Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
GreggH Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Just curious as to the favorite versions of the Bible you study/read? Personally, started with Amplified then King James but have recently been using Thompson Chain Reference Study Bible in New King James.

GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm a KJ Dake kinda guy.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
King James all the way. (Without being contentious, of course. wink )

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by RickyD
I'm a KJ Dake kinda guy.

That Dakes the cake, for sure! grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Must ye needs ask?

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
english standard version.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image] "NIV and ESV"

Last edited by Shipster; 05/09/07.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
King James only...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by motor man
King James only...

Must be an old guy, like me. grin

Brother Keith

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tired-out quote # 4. Won't it be great when we get to heaven and everybody is speaking Elizibethan English?

Tired-out quote # 3. Don't you have to be able to speak in tongues to understand the King James?

Tired-out quote # 2. Do you think God understands us better when we use "thee" and "thou" when we pray?

But the all-time tired-out quote # 1. I never read the Bible because I don't understand it.

2:15�"Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."
Defenders Quote: "Jesus said: "Thy word is truth" (John 17:17). "Thy word is true from the beginning," said the psalmist (Psalm 119:160). The Lord Jesus said I am "the truth" (John 14:6). One who would teach the Bible effectively must teach it as absolute truth, centered in Jesus Christ."

Absolute truth..... Now there is a concept worth studying.

Last edited by Sanlen; 05/10/07. Reason: add deenders quote

[Linked Image]
"What will you say when God asks you 'why?'"

KJ believer
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
King James/Jimmy Swaggart Expositors Study Bible. As with all Expositor Study Bibles, one mans interpretation whether spirit led or not must be accepted on face value and must be compared with other study bibles and reference materials. We owe it to our own salvation to (as Ronald Reagen once said) trust but verify. And no, the thees and thous aren't mandatory, just what I grew up on.

Prayers,

Jim Berry

Your right to live in a free society should be based solely on your willingness to defend it! Retired Military Vietnam Vet.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since the question was asked "What version of the Bible?" The follow up question would be why? Is it because that's what you grew up with, or you like the readability of it, or what? Since it appears that Sanlen has already come up with at least 4 excuses used for not reading the KJV and by his Signature line being "KJ believer". I can figure out what version he reads. I'm not trying to pull a shootist and [Linked Image] but I am curious. I read the NIV study bible and the ESV because that's what I grew up with and that's what I'm comfortable reading. My Granddad, and my dad of course grew up reading the KJV and they were comfortable reading that. So why do you read the translation that you read?

Last edited by Shipster; 05/10/07.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, the Schofield study version rates right at the top. Next is J.N. Darby when I really want to get serious in my studies. Bad word useage. I'm always serious when I study the bible.

For those that don't know, the Schofield version is just King James with the addition of Dr. Schofields' notes and cross references. Very good!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
For me, the Schofield study version rates right at the top. . . . . For those that don't know, the Schofield version is just King James with the addition of Dr. Schofields' notes and cross references. Very good!

Except if it is the NEW Scofield Study Bible. Some of the "helps" (I call them hindrances wink ) that were in the centre column have been placed into the text = not a very good thing.

Brother Keith

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My personal favorite has been NIV Ryrie Study Bible. I have enjoyed it Immensely.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
For me, the Schofield study version rates right at the top. . . . . For those that don't know, the Schofield version is just King James with the addition of Dr. Schofields' notes and cross references. Very good!

Except if it is the NEW Scofield Study Bible. Some of the "helps" (I call them hindrances wink ) that were in the centre column have been placed into the text = not a very good thing.

Yah! We gotta always be very carefull of what we read or hear. Always " test the spirits."

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Shipster
Since the question was asked "What version of the Bible?" The follow up question would be why? Is it because that's what you grew up with, or you like the readability of it, or what? Since it appears that Sanlen has already come up with at least 4 excuses used for not reading the KJV and by his Signature line being "KJ believer". I can figure out what version he reads. I'm not trying to pull a shootist and [Linked Image] but I am curious. I read the NIV study bible and the ESV because that's what I grew up with and that's what I'm comfortable reading. My Granddad, and my dad of course grew up reading the KJV and they were comfortable reading that. So why do you read the translation that you read?
I read the King James because that is what I grew up with and what I am most familar with when it comes to looking up verses in the concordance. I like the Dake reference version as it provides some good cross references, highlights language/translation issues that lend to better understanding, and gives good historical perspectives sometimes. It just allows me a fuller understanding of the Word. Brother Finas (Dake) and myself part ways on a few topics but overall, it's my go-to.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I depends on if you want nice language or an accurate translation from the original Greek and Hebrew. If you read the New Testament in Greek, you will be apalled with the KJ version. The RSV is one of the better translations, although it omits the Apocrypha. The KJ was intended to be a preachers bible, and even at the time it was written, the language used was archaic.

YMMV

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
uh-oh.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by fish280
uh-oh.

laugh laugh laugh wink

I could, but I won't. I'm trying to be more tolerant, but the longer my fingers touch the keys, the closer I am coming to . . . . . . . better quit while . . . . . . . arrrgghhhhh! laugh smile

edited to add:

I wore out my own teeth biting on that kinda stuff, and I refuse to ruin an absolutely perfect set of dentures doing the same thing. Let Sanlen have at it -- he's younger and shorter in the tooth. grin

Last edited by the_shootist; 05/10/07.

Brother Keith

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (10Glocks, 35, BamBam, 10gaugemag, AnthonyB, bbassi, 8 invisible), 1,285 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.