Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm about to get real on this one.

If a husband and wife love each other, and really care about each other's happiness and future they will discuss their finances throughout the relationship. Every day. All expenditures and investments.

If the only "inheritance" which they worked a lifetime on TOGETHER was a collection of TOOLS which the husband enjoyed but the wife ALLOWED him to acquire at whatever expenditure WITHOUT providing other forms of retirement savings then she is as guilty as him.

Too many people have NOTHING when their spouse dies. I can not feel bad because someone is left with a car collection, an art collection, real estate holdings or a large hoard of anything with monetary value. Work to build a collection, and it takes work to liquidate one.

Sometimes the stuff just has to go to other collectors for whatever it brings.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WTM45
I'm about to get real on this one.

If a husband and wife love each other, and really care about each other's happiness and future they will discuss their finances throughout the relationship. Every day. All expenditures and investments.

If the only "inheritance" which they worked a lifetime on TOGETHER was a collection of TOOLS which the husband enjoyed but the wife ALLOWED him to acquire at whatever expenditure WITHOUT providing other forms of retirement savings then she is as guilty as him.

Too many people have NOTHING when their spouse dies. I can not feel bad because someone is left with a car collection, an art collection, real estate holdings or a large hoard of anything with monetary value. Work to build a collection, and it takes work to liquidate one.

Sometimes the stuff just has to go to other collectors for whatever it brings.

well, ok.

is that the flow of the Tao?

is that what we are speaking of?

markets rise & markets fall. is that it?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We all pitched in and helped out as best we could. Our family spent quite a chunk on acquiring some of his guns.

Its good when you can help others and yourself. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
I'll take my chances on other types of investments lol.

Same here. but I think firearms would be much more of a prospect than old automoblies. (as some seem to want to hang their hat on)

Disagree, well FINE laugh

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Gus

well, ok.

Speculation is found in all investments. Many collectors/shooters/hobbyists feel they have the knowledge and ability to do what many experienced FFL's have tried and were unsuccessful at with 100% of their life's focus. It is hard work. It requires product and market research with documentation of inventory along with a business continuation plan or a complete liquidation plan in order to be successful.

Leaving things up to chance or the "flow of the market" can be quite risky. Especially when folks stop by looking for the "friends and family" discount upon hearing the spouse has put her "liquidation plan" into motion before the sod is rolled over the gravesite.

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus

well, ok.

Speculation is found in all investments. Many collectors/shooters/hobbyists feel they have the knowledge and ability to do what many experienced FFL's have tried and were unsuccessful at with 100% of their life's focus. It is hard work. It requires product and market research with documentation of inventory along with a business continuation plan or a complete liquidation plan in order to be successful.

Leaving things up to chance or the "flow of the market" can be quite risky. Especially when folks stop by looking for the "friends and family" discount upon hearing the spouse has put her "liquidation plan" into motion before the sod is rolled over the gravesite.

i ain't much of a market researcher, but it would be interesting to know the profile of ownership of guns in general: males, females, age ranges, urban, rural. i don't know. just things to think about. but i enjoy the idea that the stock market surely does have it's dips and advances.. so why shouldn't horse prices, gun prices, 4wd vehicle prices, etc. etc.

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
[quote=simonkenton7]"The ones that do come live on their phone the whole time - 9-10 years old on a phone constantly - no interest in hunting or gun talk ."

That sums it up. These Millennials all have joined the cult, their religion is the Iphone. In general they have no interest in hunting or camping.

>The future of guns is bleak, and this includes the Second Amendment<

Burleyboy ,

Your comments on the 50 kids interest in firearms made me think back to SimonKenton7 post - last sentence .
It's only a short matter of time .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
It can be a nice way to keep up with, or maybe even beat, inflation without having the tax man rob ya blind.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MadMooner
It can be a nice way to keep up with, or maybe even beat, inflation without having the tax man rob ya blind.

Or losing it all to a care home....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Or losing it all to a care home....

Please..

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Complete flop? No. But nothing stays the same some will loose in value some won't the market won't stay the same. The guys that grew up watching the Rifleman and John Wayne movies will be gone and the guys that grew up gaming and playing with air soft will be middle aged and older down the road.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Items are on offer and the market is determined by what people will actually pay for that item.

Whats legal doesn't always have class. You're the $2,000 Norinco guy at the gunshow who nobody likes, I get that.

As for jesus in the gunstore, I sold him a Jennings at full retail and suggested he turn it into a Norinco.

Ya but how much did ya get him over a barrel for that Jennings? wink

Food for thought on your value system and hypocrisy

What hypocrisy?

....why did you not take the funds w/ which you purchased your musket and kettle and donate them to the needy?

A more apt statement would be why don't I sell them to fellow gun enthusiasts (my natural allies) for 600% of what I paid for them just because I can.

As for how much of our time and things should we give away, that's a personal thing. I've given quite a lot of both time and material stuff, others have given more, some less.

A side note on that 'Bess; I paid $1,100, it was a tremendous deal on a lightly used musket the guy assembled himself, and he has skills. A Rifle Shoppe one might be nicer, but until then its the nicest one I've seen cool

You say that you paid a price for your musket that you considered a good deal? You filthy capitalist, taking advantage of that naive seller! I hope that you don't teach economics...or logic.

