Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I was just at the range shooting 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards on a ladder test... When suddenly my last heaviest ladder group scatters everywhere at a 2 foot radius. I then checked with a proven load and it’s still scattered.

I think obvious things to look at are my scope mounts and the scope itself. I’ll check screws and bedding on my picatinny rail, and I’ll check the tightness and position of my Warne PA Rings. I’ll check my scope (Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36) with a box tracking test. I have already checked action bolts torque when I was on site, but I will take the stock off later to see if there is any obvious with the bedding.

So is there anything else I need to consider?

Thanks,
Frank

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gee, sorry to hear this.
Let's hope it's somthing easy to fix.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I’m thinking most likely issues are scope mounting or the scope itself. It’s a bummer that I don’t have another scope to try - so that’s why I want to get into a box tracking test.
Any other recommendations?
Thanks

Last edited by Frankk; 10/24/19.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
After you secure the mounting set up, go back to the proven load and shoot a group. If it groups it was the mounting. If it doesn't group then a tracking test is a waste of time.

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
If tracking test is a waste of time, can you suggest any way to check the scope itself?

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Use a mirror laid flat on a table and center the reticle of your scope, then whack the scope in the palm of your hand a few times and put it back on the mirror to see if the reticle remains in alignment with the reflection in the mirror.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Two foot? Bad chit. .When you redo your mounts, note if everything was loose as hell or not?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Use a mirror laid flat on a table and center the reticle of your scope, then whack the scope in the palm of your hand a few times and put it back on the mirror to see if the reticle remains in alignment with the reflection in the mirror.

I put my scope on a mirror as suggested and it was interesting to see reflected shadow of crosshairs thru the mirror. So I adjusted the elevation and windage knobs to align the shadow of the crosshairs with the crosshairs as I assume you suggested for me to do. Then I “whacked” it with palm of my hand as suggested and I did not see any change in alignment. Please confirm whether I got all that right.. And thank you!

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Two foot? Bad chit. .When you redo your mounts, note if everything was loose as hell or not?

I just took everything apart and I did not find any of the mount screws to be loose. I checked with a torque driver. Base of rail to action appeared to still be 20 in-pds with blue loc-tite. Epoxy bedding on rear mating surface from rail to action still seems good. Bottom screws on vertical Warne PA Rings still appeared to be 25 in-pds, they were forward in the picatinny rail slot, and top ring screws to scope still appeared to be 20 in-pds.

I am using acetone to clean the loc-tite residue from rail screws, bottom of rail, and from the action. And I am similarly cleaning all other screws and mating surfaces. I’ll put everything together and give it another go at the range next week.

I would be grateful for other good ideas. Thank you

Last edited by Frankk; 10/24/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Frankk
Originally Posted by RiverRider

I put my scope on a mirror as suggested and it was interesting to see reflected shadow of crosshairs thru the mirror. So I adjusted the elevation and windage knobs to align the shadow of the crosshairs with the crosshairs as I assume you suggested for me to do. Then I “whacked” it with palm of my hand as suggested and I did not see any change in alignment. Please confirm whether I got all that right.. And thank you!

Sounds like you got it right, Frank. The technique can't prove a scope is good, but it can prove one is bad when you see the reticle go out of alignment with its reflection.

Hope you get the problem figured out without too much fuss!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had two rifles go from 1" or less to 2" or more last weekend. After I tightened the loose action screws they returned to normal. Just mentioning it.

Last edited by GrimJim; 10/24/19.
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thank you all. I just put everything back together and I will give it another go at the range next week.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What is the rifle and chambering?

Could it just be a dirty barrel? Although I have never seen one go that far out that quickly, I have seen accuracy deteriorate relatively quickly once I reach the point where it needs to be cleaned.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Sigh....

A dirty barrel is not producing 2ft groups.

Op,

You have a total scope failure, mount failure, loose barrel, or extremely loose action screws.

F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
It’s a very basic budget hunting rifle setup in 308win. Specific model is Browning AB3, with bedded pictatinny scope rail, Warne PA Rings and Leupold VX3i 2.5-8x36 scope.

I thought about the cleaning aspect, too, but still had problem after I cleaned it. Thank you for the response

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
AB3’s generally shoot well.

Vertical split rings are garbage and cause for quite a few scope issues. Leupold is beyond suspect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting problem and it's got me thinking (look out below! ;)).

Originally Posted by Frankk
I was just at the range shooting 3/4 MOA groups at 100 yards on a ladder test... When suddenly my last heaviest ladder group scatters everywhere at a 2 foot radius. I then checked with a proven load and it’s still scattered.

I could be wrong, but this to me says something BROKE. Suddenly.

I know you've tested the scope like I suggested, but it did not really PROVE the scope is good.

Ever had a guard screw fail? I'd have a look at the bedding just to make sure there's not some kind of structural or mechanical problem.

I think I'd mount a different scope on the rifle for the next trip to the range, if it was mine.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’d check:
1.Scope mounts
2. Carbon ring in the throat.
3. Excessive copper fouling
4. Scope
5. Muzzle device fouling and installation

Two feet is mega haywire. Are the bullets keyholing?

Could your powder charges be varying wildly?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
F
Frankk Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
You have a total scope failure, mount failure, loose barrel, or extremely loose action screws.

Thank you. I took the scope mount completely apart, cleaned everything up with acetone, and torqued everything per manufacturer recommendations.. And I did same with the action and its screws. Being a Browning, I’m pretty sure the barrel will never come loose from those fine threads and red loctite. I hope I don’t have a scope failure.

I was at one point getting a lot of really nice 3/4-inch groups with everything I had - but it seemed like something came loose with my last few test shots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sadly this is where your heading! Been there done that.

https://www.leupold.com/service-support/services-repair

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 35 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,308
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.