when he eventually did log on and read my PM asking if he really wanted the item.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Depends on who it is. If it’s a person that’s on this board and contributing frequently, I’d give a few more days. If it’s not, send a pm and tell them 24 hours, or it’s back up for sale.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Adluginb
If someone wants to really buy something they’ll get back to you within an hour at most.

This.

Exception would be if the buyer had PM'd to explain they need more time and you had agreed.

Reasoning being, if they have time to PM saying "I'll take it", then they have time to communicate to finalize the purchase.

JMHO

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little off topic but i have made several purchases where the seller requested pay pal. I immediately sent the Pay pal payment only to wait a week with no item in hand. Upon messaging the sellers i got "I'm out of town and wont be shipping for a few more days"
In my opinion if you are out of town and dont plan on shipping the item for sale in a reasonable time frame then either dont post it for sale until you are home and able to ship or disclose in the ad that you are out of town and will not be shipping quickly.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by 1holeaddict
A little off topic but i have made several purchases where the seller requested pay pal. I immediately sent the Pay pal payment only to wait a week with no item in hand. Upon messaging the sellers i got "I'm out of town and wont be shipping for a few more days"
In my opinion if you are out of town and dont plan on shipping the item for sale in a reasonable time frame then either dont post it for sale until you are home and able to ship or disclose in the ad that you are out of town and will not be shipping quickly.

Also this or if you are going to be gone out of town make buyers aware in original post up front.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shinbone
Originally Posted by Adluginb
If someone wants to really buy something they’ll get back to you within an hour at most.

This.

Exception would be if the buyer had PM'd to explain they need more time and you had agreed.

Reasoning being, if they have time to PM saying "I'll take it", then they have time to communicate to finalize the purchase.

JMHO

Some people don't live on the computer. Once a day has been a norm. for a while. If I don't reply in a day, or maybe two. I'm out of touch, and you should move on.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The buyer of the brass has stated in a transaction earlier this year that he doesn't do paypal. Did you give him an address for USPS MO?

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, Barney I did give him the address in the PM. I didn't see the post earlier this year, but that would have been nice to have seen and remembered, I suppose.

The gentleman has contacted me with his intentions to send a MO. I appreciate the replies, and as I suppose I suspected, and as we all know that everyone has an opinion...lol. I do prefer to give someone the benefit of the doubt, it's just hard to judge how long to give up on someone whose circumstances you do not know about. Thanks again, everyone...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I recently thinned the herd. Can't even remember how many pictures I sent. At any rate towards the end I called things closed, or reply NOW. I'm willing to wait, but 48 hours is my limit, especially when others are asking. The other thing is the "CLINGON'S" as I call them talking, talking, but never commit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 14 invisible), 1,292 guests, and 847 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.