Hop To
C
Cascade Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Or, cell-phone antelope!

Craig, a good friend of mine who has been a part time chef for 20+ years, noted my enthusiasm for cooking and also noted my seriously under-educated skill level...

He also knew that I was a hunter, and that meat from game is often nowhere near as fatty as beef.

He recommended over a year ago that I try a "Sous Vide" for cooking. A what? "Soo-Vee" is how it's pronounced.

In the simplest terms possible, ya put a chunk of meat into a plastic bag, set it in a pot, and cook it for an hour or so. Then sear the outside in a hot pan for mere moments. The meat is never over-done, and is always juicy I was told.

Today I got a Very Early Christmas Present, a Joule Sous Vide device!

I decided to put it to work on an antelope steak from last fall. Put the steak into a zip lock bag with olive oil, rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic. Pushed most of the air out and sealed it up. Then via an app on my cell phone, I set the Joule to "medium rare" for a steak. It heated up the pot of water, I put the baggie with the steak into it, and waited while some potatoes cooked. While I was waiting I also cooked up some onion, red bell pepper, and mushrooms.

Less than an hour later, I seared the antelope steak on each side, in my cast iron skillet.

Put it all on the plate, and oh my goodness! I like antelope. This was the BEST I've ever had! Moist, perfectly done, nicely seasoned... Awesome. Here's some photos:

Prepping the antelope. I'd had it marinating:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Joule sous vide heating up to 133 degrees:

Onion & pepper in the cast iron skillet:

The finished meal. The best antelope steak I've ever enjoyed!

The Joule is almost $200, from Amazon. An alternative, half the price, is the Anova. On Craig's recommendation I went with the Joule and it worked perfectly. Oh my goodness, that was a good steak!

Regards, Guy

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Guy, I got my Joule last year for Christmas. What a darned game changer huh! I love the little sucker. I’ve done much the same as you with a few different cuts of meat and it has never been anything but excellent.

That antelope looks excellent. Need to hunt a couple of them up for the freezer. Congrats on the sous vide buddy. I think you’re going to have fun with it.

Semper Fi
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The antelope steak and sides look good. For lots of different Sous Vide recipes look on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpFuaxD-0PKLolFR3gWhrMw

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Running smoke over a batch of moose pastrami right now. It will be vacuum packed and cooked in the sous vide right after. Total game changer when making pastrami.

Even bigger advantage is with big summer sausage cooking. No more greased up oven and huge oily mess everywhere! After the smoke they get bagged and immersion cooked.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Used it in front of a friend last month and when he was driving home from the airport he stopped and bought a sous vide on the way...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It really is a game changer for game but don't discount it for veggies either. I did these @ 183 for an hour and half then in the sauté pan on high with the juices from their bag, a little butter and honey. Perfectly done and consistent from small tips to large ends.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those carrots are awesome!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I gave one of my sons an Anova a few years ago for Christmas and he loves it. Hid last Christmas's prime rib and it was the best I have ever had.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've been using an Anova for the past two years, It does wonders for most cuts of game meat. How? By tenderizing without overcooking. As an example, I vacuumed sealed an elk sirloin steak and put it the water bath at 130 degrees for 6 hours. Then I put a quick sear on it over a roaring hot grill. I did not marinade beforehand because I like the true flavor of elk. Very tender and medium-rare from edge to edge. Outstanding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Those carrots are awesome!

For the trip-color ones you have to do them in three different bags or the colors will bleed - they tasted the same but they look cool.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 9 invisible), 1,162 guests, and 724 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.