Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They can keep this area. Sales tax and traffic and rain.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
MT I15
UT I80
WA14
PA love those PA dairy barns

CO
AZ

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
MT
AZ
SD
ID
OR
CA

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Made this drive from Minn to Ca end of August. Just reinforced and intensified my love of this country we call America.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm pretty much a fan of ................ 'murica.

Some have mentioned it, driving from Denver area to Mpls/St Paul was one of the most boring trips I've been on, but I did get to see and imagine what the Great Plains might have been like.

I love oceans, so both coasts, or part of, that I've seen area always wonderful. Except maybe the Jersey Shore part shocked...I prefer less crowded areas. SoCal beaches make up for it in two legged bikini clad scenery.

The mountainous West is another favorite, having said that the Adirondacks and Catskills of New York will show a person that big parts of that State are not at all like the City.

Texas is.............well........................Texas. Great place but way too much private land for this Westerner. When I see open land I want to go play in it like the Explorers did, without the encumbrances of paying for entry.

lvmiker, I take exception to your dislike of US95 between LV and Reno...............then again, I love the desert (see signature line). And the view of the mountains from 95/6 looking west toward the NV/CA border is pretty spectacular. But 93 north is a nice road too.

Anyone who ever has a chance should take 299 west from Redding CA to the Coast along the Trinity River Canyon. And enjoy the Redwoods when you get to the ocean too.

So much to see, so little time, and gas is too expensive too.

And don't forget to take a back road or two and get out of the car to enjoy the real America.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your perspective is like mine.
A truck driver that has covered 48 states, extensively.

Posts here condemning certain states are because someone
lacks knowledge of that state.

Kansas isn't all flat, little of it is flat. It rolls.

Texas coastal plain is flat.

There are some nice hilly parts of Iowa.

For me, Florida is probably the worst. Cities, swamp, pine trees.
But, any coastline is bound to have some beauty. Somewhere.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I think Pennsylvania, across I-80, is awfully nice.

Iowa, on the same highway, is corn, corn, corn, soybeans, corn, Des Moines, corn, cows, corn, corn, corn, ad infinitum.

Missouri, on I-70, is no great shakes, on I-44 it isn't too bad.

I thought I-70 across West Virginia was pretty nice, running along the mountaintops and all that.

I-70 across Kansas is not recommended, dullsville.

Not a fan of I-71 across Ohio, either.

Iowa...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had to rent a car to get to Florida. Hit a couple places. Living there wouldn't be for me but glad I did it. That lowland swamp stuff there is peculiar to this PNW guy.

I've not been at it near as long as you, however, every state I have been too, I agree, each has decent places, at least decent from the driver's seat perceptive...
Oh, never imagined Missouri would be on my way to so many places...

As an aside, I always got a kick out of the various ways states say to watch out for ice on bridges.

Texas: Bridge May Be Icy When Cold. LOL No chit, surely not when hot!
There's several versions escaping my memory but generally the further south one goes the sillier they are.

Safe travels all and thank God for our beautiful country worth fighting for!

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep, NW CA has some dandy country. Trinity River for sure.

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I think Pennsylvania, across I-80, is awfully nice.

Iowa, on the same highway, is corn, corn, corn, soybeans, corn, Des Moines, corn, cows, corn, corn, corn, ad infinitum.

Missouri, on I-70, is no great shakes, on I-44 it isn't too bad.

I thought I-70 across West Virginia was pretty nice, running along the mountaintops and all that.

I-70 across Kansas is not recommended, dullsville.

Not a fan of I-71 across Ohio, either.

Iowa...

Everything looks better from a helicopter. We'll have to check with the judges for a ruling on whether this video is proof of Iowa not being dull.

I'm goofing, there are some beautiful areas in Iowa. Stephens State forest, or down around Rathbun, many river valleys have lovely settings with lots of wildlife. The NE part of the state has some really beautiful areas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Nevada is an outlier for scenic because access to certain places can be a challenge. Hwy 95 from LV to Reno is mostly boring but Hwy 93 from LV to Jackpot is wonderful. You have to be willing to work for it but Nevada is the most mountainous state in the lower 48 w/ 314 named ranges and 172 peaks w/ >2000' of prominence. There are 39 peaks >10k'.

