Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by badger
Notice the quotation marks. To me, a custom rifle is one that is not built on a mass produced action like a Remington, Winchester, Sako etc etc action. Rather one that uses something like a BAT or Kelby action. That said, I have a few rifles that are Remington action based, with aftermarket triggers and barrels and stocks. The actions have been blueprinted and the rifles were built by Mickey Coleman. A few of these rifles are duplicates and hardly ever see the light of day, and they all shoot very, very well. I also have an itch to scratch with another rifle that I want, and was considering putting a couple of mine on the market. Chamberings run the gamut from 243AI through 250AI and 7-08AI. Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be. The question is, how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?

Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.

What are the specs on the 7-08AI? You can PM me if you'd rather.

HR IC

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?...

Generally I would expect the selling price to be less than if the rifle had not been modified, unless the components and builder had been chosen impeccably. This largely because of the much larger market for stock rifles.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by 458Win
Beauty and features in a rifle are similar to those of wives. Everyone has their own tastes and desires.

Yeah, but wives won't sit quietly in the cabinet until you're ready to enjoy them.

That is why smart guys get working models 😁

Delicate elegance , in both rifles and women, is always a costly extravagance

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Notice the quotation marks. To me, a custom rifle is one that is not built on a mass produced action like a Remington, Winchester, Sako etc etc action. Rather one that uses something like a BAT or Kelby action. That said, I have a few rifles that are Remington action based, with aftermarket triggers and barrels and stocks. The actions have been blueprinted and the rifles were built by Mickey Coleman. A few of these rifles are duplicates and hardly ever see the light of day, and they all shoot very, very well. I also have an itch to scratch with another rifle that I want, and was considering putting a couple of mine on the market. Chamberings run the gamut from 243AI through 250AI and 7-08AI. Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be. The question is, how much more, and as a rule of thumb, how much more would they be worth as a percentage of a stock rifle's value?

Yes, I know the question is a little vague absent the details of each rifle, but discussion is invited.

What are the specs on the 7-08AI? You can PM me if you'd rather.

Sent you a pm.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Obviously to me they are worth more than a stock rifle would be.

I have to disagree .. from my perspective. To you as seller, you might want that to be true. To me as buyer, I'm not interested in your project. I am generally less interested in a used custom than a used factory rifle. I have to assume that, no matter how honest the sellers face, they would only sell something they have a bunch of money in if it is worn out or incurably screwed up. I have to assume I am buying an action for a build, no more, no less, so the name on the barrel blank, the gunsmith who did the work ... all means exactly nothing.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
You’re likely going to get hosed selling

I doubt it. badger seems pretty sharp and I don't see him getting hosed by somebody.

I do however agree with most in this thread. Your custom (project) is generally of no or little interest to other buyers. However, if you are patient, you may do well. Your list of calibers limits your audience/market. Without arguing the pluses of improving a cartrdge Ackley-wise, the fact is, a very small portion of shooters want that. The same goes for your preferred stock, action, trigger, etc. I think with selling customs second-hand, it is important to get the firearm into the hands of a prospective buyer so he can really appreciate it. This is just not always an option. Good luck badger.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 10/29/19.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Custom building a rifle is like building a hotrod. You put into it what you want, but that doesn't mean the next fellow wants the same thing. If you watch the car auctions on tv, you hear them say all the time that the car sold for less that it took to build/restore it. Of course, there are always exceptions. Same way with guns. And just like cars, the market for guns goes up and down.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
badger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All good observations gentlemen. Truth is, I can afford to buy the rifle I want, it's not a huge investment (About $7k all in with optics), but the safe is pretty full, and I thought it would be a good time to move some of the rifles that don't get much use. There is some sentimental value there too, as Mickey was a very dear friend, and his work never disappointed. Sooo, I'll put a few out there and see what response they generate. They don't have to be sold, and I'm in a good position financially to keep them.

Last edited by badger; 10/29/19.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would say a lot depends on the builder and the chambering.

