-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A handgun with a reflex sight makes old eyes new again, at least when it comes to shooting. Put the red dot where you want the shot to go. Makes getting hits almost too easy. And it doesn't matter if the gun is canted, grip wrong, poor follow through, etc. if the red dot on target and you can squeeze off a shot you'll get hits.

I have a Glock 19 MOS with a Vortex Venom. It really is just that easy, at least that's how it's worked for me.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry a 442 Smith often. Two speed strips in the other pocket. I am comfortable with that.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My EDC is a Glock 19 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 11 IWB.

I have a Glock 43 in an El Paso Saddelry pocket holster in my jammie pocket as I type.

Both wear night sights. They seem to work good for my 67 year old eyes.

The 19 goes on when my pants go on, and rides there 'tll they come back off at bed time.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a 360PD in 38 only, not 357. They're cheaper than the 357 version, but handle hot loads in a 38 just as well. No one shoots 357 in a 12 oz gun more than once anyway.

I like them more than the 442's ect, as they have replaceable front sights I put a big dot tritium in.

I figure if I ever have to shoot it defending myself it will more likely be at night. Even if not, that big dot sight is very visible anytime.

I also have CTC grips on it that trigger a lazer when gripped firmly.

The gun is really light and very easy to carry.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they make them anymore. A 357 is available, but I would only use 38's in it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RickyD, I didn't think that S&W had the 360 PD or the internal hammer 340 PD in anything but .357 Magnum. Not to say that they couldn't be fed a steady diet of .38 Specials or +P Specials which according to all the reviews most people will use in them anyhow. One review I remember called a 12 ounce J Frame with .357's "a flamethrower with like a bomb going off in your hand." Actually I thought that I was pretty happy with a stainless Colt Government .380 as an every day carry piece and then I went to a gun show in Lakeland, FL. and fingered a 12 ounce 360 PD Scandium framed S&W. I've always liked the option of having an exposed hammer on my handguns because like most of us, I'm a hands in the pockets kind of guy anyhow and I can cover that hammer coming out of my pocket with my thumb, or shoot single action better than I can double action only. That 360 PD was nearly perfect, but not quite because I don't like the S&W lock. Then I got looking at previously made Scandium J Frames in .38 Special only. Bingo. Turns out that S&W made the 337 PD .38 Special +P only version for two years pre-lock and two years post-lock back in the late 1990's to early 2000's. My pre-lock version found on Gun Broker weighs 9 ounces empty and 12 ounces loaded and replaced that 20 plus ounce Colt .380 for EDC. Shot snake loads for snake country or +P Hornady Personal Defense other times or a combination of the two. The guys here jumped me for suggesting that 5 rounds should be enough in a defensive situation and we can agree to disagree on that scenario. That 337 PD is perfect for my EDC. Your mileage may vary.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m totally surprised. All these snubby 38 specials. I was beginning to think everyone needs a belt fed Glock for EDC.
Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Something in the size range of a Keltec PF-9. 9mm preferably cause 9mm ammo is so cheap, and way more powerful than 38spl-needs.

Shield is too heavy. 380's are too wimpy. Kahr is gay. Revolvers scream "RETARD!".

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
What works, works --- everyone should carry what they feel comfortable with....it doesn't mean a person just needs one gun but the one gun they depend on is the one they trust the most, easiest to use and maintain and they are good at using it. Its the one to use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OP, your post sounds very negative. I hope you are just poking fun at yourself for being fortunate enough to live to a good age. Does the government still authorize you to drive a car? If so, you may not need fancy sights, but you could get some benefit from high profile ones.

I am done with J frames. The light ones are especially unpleasant to shoot regularly, and the sights are terrible and, at least for me, required a great amount of Kentucky windage at 25 yards. The Glock 42 is about the size and weight of a 642, weighs a pound loaded with 7 rounds, and is fun to shoot and accurate. With the right ammo, you can punch through bone and still penetrate. It shoots like a much bigger gun at 25 yards. It is cheating to use a target bigger than a 3”X5” index card at 10 yards and under. Once you get the rhythm down, you can do a pie plate-sized magazine dump at close range much, much, much faster than with a J frame, especially an airweight.

I did spring for the fancy Agent sights, but you can get high profile steel ones much cheaper. You also can hang a light and/or laser on it if you want. I carry bigger guns most of the time, but I do not consider myself unduly disadvantaged when carrying only the 42. If you want a dot, the new Springfield Hellcat may work for you in a heavier, 9mm package.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My EDC is a 9mm Beretta Nano with a 6 round magazine in the gun and 2-8 round magazine reloads. My son's EDC is a 9mm Sig 938 with 3-6 round magazines. My daughters EDC is a 380 Beretta Pico with 2-6 rounds magazines.

