Home
Posted By: whelennut Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
We get older and eyesight goes to heck.
Hand to hand combat, good luck with that.
I don't need fancy sights, I can't focus on them anymore anyhow..
What should an old guy do? I like a J frame like a 642. Hopefully I can do some damage after 5 rounds.
Posted By: lippygoathead Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
Even though I carry something different, I believe that the S&W 642 is about as good as it gets. No need to worry about "springs" or "pocket lint" messing things up and if the first round don't fire, keep on pulling the trigger....

You just need to practice ...
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
Older friend of mine has a laser on his EDC, seems to work for him.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by whelennut
Hand to hand combat, good luck with that.
I don't need fancy sights, I can't focus on them anymore anyhow..
What should an old guy do? I like a J frame like a 642. Hopefully I can do some damage after 5 rounds.

Nothing wrong with a J-Frame .38. The internal hammer models are great for tossing in a pocket loose, and there's nothing to catch on your clothes as you draw one. I've carried all sorts of J-Frame, snubbie, .38 Specials over the decades since first getting my CCW License back in 1980. They will handle 95% of situations where a concealed, defensive, handgun is needed.

Nowadays, I feel more comfortable having more rounds on board, so my current EDC is a Glock 26.
Posted By: buttstock Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
Mine edc is a S&W 649-2 snub nose.

Stainless version of the "Bodyguard". Heated-treated for +p 38 special loads. Shrouded hammer. SA/DA. I painted the front sight with hot pink nail polish for my 59 year old eyes. Works for me.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
S&W 360j. Hasbeen
Posted By: lastround Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
Having a dense moment. What is EDC?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
Originally Posted by lastround

"Every Day Carry"

I like the Sig P365 with 15 rd magazine.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Edc for old guys - 10/31/19
Sig P365 for me. With the 12 round mag and one in the pipe gives me 13 on board with the 15 round mag for a spare.
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: viking Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19

Erectile dysfunctional condition 😂
Posted By: MOGC Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
Tonight is Halloween. The wife was handing out candy at the front door, I sat in my recliner with my 642 close at hand. If any goblins decided to breach the entrance the first couple would have been leaking. I have other options that hold more rounds on board and are more powerful but the J frame goes in a pocket so easy that it's hard to do better.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
I wouldn’t give up on sights altogether, I’d just change the kind of sights you use. I’d try a laser or mount a dot on the slide.
Posted By: viking Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
Blue, where have you been?
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
We were on the big vacation all of September and have been working since then. We had our big Multigun match last weekend and that’s a week long ordeal to set up and tear down.

And just lurking.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
We were on the big vacation all of September and have been working since then. We had our big Multigun match last weekend and that’s a week long ordeal to set up and tear down.

And just lurking.

Good to see ya posting again!
Posted By: lastround Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
I liked JWP’s answer better than yours. (grin)
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
My idea of EDC is probably a bit different than many folks who live in a high threat environment. To me everyday carry means something I can grab when I head to the hills, or out to the tractor. I am looking to kill snakes along the lake side, or gophers in the field. Possibly a coyote or a fox.

I came on here fourteen years ago asking for advice on a first handgun at age fifty. After some sage advice from Bob, P Weed, and several other experienced pistoleros, I purchased a Ruger SBH bisley hunter in 41 mag and a Nikon 2x20 to go on top.

That kept me busy for several years, then I got to actually meet and shoot with Bob. Soon after I purchased a 6" 657, and not long after that a Taurus 4" Titanium Tracker in 41, and eventually a 657 MG.

The Tracker became my most commonly carried weapon, simply because it was the only one which did not drag my britches down over my nonexistent ass in the first ten steps.

Then some more SA revolvers joined the stable, a couple Ruger single sevens and a Bisley single six. And a couple DA revolvers, a Ruger SP101 in 327, and then a Ruger LCRx in 327.

Nine revolvers on the list, but I still have never owned an autoloader.

Anyway, my experience is abbreviated compared to many, and my tastes somewhat eclectic. But damn, that LCR is easy to carry in my jeans or jacket. It hits pretty hard with a 120 gr flat nose cast fairly hard and loaded over a maximum charge of H110. And it is not tough to shoot four or five cylinders of top loads as fast as one can reload the chambers.

If groups on paper plates at 20 feet are any indication, home made shot loads are going to be darned effective on snakes.

The LCRx has become the one I drop in a pocket when I head out of doors, or into the console of the car.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
Well, years ago my Mentor, Boyd Deets, proved the adage to me that having a gun on you in the first place was most important with an EDC. He had a beautifully engraved S&W J frame with stag grips which he ALWAYS wore behind his right hip. I have watched him hit an empty propane cylinder at 50 yards with that little pistol with such regularity it became boring.

Several years ago, I was fortunate to find an S&W model 38 Airweight with the shrouded hammer that still allows single action use. Amazing little gun.....especially being aluminum alloy framed and I installed Mountain Sheep grips purchased on the Fire. It's a battle scarred old veteran, much like it's owner, but it's always reliable.

My buddy Mac, has installed a laser sight on his J-frame BUG, may be where I'm headed as well.

I will say, the LCRx with the hammer exposed, has caught my eye more than once, so maybe in the future....
Posted By: RJM Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
...since 95+% of all civilian self-defense shootings are within 7 yards, having a gun that hits where it points is much more important than the sights on the gun. Find a gun that fits your hand, is simple to operate, quick to get into action and in a caliber that you can handle and call it good.