I've lost the least on GAPrecision rifles.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I own a few customs I bought used and they are all worth more than what I paid. From a personal build, one will never get back what they have in it. Not unlike classic/muscle cars. I am talking pre-64 Wins, Mauser's and similar.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
You’re likely going to get hosed selling

I doubt it. badger seems pretty sharp and I don't see him getting hosed by somebody.

I do however agree with most in this thread. Your custom (project) is generally of no or little interest to other buyers. However, if you are patient, you may do well. Your list of calibers limits your audience/market. Without arguing the pluses of improving a cartrdge Ackley-wise, the fact is, a very small portion of shooters want that. The same goes for your preferred stock, action, trigger, etc. I think with selling customs second-hand, it is important to get the firearm into the hands of a prospective buyer so he can really appreciate it. This is just not always an option. Good luck badger.

Clearly getting “Hosed” wasn’t meant to suggest OP would allow himself to be taken advantage of....If you would have quoted my entire post, instead of trying to be a smart-ass with selective quoting like a Liberal, I wouldn’t need to kick you in your fat head. 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The market is soft, and extremely soft for rifles with production actions. You’re likely going to get hosed selling, but I figure you already know this already...

Things that will help mitigate the price reduction is chambering, barrel manufacture/twist and rifle builder. Obviously, condition and rounds down the pipe will be a plus/minus.

If you enjoyed your builds and got to use them a bunch, the small loss maybe won’t be as bad...That’s what I tell myself at least.

GLWYS

😎

There is full customs that are not selling for 45% of their build price, right now...If that helps

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Custom rifle: noun; "something you spend money on to reduce its value". ...
This ^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by 458Win
Beauty and features in a rifle are similar to those of wives. Everyone has their own tastes and desires.
And this ^^^^^^^

IMO, if you can get 50% of what you invested in a custom you are doing well. You build a custom rifle to suit yourself. What scratches your itch, probably will not scratch the next guy's itch. So, invest accordingly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't sell,but if I did...it'd be no thang to turn profits on a herd.

If you fhuqk around with Stupid Schit and fawn Fluff,you'll lose your ass. Do it right and source components with a fhuqking clue and they appreciate. Doubly so,if you savvy the relationship of RPM,COAL and throat geometry. Hint.

Play Pretty Barbie Doll Safe Queens aren't worth a fhuqk,both figuratively and literally.

Hint.........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Is that why yours are always in the water, gilding them?

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
"Custom" doesn't even have a common definition. But if you build rifles from top-notch components and minimize labor spending, you don't have to take a beating on them. Lots of money wasted on BS procedures and cosmetic surgery.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HazyV,

Once the brush is wet,everything is IN the water. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Drooling Fence Hopping Window Lickers simply cain't savvy the magnitude,of such simplistic facts. Hint.

Forecast is rather encouraging however! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Do not discount the Poignant Profundity of Provenance in such equations either. Conjoin same,with a total lack of Fluff and appreciations are easily factored and come to fruition reliably. Pun(s) be intended. Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!.............................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've known only 3 men who had "custom " rifles built. All on model 700 actions, well known barrels, McMillan stocks, and timney triggers on each one I think. One a 7mmremmag, one a 338 win mag, and one a 7x57. Guy with the 7x57 still has his. the other 2 got hosed when they finally sold. In my experience custom rifles are great for the person who commissioned them, as long as they keep them. At sale, their worth drops considerably. It's wise to consider this before the purchase of a custom rifle. Of course, ymmv.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
One trick stick,

Alaska wet, stick smart, got it.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- Michael Scott
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worth to whom?

Doesn't matter to me what my customs are worth to others. To me they are worth what I paid.

I'm also going to disagree with the OP's definition of custom. Lots of excellent custom rifles have been built on mass-produced actions, including military rifles. AFAiC, the most important part of the rifle to me is the barrel.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,635 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,909
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.