-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

No such investment is worth anything until the day that it is sold.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mine have never and will never be investments.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've never really looked at mine as investments, although I suppose they are worth a little money. The rare firearms will always be worth some money, and if you're a collector of say, 1873 Winchesters, then your rifles will always have value to them. On the flip side, if you bought some AR's years back when they were fetching a premium, and you want to sell them now, you're going to lose money.

As an example, my late brother had a nice gun collection, and when he knew he was dying from cancer, he told his wife that it was his wish to use the guns to help send his grandkids to college. My ex-sister-in-law contacted me recently about helping her sell some of them, and I agreed to do so. She had gotten a neighbor, an "internet expert" to look up some prices on some of them, and of course the fool went on Gunbroker and looked up some of the prices on guns that someone is hoping to sell for more than it's worth. When I told her that her $1200-1500 rifle is only worth $500 today, she must have thought I was lowballing her, because I haven't heard back from her.

The thing that a lot of people don't get is that while some guns hold their value, and even increase, others do not, and with this being a buyers market today, many sellers are disappointed when they try to unload theirs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Depends on which market. I made a killing on crap AKs, used ARs and a couple of FALs after Obammy was elected. A Norinco AK w/ 3 chink mags would gain $2000.00 from the scared and desperate.

mike r

I suck at Capitalism, I’d not sell a gun to a fellow gun enthusiast for more than I thought it was worth.

Birdwatcher

Still broke and full of misplaced loyalties wink

A gun enthusiast would already have the guns of his choice so would not have to buy in a seller's market. You do suck at capitalism.

mike r

People who weren’t gun enthusiasts paid $2,000 for Norincos? Naah, you price-gouged ‘em and then bragged on it here. No worries, you prob’ly didn’t need ‘em as repeat customers.

Birdwatcher
On track to become the most principled guy living under the bridge.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Depends on which market. I made a killing on crap AKs, used ARs and a couple of FALs after Obammy was elected. A Norinco AK w/ 3 chink mags would gain $2000.00 from the scared and desperate.

mike r

I suck at Capitalism, I’d not sell a gun to a fellow gun enthusiast for more than I thought it was worth.

Birdwatcher

A gun enthusiast would already have the guns of his choice so would not have to buy in a seller's market. You do suck at capitalism.

mike r

People who weren’t gun enthusiasts paid $2,000 for Norincos? Naah, you price-gouged ‘em and then bragged on it here. No worries, you prob’ly didn’t need ‘em as repeat customers.

Birdwatcher

you can only price....gouged em…...if they let you......little old ladies excepted...….bob

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Closest I myself ever got to collecting was when Enfield were a dime a dozen. I believe I had six at one time, and a Webley, all chosen with respect to places of origin and dates of manufacture that invoked bygone theaters of war.

Over time I discovered tho that if I wasn’t gonna be shooting a gun I didn’t have much use for it so sold/gave/traded ‘em away.

My worst offense has certainly been a British 200 yo 1/2 gallon brass trade kettle I haul around and set out with my reenacting gear. It’s considerably more beat-up now that it was for the first 194 years crazy

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Did some reading a while back after reading about Harley Davidsons future business plans - things are changing at a fast pace with the younger generation . Happened across an article/blog saying that things like the rock climbing walls in shopping malls were mostly gone - other stuff due to lack of interest etc. .
I know quite a few lads from 35 years old down to 20 years olds and basically none of them have any interest in nice rifles - firearms in general - one has an AK-47 the other M1A that his Dad gave him .
I'm in two leases and the number of youths has dropped off a lot in the last ten years - Dads say their kids just aren't interested in anything outdoors . The ones that do come live on their phone the whole time - 9-10 years old on a phone constantly - no interest in hunting or gun talk .

That leads me to believe that many will inherit firearms or dad/grandad will try to sell them off and all of us ''mature'' guys will be full up on guns . That will lead to a huge surplus of unwanted firearms .
You reckon ?

Yep. Same with '60s era muscle cars. In about 15 years, they will get cheap. Pre '64 Winchesters with nice wood will be in the used gun racks. Young dudes who have served in the military want black rifles first, then maybe one bolt gun and a side arm or two.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

mike r

Birdwatcher

mike r

Birdwatcher

Laffin' here.
Mr. "Principle".
You know , that guy that is still telling students, co-workers and fellow homeless people on Salvation Army free hot dog nite, how he pedaled and toiled all over the west last summer.......

Did you have a stationary bike in the motor home you toured in?

