Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by byron
Not a cult. More of a brotherhood of men wanting to better themselves and help their community.

Someone must think you are a pretty good person to want to sponsor you. I say do it.

"Secret hand shakes, codes, no wimmens, WTF?" A lot of stuff steeped in tradition and history. No magic underwear though smile

+1

My late older brother joined the masons with some other business men that he was friends with, they did a lot of charity work. They did dress up as clowns for local parades as party of the charity campaign collecting money for the children's hospital.

Ted
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They actually do not solicit people for membership, but you will need to approach someone that is a mason in the neighborhood, a family member or a lodge itself. You will be interviewed, and it goes from there. My dad belonged and directed me to the local lodge (Now closed)

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
ok, now that the subject has been raised yet again, and there's members here, interested readers, and others..

so, is the Masonic system (the group, enterprise, orgn), growing or remaining stable in mbrshp,

or is the Masonic system in slow decline? a lot of churches are, but the masons aren't one.

what's going on in the masonic brotherhood could be similar to other organizations?

i don't know, that's why i'm asking. my wife's Grandfather has been passed a spell.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Masons, like other fraternal organizations, are experiencing a decline in membership, at least in MT and throughout the U.S. I suspect this is greatly a result of the use of social media as a substitute for interaction with others; a generation or so back they provided for like-minded people to get together and socialize, now days much of that appears to be low priority for most younger people.

Dale

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You earn a fire engine parade go-cart at the master mason ceremony.

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DHN
Masons, like other fraternal organizations, are experiencing a decline in membership, at least in MT and throughout the U.S. I suspect this is greatly a result of the use of social media as a substitute for interaction with others; a generation or so back they provided for like-minded people to get together and socialize, now days much of that appears to be low priority for most younger people.

i'm not surprised really.

we are seeing, and have been seeing unprecedented change across the american culture.

- might point blame toward social media, post modern technology, or the growth of cities.

materialism, and the monetization of the economy have to be listed as possibilities also.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
some of the masons threads have been several-pagers

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They actually do not solicit people for membership, but you will need to approach someone that is a mason in the neighborhood, a family member or a lodge itself. You will be interviewed, and it goes from there. My dad belonged and directed me to the local lodge (Now closed)

I didn't approach, I didn't ask;

I had two old guys that were real estate brokers invite me to a meeting. Reminded me of a church business meeting. Got there and realized about 20 of the 50 old guys there, I already knew. lol
Kind of an ahhh-hahh moment.

Same gents were in Civitan too(most of them), they tried to recruit me for that too.

Guess If I was 30 yrs older then iI wouldve taken the time and showed more interest. I had a complicated life at the time. Passed on further invites.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by slumlord

I didn't approach, I didn't ask;

I had two old guys that were real estate brokers invite me to a meeting. Reminded me of a church business meeting. Got there and realized about 20 of the 50 old guys there, I already knew. lol
Kind of an ahhh-hahh moment.

Same gents were in Civitan too(most of them), they tried to recruit me for that too.

Guess If I was 30 yrs older then iI wouldve taken the time and showed more interest. I had a complicated life at the time. Passed on further invites.

vel, at least you did receive a worthy invite.

i never got invited to jine up with crap.

oh wait, prez johnson sent me one.

and i accepted, no prison for me.

i was courted by some kind?

about the eyes or somthing?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Whatever happened to "you gotta have a relative/ancestor who was a member"? Supposedly, at least at one time, the Masons claimed to have a connection to the builders of Solomon's Temple.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Whatever happened to "you gotta have a relative/ancestor who was a member"? Supposedly, at least at one time, the Masons claimed to have a connection to the builders of Solomon's Temple.
Jerry

That theme is central to their rituals.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

ya ain't talkin' about bloodlines are ya?

if so, i don't understand the subject.

maybe someone will enlighten?

i mean, knowledge is good?

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gus, I believe you got it, except for the growth of cities, as traditionally Masons were very much involved with promoting growth of their communities. Our local lodge was established before WWI, and it wasn't long before many, perhaps the majority, of men in the area were members. Many were far enough from town that attending required a drive of several hours, especially in winter, and an overnight stay in town; yet they attended regularly. Now, in a county of just over 4000, we normally have only 10 - 12 at each meeting. The lodge membership is greater, but many joined with the primary goal of becoming Shriners. With such a small active membership, it becomes difficult to do much in the way of community activities and promoting civic virtues, and without those, men who might otherwise be interested don't see sufficient cause to join. It becomes a downward spiral.

Dale

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by DHN
Gus, I believe you got it, except for the growth of cities, as traditionally Masons were very much involved with promoting growth of their communities. Our local lodge was established before WWI, and it wasn't long before many, perhaps the majority, of men in the area were members. Many were far enough from town that attending required a drive of several hours, especially in winter, and an overnight stay in town; yet they attended regularly. Now, in a county of just over 4000, we normally have only 10 - 12 at each meeting. The lodge membership is greater, but many joined with the primary goal of becoming Shriners. With such a small active membership, it becomes difficult to do much in the way of community activities and promoting civic virtues, and without those, men who might otherwise be interested don't see sufficient cause to join. It becomes a downward spiral.

i appreciate your sharing. i never discussed the Masons with my wife's grandfather. it was mostly chickens, hogs, cattle, and land prices..

the growth of the cities has happened, and continues to do so. we still have our local F&AM lodge, but i'm not and haven't been a member.

in atlanta there's the shriner's hospital and by all accounts it continues to offer yeoman's service to the whole area of georgia. we're thankful.

there's lot's of questions i could ask, but with any other large orgn, it's difficult to know what an appropriate question might be for the group.

honestly, growing up, i thought one needed to be "special" to be able to join the Masons. i knew nothing about them, really.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by DHN

I taught a fire class at the IOOF lodge in Saco years ago.

International Order of Oddfellows.

Cool name.

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 10/27/19.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I asked to join as was given the opportunity to so so.

My father in law is a Mason......figured what the hell.

They sent out a traveling Mason to interview me and my family. Nice guy....had worked for us over the years off and on.

Of course neither he or my father in law would tell me anything about the Masons.....except for how great they were.

At the end of the interview the traveling Mason was very excited. He said he was very excited to finally get a Catholic to join.

He said that Catholics never join the Masons, they were against the organization.

I am not now nor was I then a very good Catholic......but I did ask him why the Catholics were against the Masons.........he wouldn't tell me.

I ended up declining. Became an Eagles member instead. No secrecy involved with those guys.

The Masons are no doubt a great outfit, at least judging by the men who are Masons that I know. Many of them I greatly respect.

Kinda like Obamacare....gotta join the Masons to find out what they are all about.

Just wasn't for me.

In the past Protestants joined mason's while Catholic's joined the Knights of Columbus.

Ted
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
to assist in the enlightenment of the mbrshp here on the 'Fire, what are some of the most common/popular brotherhoods/fraternal orders?

we know the Masons.
Knights of Columbus have been mentioned.
Oddfellows.

i'm sure there are others?

the Elks club??
the Moose??

VFW is different, right?

if someone opens a can of worms, what next?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am an Eagles member Gus.

I am MAGA.
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am an Eagles member Gus.

i am not familiar.

please tell us more, if you are comfortable doing so.

is it open for mbrshp?

does it cost a fee?

i'm at a loss. i'm trying to learn.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's a reason things are kept secret. What could it be? Does anybody know for sure?

By their nature, secrets are rarely good. Usually they are meant to conceal something bad.

Why the secrecy?

LOL
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (222Sako, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,122
Posts18,522,927
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.