Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
357 Mag: S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum

44 Mag: Ruger Redhawk (Stout, definitely more durable than the S&W 29 if you pound heavy 44 Mag loads)

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntz
A stainless Ruger Bisley in 45 Long Colt in your barrel length choice .It is a great hunting round equalling or exceeding the 44 Mag in power.Loaded with 340 grain LNWM cast bullets it will kill anything in NA.Load with 250 grain SWC and it is a fantastic plinker with light loads.

Are Canadians allowed to hunt big/medium game with handguns???

If not, I'd buy a good .357 Mag. and a bunch of .38 Spec. ammo and learn to shoot well.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Rock Chuck; sorry I have absolutely no idea how the Taurus Judge falls into Canadian regulations.

George De Vries; I do hand load and have dies for .357 and .44. One of the reasons for choosing a revolver is the ability to load to both extremes. When I owned my last handgun (S&W J-Frame 5' 5 shot .357) I loaded from the 110 Hornady and the lightest powder charge possible to the heaviest charge possible with the 180 grain Hornady.

Thanks for all the input guys!

GRF

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
A stainless Ruger Bisley in 45 Long Colt in your barrel length choice .It is a great hunting round equalling or exceeding the 44 Mag in power.Loaded with 340 grain LNWM cast bullets it will kill anything in NA.Load with 250 grain SWC and it is a fantastic plinker with light loads.

Are Canadians allowed to hunt big/medium game with handguns???

If not, I'd buy a good .357 Mag. and a bunch of .38 Spec. ammo and learn to shoot well.

Just my opinion.

L.W.

Mine too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by GRF
Rock Chuck; sorry I have absolutely no idea how the Taurus Judge falls into Canadian regulations.

George De Vries; I do hand load and have dies for .357 and .44. One of the reasons for choosing a revolver is the ability to load to both extremes. When I owned my last handgun (S&W J-Frame 5' 5 shot .357) I loaded from the 110 Hornady and the lightest powder charge possible to the heaviest charge possible with the 180 grain Hornady.

Thanks for all the input guys!

GRF

You're on the right track. Let us know what you end up with!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I won't answer the caliber thing because you have not stated uses for it yet.

That said ruger stuff is heavy, solid, stout, bulky. Triggers used to always suck on them too. But if you pounded heavy loads all day, thats what I'd likely want. These days if not for something like bear defense, I know you can't defend yourself against people in CA anymore, then a Blackhawk might be my choice by far.

I much prefer S/W revolvers over ruger though.

Do you reload? That can factor in too.

Me... if only one handgun, I'd get a bigger rather than smaller and run reduced handloads in it most of the time. But again what we can do and use guns for here can be different than there. Example here, we carry 10mm Glocks against 2 and 4 legged. We hunt with them. Take game with them every year. thats a different use than plinking and target shooting or competition.

Best of luck

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No offense but your question is like "what is a good vehicle in a sedan, half ton pickup or passenger van".

What is the main intended use - targets, small/medium/large game, making noise and watching drink cans fly? Do you handload or will this be fed factory ammo only? How often and how much do you intend to shoot it - once per month, 200 rounds/week, rarely?

The answers to those will help narrow down an appropriate choice.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
No offense but your question is like "what is a good vehicle in a sedan, half ton pickup or passenger van".

What is the main intended use - targets, small/medium/large game? Do you handload or will this be fed factory ammo only? How often and how much do you intend to shoot it - once per month, 200 rounds/week, rarely?

The answers to those will help narrow down an appropriate choice.

He gave two reasons in his first line. Both good ones. I don't think Canadians can hunt with a handgun.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I got a Ruger 357 Security Six in stainless. I put a set of pachmayer grips on it. I'm set.

I have to agree, I'm set as well. Tough guns to beat, but they were made before the 4.2 restriction came into being. Maybe Canada has taken these into considerations, based on build dates, but I doubt it.

I agree with those that said consider a used gun, especially if you are considering an S&W. Too many changes for my liking. Pick up a clean and good shape S&W mod 66 or 19 or 15, and you have a fine gun. Shoot 38 specials and you will enjoy your shooting more. I also like the 4.2" Ruger SP101, and the Ruger GP 100. Lots of good toys out there to play with.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, so a gun to piss off the prime minister and range work. Check.

For range work I'd recommend a .357 which can also fire .38 Specials, the GP100 or one of the K or L frame Smiths would be the obvious choices. Not sure which revolver would be best to piss off a prime minister. A Glock with 33 round magazine comes to mind but that's not a revolver. Maybe a gold plated barbecue gun with Trump's face engraved on it?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
pissing off a PM isn't a reason that I can quantify, if I did, I'd say AR15 with lots of high cap mags and all kinds of semi handguns... well that won't work...

Moving next to a range I can't quantify either.

I don't know if they can hunt or not. If he reloads. If he will shoot competition. Or just tin cans and paper. If the latter a 22 would be my choice...

But those two comments are not reasons as to real use and able to lead us on...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I would locate a 6" Ruger Security Six if I wanted an all around revolver. They haven't been made in a few years,...but they don't break.

I like S&W revolvers, also,..and many S&W enthusiasts talk down the triggers on the Rugers. But they're really very good triggers.