IC B3

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whelennut
We get older and eyesight goes to heck.

It could be that for EDC you need to lose the bullseye target and use a neutral color silhouette at 7 yards and forget the "aim small, miss small" mantra. Put the front sight between the shoulders and fire.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Windfall
RickyD, I didn't think that S&W had the 360 PD or the internal hammer 340 PD in anything but .357 Magnum. Not to say that they couldn't be fed a steady diet of .38 Specials or +P Specials which according to all the reviews most people will use in them anyhow. One review I remember called a 12 ounce J Frame with .357's "a flamethrower with like a bomb going off in your hand." Actually I thought that I was pretty happy with a stainless Colt Government .380 as an every day carry piece and then I went to a gun show in Lakeland, FL. and fingered a 12 ounce 360 PD Scandium framed S&W. I've always liked the option of having an exposed hammer on my handguns because like most of us, I'm a hands in the pockets kind of guy anyhow and I can cover that hammer coming out of my pocket with my thumb, or shoot single action better than I can double action only. That 360 PD was nearly perfect, but not quite because I don't like the S&W lock. Then I got looking at previously made Scandium J Frames in .38 Special only. Bingo. Turns out that S&W made the 337 PD .38 Special +P only version for two years pre-lock and two years post-lock back in the late 1990's to early 2000's. My pre-lock version found on Gun Broker weighs 9 ounces empty and 12 ounces loaded and replaced that 20 plus ounce Colt .380 for EDC. Shot snake loads for snake country or +P Hornady Personal Defense other times or a combination of the two. The guys here jumped me for suggesting that 5 rounds should be enough in a defensive situation and we can agree to disagree on that scenario. That 337 PD is perfect for my EDC. Your mileage may vary.

Well, it doesn't vary much since we have about the same gun. Mine does have the lock and I'm not very concerned about that. Mine is a scandium frame, too, an exposed hammer. And it's 38 only but it's not 9 oz. I wonder how they could get another 3 oz off the gun. I did check online and see Smith sold some 360J's to Japan a while back that are 38 only. Maybe mine was that. I'd had two 360PD 357's prior to this one and I thought it was designated 360 also but was a 38 only which I know it is. I'll check and see if it has a model number on it tonight.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by viking

Originally Posted by lastround
Having a dense moment. What is EDC?

Erectile dysfunctional condition 😂

I don't believe those guys oughta be around a gun.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
My answer is simple. S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grip. Unless I have a reason to take something else this is my EDC,

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by aboltfan
My answer is simple. S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grip. Unless I have a reason to take something else this is my EDC,

Part of my carry rotation.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by Windfall

Well, it doesn't vary much since we have about the same gun. Mine does have the lock and I'm not very concerned about that. Mine is a scandium frame, too, an exposed hammer. And it's 38 only but it's not 9 oz. I wonder how they could get another 3 oz off the gun. I did check online and see Smith sold some 360J's to Japan a while back that are 38 only. Maybe mine was that. I'd had two 360PD 357's prior to this one and I thought it was designated 360 also but was a 38 only which I know it is. I'll check and see if it has a model number on it tonight.

I was partly right on the model designation. My revolver is a M360J. It's a 38 +P only Scandium J frame 5 shot with the shrouded barrel and exposed hammer that was made as the Japanese police service revolver. It beat out all the big names, by what criteria I have no idea. It is not a cataloged item but some years production overruns get to US markets. I just happened to find one a few years ago new online.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Many people would benefit from a class taught by a genuine teacher of defensive shooting to understand the priorities and potential of the shooter prior to trying to solve the problem. One or two days of focused, deliberate instruction and practice, preferably w/ video critiques is a reality check that all can benefit from experiencing.

Then buy a Glock and practice, practice practice.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JOG

It could be that for EDC you need to lose the bullseye target and use a neutral color silhouette at 7 yards and forget the "aim small, miss small" mantra. Put the front sight between the shoulders and fire.

I agree. I used an N frame to take the test for my carry permit.
My 642 worked pretty well with +p Golden Sabres
On an unwanted feral cat at my inlaws barn.
My brother in law did not even realize that I was carrying anything (which is the point).

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JOG

I agree. I used an N frame to take the test for my carry permit.
My 642 worked pretty well with +p Golden Sabres
On an unwanted feral cat at my inlaws barn.
My brother in law did not even realize that I was carrying anything (which is the point).

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Old guys.... at 71 I'm now happy with a Sig P365. When I get old, maybe something else.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (10gaugemag, 16gage, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,284 guests, and 1,385 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,196
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.