Just to rattle your tin cup a little more. I bought those 10 Norinco Aks for $250.00 each. I then rented them to students who paid $200.00/day for use of the gun, 600 rounds of Russian ammo and the expertise of myself and an AI. Classes were limited to 10 students per 2 day session. I paid the AI $600.00 and I paid all the overhead. All concerned thought this a good value and customers were accepted only after thorough vetting by their employers who were OGAs or their contractors.

The Norincos were pretty much and indestructible and their buyers were elated to acquire them, used and reconditioned by Jim Fuller, for $2000.00/ea w/ a bonus of 3 chink steel mags and 90 rounds of Russian ammo.
Such is the way of American capitalism and market economics.

To paraphrase Marx; To each according to his abilites....

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
AMZN stock at $10/share in 2001

It closed today at $1,779.99 /share.

18th root of $177.999 = 1.33

That is 33.36% compounded.

---------------------------------------------------------------
.... $6k worth of MSFT in the 1980s.
By 2000, it was worth $2M.
--------------------------------------------------------
Buy a Subaru for $6k in the 1970s.
Or buy $6k in Subaru stock instead.
By the time the car would have worn out, the stock was worth $1M.

---------------------------------------------------------

Guns, Gold, and guitars appreciate at 3% compounded, not 33%.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
didn't WalMart stock sell for 10 cents when it first became available?
smile
don't even look at the price today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dang, and you said it was ME who was fragile.... 🙄

Originally Posted by lvmiker
You say that you paid a price for your musket that you considered a good deal? You filthy capitalist, taking advantage of that naive seller! I hope that you don't teach economics...or logic.

Wasn’t it you who brung the musket into this conversation? Beautiful gun, made by a guy with skills for his own use as a hunting/woods weapon. Assembled from a Pedersoli kit (meaning I can buy a drop-in replacement lock).

It was a good will transaction, he apparently needed to sell it and it went to a good home, I woulda paid more for it if he asked. When my time comes I’ll gift it off or sell it for a song; relative or guy getting started in the hobby.

So, not really a transaction between strangers ergo not really applicable here but it was you who brought it up.

Just to rattle your tin cup a little more.

MY tin cup? You’ve been floundering all over the map reaching for put-downs, still are.

Anyhoo.... sounds from here like you might have used your name and reputation to sell a bunch of heavily used Norincos at an 800% markup. Again not something I woulda done (prob’ly why I’m broke).

The Norincos were pretty much and indestructible and their buyers were elated to acquire them,

They were “elated” to buy $2,000 Norincos? 🙂 Prob’ly didn’t get out much. We’re they Americans?

I’m not sure how this all ties in to your gun shop employer begging you employees to sell them as you stated earlier, but I suppose it could.

....used and reconditioned by Jim Fuller...

I’m curious..... what does one do to recondition a Norinco AK?

.....for $2000.00/ea w/ a bonus of 3 chink steel mags and 90 rounds of Russian ammo....

If I was paying that much, at the very least I’d expect to receive a blow job.... (Las Vegas capitalism and economics 🙂)

To paraphrase Marx; To each according to his abilites....

To paraphrase Qui-Gon Jinn; There’s always a bigger fish...

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Birdie, are blow jobs part of ghetto transactions in Texas? It does explain your level of comprehension of economics and capitalism. Look up Jim Fuller Rifle Dynamics and see what can be done w/ an AK. The fact that you don't get out much and observe the world is no ones fault but your own and could explain why you are broke.

Americans have the opportunity to achieve a modest success or become billionaires w/o compromising either their integrity or dignity. Hard work, constant striving to improve and risk taking are a proven formula. Give it a try.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 10/31/19.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Birdie, are blow jobs part of ghetto transactions in Texas?

I would think that might be a freebie included anywhere in any State when one asks $2,000 for a Norinco (along with three extra mags and a box of Wolf ammo of course).

It does explain your level of comprehension of economics and capitalism.

My level of comprehension of economics and capitalism is pretty good, hence my assumption of the possibility of the inclusion of sexual favors in the deal you stated. Most everyone I know might feel taken if they were paying $2,000 for a used Norinco otherwise.

Look up Jim Fuller Rifle Dynamics and see what can be done w/ an AK.

Ya, but what did he do to those $2,000 Norincos? Or was this another case of using a name to promote a product?

The fact that you don't get out much and observe the world is no ones fault but your own and could explain why you are broke

In recent years I’ve observed quite a lot of the world from a bicycle 🙂. Other than that it’s mostly been the usual urban problems stuff

Americans have the opportunity to achieve a modest success or become billionaires w/o compromising either their integrity or dignity. Hard work, constant striving to improve and risk taking are a proven formula.

Been telling that exact thing to my students for more’n 30 years cool.......

Give it a try.

.....while avoiding actually working for a living all that time....

We have a saying in education; “Do as I say, not as I do.”

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kid0917
didn't WalMart stock sell for 10 cents when it first became available?
smile
don't even look at the price today.

Something like that split adjusted. Had an aunt that worked at one of the first Walmart’s when Sam Walton was still very active. He told all store employees to buy at least one share every payday when it went public. She did and ended up retiring in her early 50s probably never having made for than $12/hour

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Next year this time, Birdie and LVMike will be bicycling to a gun show together.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If the Senate convicts, Pence will be next, Pelosi will be POTUS and the value of gun collections will hit ZERO the same day, along with the value of all our lives.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 51 invisible), 2,067 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,763
Posts18,495,552
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.