I have an old 4" Ruger Police Service Six (same as a Security Six except it has fixed sights) I don't know if it's had a trigger job or if the trigger has simply smoothed out over the years,..but it's very smooth.

It's the only Ruger revolver I own and I have no plans to sell it. Handloading it with heavy cast bullets makes it a powerful firearm in a medium sized revolver. It shoots very close to point of aim with 180 grain WFN cast bullets over a maximum charge of WW296.

G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Lean Wolf; RickyD is correct we can not legally hunt with handguns in Canada.

Rost495 and Jim in Idaho; usage would be restricted to range time, perhaps some old school practical pistol stuff if the new gun club has such a thing. Perhaps see if I can get "restricted range status" for some of the 160 acres I own ENE of Edmonton and use the pistol there as well.

As Canadians our use of pistols is extremely restricted, for example we are restricted to 10 round capacity in all pistols, the 33 round magazine is a "prohibited device".

The Trump image would certainly piss of the PM smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
I recommend either a Ruger GP100 l or a Smith & Wesson 686 either with 6" barrels and chambered in 357 magnum, you will also be able to use 38 specials in these revolvers.

I'll add the Vaquero and the Blackhawk to this list as well as the Taurus.....and agree with the .357 pick as the .44 magnum is a lot too much.....very few can handle it.

One can also make some very good grouse/ snake loads with speer's shot capsules in the .357 and shoot .38 specials too.

The .45 colt?.....well.....I think one would be better served with the .44 Magnum and load it down to something above the .44 special levels but we're handloading now and that's not for everyone.

Last edited by vapodog; 10/25/19.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

No handgun hunting in Canada. I would look for a Ruger Security Six.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
GRF Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Rost495; I had stated earlier that I reload and have dies for both the .357 and .44.

I have never owned an AR but have shot at least a dozen of them and find no joy in them whatsoever, in fact no semi-auto rifle has been able to hold my attention for long. I tired a few "gas guns"; what we call up here a Swiss Arms Classic Green, SVT-40 and a Jungman and sold them all. No high cap mags allowed here either, rifles 5 rounds max, pistols 10 rounds max, some guys play games with the rules and get 10 round AR pistol mags and use them in the AR rifles.

I have had .22 pistols in the past and found them boring after a short while, enjoyed the 9mm and .38/.357 far more.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm solidly in the L frame camp, especially the 7-shots, because they actually have thicker cylinder walls than the six-shots due to offset notches. The Ls were designed to be full-time magnums, unlike the K-frame. Like the Ks, the cylinder is long enough that it both handles longer cartridges and doesn't leave a long section of barrel hanging out at the rear.

Mine is a 620, with the composite barrel like the big boy X-frame. Good DA pull, and a sincere wish trips the SA trigger. Scored it very cheaply, used like new, when my son worked at Gander.

Rugers are also fine, and easy to take apart, but I still like the Smiths the best.

What fresh Hell is this?
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
You might consider the Smith and Wesson Model 69. Stainless, 5" barrel, and can shoot 44 spl or 44 mag. It is built on the L frame, the same as the 686. The ability to step up to 44 mag may be useful if you think carrying it in bear country is part of your plans.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
A lot depends on your personal preference. Also, Canadian law, which I have no idea about. Do you want it for possible bear defense or coyotes, bad guys, etc.? Do you prefer double action or single action only? Is size/weight much of a factor? I have and have had a few revolvers in .22, .38 Spl, .357 Mag, and .44 Mag for different uses made by Ruger, Colt, S&W, Charter Arms, and a few others. I, as a personal choice, prefer a double action. It gives you the option of thumb cocking or just a trigger pull. No option with a single action. Blue steel is fine, but stainless is much more easier to maintain. I have both. With proper shot placement, you can take down a bear with a .357, but I would not recommend it unless there was no other option. Some people hunt bears with a "stick and string", but I would prefer better armament, just sayin'. A .44 Magnum can be loaded with a wide variety of loadings from light to heavy, depending on what your needs/desires are. I see that you are a reloader as well, so you can easily make your own ammo as light or heavy as you desire, which is a great advantage to have. Another possible caliber choice would maybe be .45 Colt or maybe .41 Mag. However, commercial pre-fabricated ammo may be difficult to find and expensive. Ruger makes a fine product, but to me are generally bulky as are S&W N frame M-29s. I just bought a S&W stainless L frame M-69 with a 4.25 inch barrel in .44 Mag. So far, after a couple of range sessions with both .44 Mag and .44 Spl loads, I am very pleased with it. Big enough to handle .44 recoil, but compact enough for ease of carry. Comes with rubber grips that are very comfortable to my hand. To make this pistol less bulky, S&W designed it as a 5 shot. It is just a little bit bigger than my K frame M-19 .357. In fact, most holsters I have seen so far fit just fine for both K and L frame Smiths. Colt also makes a good product, but are overpriced, in my experience and I have a phobia against snakes. They make my skin crawl and the idea of having something named after a snake in my hand just gives me the creeps. JMHO,YMMV.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take a look at a Ruger Super Redhawk in 454 Casull, If you don't want to shoot Casull all the time you can run .45 Colt through it as well.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

448 members (160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 38 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,762
Posts18,476,571
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.