Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They are not making any more land. Undeveloped around here in larger tracts almost always sells for less per acre than a smaller tract. Get a price of what tracts of like size and condition are selling for (not asking price but actual sales) as that is how a lender will approach it then make an offer based on that. Get a loan or and down monies in your pocket then make a serious offer. Do not wait all they can say is no but show them you are not just kicking tires....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Nothing stays the same. Enjoy what you have and forget the other properties.

Debt is slavery.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Other than the simple roof over your head need, additional land holdings are a part of a larger investment portfolio and retirement time horizon plan. There are lots of things that need to be reviewed in your financial situation with that in mind. Does the additional land investment and its carrying costs fit your future plans?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would give the old fugger a call. Maybe even a visit.

You say the property is listed. Big agency or small, independent one?

Yes, I realize that realators are useful and good....but they have fugged up as many land deals as they have helped facilitate.

Give his a call.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I would give the old fugger a call. Maybe even a visit.

You say the property is listed. Big agency or small, independent one?

Yes, I realize that realators are useful and good....but they have fugged up as many land deals as they have helped facilitate.

Give his a call.

This ^^^^^ looking someone in the eye and spittin' over the fence with 'em has worked more often than not...they may be letting the minerals go with it too. Never hurts to ask...

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
If they are asking that kind of price, then you know they are looking for a developer with the deep pockets. If it were me, I would try everything possible to get a lock on it. There should be some price reduction in there somewhere.

Yep. Nobody but developers and commercial property asks or gets that much for wooded property. They're not really interested in selling it if that's the price.

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Lots of good advice here but sooner or later, land has to pay for itself. Maybe you can figure out a way to make that happen. Perhaps you have to buy it, divide it, sell a few parcels while retaining some semblance of control to make it work. Do you have conservation easements available? That can be an option. I wouldn't simply spend $1.6mm on something like that for the uses you describe.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Put yours up for sale for $9K an acre and reject every offer.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought my 100 acres 35 years ago for $300.00 an acre, 60% woods, 40% pasture/hay fields. A little later, the adjoining 65 acres went on the market, asking $750 an acre, which I figured was outrageous. I offered 500, and the absentee owner got pizzed and took it off the market. Fast forward 30 years- - - - -it sold a couple of years ago- - - - -for $2500.00 an acre! I wish I'd bought it at 750, but I would have had to sell my soul to do it back then!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Whiptail

Put yours up for sale for $9K an acre and reject every offer.

Lol

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The older I get the less I want a loan for anything. Including land.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
$1.6 Million. Non-issue. You got what you got, enjoy it.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
$10,000 an acre will buy prime Iowa crop land. The good farm ground will not pencil out at that price.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The land is over priced unless there's developers sniffing around and planning on putting a subdivision on it.

If no developers are interested in it, it's going to sell for much less. If developers *are* interested in it, you're going to have a tough time competing for it.

Also,...I don't know how it is around there. But banks here are very hesitant to loan money on undeveloped property here.

If it's over priced, the realtor handling the sale (if there is a realtor) knows that it's over priced and is probably biding his/her time until the owners get enough offers to gain an understanding of what people are willing to pay for it.

Many times, realtors will take a listing that they know is over priced because they know that the owner will eventually come around and offer it for what it's worth,......and it's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Decide what you're willing to pay for the property,..then call the realtor and give him/her the offer. You might not get it for that. But it will make your name available and it will demonstrate to the owner what a reasonable offer on the land is at this time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
If they are asking that kind of price, then you know they are looking for a developer with the deep pockets. If it were me, I would try everything possible to get a lock on it. There should be some price reduction in there somewhere.

^^^^

Sounds kind of steep. Yep, I think fishing for a developer, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I pay $5-10k for tillable ground in MD... the $10k is for irrigated with operable systems included.. these are 12mo fields that give winter grain crops as well.

If I was you, Id sell your existing tract and cash in if land is that high in the Roanoke area.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I might be wrong but I'd be surprised if that much undeveloped land in that area sells for 10K an acre anytime soon. In June of this year we sold one of the better located five acre lots in a very good; small, 13 parcels, view of the Peaks of Otter, etc., fully developed residential development about ten miles outside of Bedford for $49,500. We bought it 20 years ago for 34K. As I recall we first listed it about seven years ago. I 'd guess you can get it for less if you give it some time.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 10/24/19.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I would not come close to 10k/acre if I but an offer in. They just reduced and now it's 8.8k/acre.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Banks generally used to require a fairly substantial percentage in down payment in cash and/or collateral to loan money on what they term, 'undeveloped', land.

A guy I used to work with found that out after he'd won the bid at an auction on 70 acres -- a hilly, overgrown, landlocked w/easement, "poor man's", farm with little tillable acreage, a practically falling down old farm house and a couple of rotting outbuildings, ancient well and septic system, but did have electricity back to it. The old place had sat empty for years and had become like a wildlife sanctuary of sorts as it was surrounded by several thriving excellent farms with many acres of grain crops.

He had the 10% cash down required by auction but not anywhere close to the down payment the bank required to make the loan. He was finally able to close the deal by selling all the marketable timber and putting every last cent of that money on the down payment.

He and wife both had pretty decent incomes (wife was a veterinarian) but to help pay for it, property taxes, necessary improvements, new residence, maintenance equipment and such, still had to run several beef cattle on it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As I understand it this land will not produce any income?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

285 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 29 invisible), 1,337 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,094
Posts18,522,176
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.