I enjoy the fact that few people travel the back roads and trails and most areas require that you be self reliant and a good navigator. Wildlife is not abundant but is always there if you learn where to look. Nevada has the countrys' highest population of wild sheep and is a predator hunters paradise. Towns and services are few and far between
and as Fieldgrade has mentioned carry 2 spare tires and lots of water.

mike r

I was going to post, but you Nailed it. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's all in the eye of the beholder. Working out of the San Francisco office I was assigned to an audit in Huron, SD which is pretty far south. It was spring. Deep into field work, little animals popping up everywhere and still waterfowl. Decided to go to Watertown to buy a radio and the other auditor from outside Detroit decided to ride Now Watertown is in the northeast part of the state and was pretty muck still frozen. So you got to see everything spring, from still frozen to well into spring. I said something about how beautiful it was to see the whole panoply, or something like that. He replied, "Yeah, like the dark side of the moon!"

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Between my military travels, trucking, and Wifey and I touring, I’v seen a good bit of the country.
I think everyplace I’ve been has beauty of its own, in it’s own way.
Northern Cali, Oregon & Washington are great, love the Rockies, even the central plains have a personality of their own. Love west Texas, Oklahoma across 40 to Southern Cal, east Texas and southeastern US. Only place I think I’d get tired of is the flattened out midwestern states, but it’s still got a personality to me. Same for New England states. I guess being a country boy makes me appreciate the beauty of different places.
But growing up here in western Pennsylvania, I love these mountains and ridges and rolling hills the best. I could go anywhere that ain’t city, and live just fine. Just don’t stick me where I can’t see sky and fields.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hwy15 from LA to Vegas...waste of time wastelands ...then i did vegas to the S rim grand canyon...yet another..... what a waste land... from the dam dam till i looked in to the caynon .....waste land lol....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The one state that seems like an ordeal to drive through, to me, is Georgia. Even the pretty parts of North Georgia are a slog. People from Georgia are great but their roads...

To be fair, though, the East-West drive through KY is pretty bad too.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Alabama the beautiful. Sugar white beaches in a subtropical climate, ranging to snow capped mountains with 4 seasons. Coastal plains, rolling hills, piney woods, deltas, estuaries, cypress swamps, mountains, waterfalls, caves, hardwood forests, etc.

Not a good place to move to though. Hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, blizzards, oil spills, yankees and Texans.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve pretty much found that small town and rural people are easygoing and easy to talk to. Even a hick like me, never been more than 100 miles from home until I joined the Army, and I’d get along fine with somebody from the Deep South, Maine, Michigan or wherever. You’ll find a few idiots, but for the most part, what you see is what you get. Nobody tries to impress anybody else, nobody puts on airs of superiority.
But if you get into a city, Philadelphia, New York, Seattle, Las Angeles Houston or Atlanta. It just seems like the majority of people go outta their war to impress everyone else with their money and education.
This right here is why we have the division and animosity that’s got this country coming apart at the seams. And the more you make or the more you know, the more superior you are to everybody else, and the more you gotta show it by telling them how they oughtta live and raise the families.
It’s a really comforting thought that more and more small town and rural kids are moving into big cities every year. We’re losing the things and the people who made this country what it is and what it’s supposed to be.
If you’re in touch with the earth, you’re in touch with humanity. If you’re not, you’re not.
7mm

Last edited by 7mmbuster; 11/01/19.

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've never been anywhere that didn't have some kind of beautiful scenery. Different, even bizarre, some of it; but always enchanting. Never saw a big city that wouldn't pass as a garbage dump, though.

Been a Westerner now for half my life and wouldn't live anywhere else. Spent the first quarter of it in Illinois and the second in the Southeast. Illinois is my second favorite place on Earth - after everywhere else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The scenic beauty of I80 from from Laramie to Evanston is not to be overlooked, when I hear someone thinking of moving to Wyoming I always point them in that direction. whistle

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,519
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.