On guns you set a price and you sell it...unless it's not selling...then you lower it, trade it or keep it.
Auctions, if you can put up with the hassles, seem fair to me.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BobMt

mike r

Birdwatcher

mike r

Birdwatcher

you can only price....gouged em…...if they let you......little old ladies excepted...….bob

Sorta like adultery I guess.

To paraphrase Rob Roy; integrity is a gift a man gives to himself cool People just have different standards of what that is, is all.

Birdwatcher
who’s gonna bore the crap out of everyone down at the mission.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
Mr. "Principle".
You know , that guy that is still telling students, co-workers and fellow homeless people on Salvation Army free hot dog nite, how he pedaled and toiled all over the west last summer.......

Naah you must recall I only rode across West Texas to the NM State Line, hung a right outside of Hatch, and ended up helping a friend drive home to Montana when they asked.

So, ended up with a paltry 1,250 miles. Disappointing really, but now I get to try again.

Did you have a stationary bike in the motor home you toured in?

The BEST part about motor homes and stuff? You get to take all of them with you when you die wink

See? I’m boring the crap out of people already 🙂

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my 22 year old reminded me yesterday that I promised to take him shooting

gonna have to set that up next week

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do I think my firearms will be better than the Leman brothers stock I own. I sure hope so. If you buy quality at a reasonable price I don’t think you will get hurt. Now if your buying Glocks and Savage you will be lucky to get your money back. Nobody can see into the future. But quality usually holds its value and may even increase if your are lucky. It’s not like coin collecting you can do more than look at a firearm. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My kids aren't interested in my firearms, so I'm planning to sell the majority of them while I can still enjoy spending the revenue for other stuff.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Related to other post on this.

I sure as fugg aint educating some inheritance baby riding on a dead relatives coat tail about the value of gun they have no interest in at all, other than selling it and making a quick buck off it.

Espically if ya read them up front.

I will use the gun.
And if I can pick it up for a very reduced price I wont feel the least bit bad about it.

I will treat a person that knows firearms with respect and let the negotiation on price begin.

I will treat a chump like a chump.
Especially Inheritance baby types with no interest in firearms other than making money off it.
I bet the dead relative would rather see their firearm used by someone who will utilize it and take care of it.
I bet the dead relative would be pissed the inheritance baby was ready to sell the moment they got the firearm in their greedy dickbeaters also.

JMO.......

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
"The ones that do come live on their phone the whole time - 9-10 years old on a phone constantly - no interest in hunting or gun talk ."

That sums it up. These Millennials all have joined the cult, their religion is the Iphone. In general they have no interest in hunting or camping.
The future of guns is bleak, and this includes the Second Amendment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep, and we were very blessed being born when we were.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've never really looked at mine as investments, although I suppose they are worth a little money. The rare firearms will always be worth some money, and if you're a collector of say, 1873 Winchesters, then your rifles will always have value to them. On the flip side, if you bought some AR's years back when they were fetching a premium, and you want to sell them now, you're going to lose money.

As an example, my late brother had a nice gun collection, and when he knew he was dying from cancer, he told his wife that it was his wish to use the guns to help send his grandkids to college. My ex-sister-in-law contacted me recently about helping her sell some of them, and I agreed to do so. She had gotten a neighbor, an "internet expert" to look up some prices on some of them, and of course the fool went on Gunbroker and looked up some of the prices on guns that someone is hoping to sell for more than it's worth. When I told her that her $1200-1500 rifle is only worth $500 today, she must have thought I was lowballing her, because I haven't heard back from her.

The thing that a lot of people don't get is that while some guns hold their value, and even increase, others do not, and with this being a buyers market today, many sellers are disappointed when they try to unload theirs.

I remember our pm conversation about this.
Tell her to suck an egg and go find her end of the rainbow buyer.

I hope you charged her full price for her share of the bush hogging bill also.

I would take an approach to her dealing with anything money wise.
With her same greedy top dollar mindset.

Her true colors are showing , family or not......

Last edited by renegade50; 10/29/19.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd invest for a profit, and buy toys for fun.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, and we were very blessed being born when we were.

Was just saying the same about hunting here in Idaho. While animal numbers are still good, there are so many people after the tags that drawing a decent tag has nearly become a joke.........and hunting in general seasons is a joke.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anybody checked out the prices on some 1980’s era BMX bikes?

Kids bikes from 30-40 years ago are selling for some decent coin these days.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,036
Posts18,481,953
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.