Bob
Posted By: walt501 Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
A handgun with a reflex sight makes old eyes new again, at least when it comes to shooting. Put the red dot where you want the shot to go. Makes getting hits almost too easy. And it doesn't matter if the gun is canted, grip wrong, poor follow through, etc. if the red dot on target and you can squeeze off a shot you'll get hits.

I have a Glock 19 MOS with a Vortex Venom. It really is just that easy, at least that's how it's worked for me.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
I carry a 442 Smith often. Two speed strips in the other pocket. I am comfortable with that.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
My EDC is a Glock 19 in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 11 IWB.

I have a Glock 43 in an El Paso Saddelry pocket holster in my jammie pocket as I type.

Both wear night sights. They seem to work good for my 67 year old eyes.

The 19 goes on when my pants go on, and rides there 'tll they come back off at bed time.

Virgil B.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
I have a 360PD in 38 only, not 357. They're cheaper than the 357 version, but handle hot loads in a 38 just as well. No one shoots 357 in a 12 oz gun more than once anyway.

I like them more than the 442's ect, as they have replaceable front sights I put a big dot tritium in.

I figure if I ever have to shoot it defending myself it will more likely be at night. Even if not, that big dot sight is very visible anytime.

I also have CTC grips on it that trigger a lazer when gripped firmly.

The gun is really light and very easy to carry.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they make them anymore. A 357 is available, but I would only use 38's in it.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
RickyD, I didn't think that S&W had the 360 PD or the internal hammer 340 PD in anything but .357 Magnum. Not to say that they couldn't be fed a steady diet of .38 Specials or +P Specials which according to all the reviews most people will use in them anyhow. One review I remember called a 12 ounce J Frame with .357's "a flamethrower with like a bomb going off in your hand." Actually I thought that I was pretty happy with a stainless Colt Government .380 as an every day carry piece and then I went to a gun show in Lakeland, FL. and fingered a 12 ounce 360 PD Scandium framed S&W. I've always liked the option of having an exposed hammer on my handguns because like most of us, I'm a hands in the pockets kind of guy anyhow and I can cover that hammer coming out of my pocket with my thumb, or shoot single action better than I can double action only. That 360 PD was nearly perfect, but not quite because I don't like the S&W lock. Then I got looking at previously made Scandium J Frames in .38 Special only. Bingo. Turns out that S&W made the 337 PD .38 Special +P only version for two years pre-lock and two years post-lock back in the late 1990's to early 2000's. My pre-lock version found on Gun Broker weighs 9 ounces empty and 12 ounces loaded and replaced that 20 plus ounce Colt .380 for EDC. Shot snake loads for snake country or +P Hornady Personal Defense other times or a combination of the two. The guys here jumped me for suggesting that 5 rounds should be enough in a defensive situation and we can agree to disagree on that scenario. That 337 PD is perfect for my EDC. Your mileage may vary.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
I’m totally surprised. All these snubby 38 specials. I was beginning to think everyone needs a belt fed Glock for EDC.
Hasbeen
Posted By: dla Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
Something in the size range of a Keltec PF-9. 9mm preferably cause 9mm ammo is so cheap, and way more powerful than 38spl-needs.

Shield is too heavy. 380's are too wimpy. Kahr is gay. Revolvers scream "RETARD!".
Posted By: lippygoathead Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
What works, works --- everyone should carry what they feel comfortable with....it doesn't mean a person just needs one gun but the one gun they depend on is the one they trust the most, easiest to use and maintain and they are good at using it. Its the one to use.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
OP, your post sounds very negative. I hope you are just poking fun at yourself for being fortunate enough to live to a good age. Does the government still authorize you to drive a car? If so, you may not need fancy sights, but you could get some benefit from high profile ones.

I am done with J frames. The light ones are especially unpleasant to shoot regularly, and the sights are terrible and, at least for me, required a great amount of Kentucky windage at 25 yards. The Glock 42 is about the size and weight of a 642, weighs a pound loaded with 7 rounds, and is fun to shoot and accurate. With the right ammo, you can punch through bone and still penetrate. It shoots like a much bigger gun at 25 yards. It is cheating to use a target bigger than a 3”X5” index card at 10 yards and under. Once you get the rhythm down, you can do a pie plate-sized magazine dump at close range much, much, much faster than with a J frame, especially an airweight.

I did spring for the fancy Agent sights, but you can get high profile steel ones much cheaper. You also can hang a light and/or laser on it if you want. I carry bigger guns most of the time, but I do not consider myself unduly disadvantaged when carrying only the 42. If you want a dot, the new Springfield Hellcat may work for you in a heavier, 9mm package.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]
Posted By: ar15a292f Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
My EDC is a 9mm Beretta Nano with a 6 round magazine in the gun and 2-8 round magazine reloads. My son's EDC is a 9mm Sig 938 with 3-6 round magazines. My daughters EDC is a 380 Beretta Pico with 2-6 rounds magazines.
Posted By: JOG Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19

It could be that for EDC you need to lose the bullseye target and use a neutral color silhouette at 7 yards and forget the "aim small, miss small" mantra. Put the front sight between the shoulders and fire.
Originally Posted by Windfall
RickyD, I didn't think that S&W had the 360 PD or the internal hammer 340 PD in anything but .357 Magnum. Not to say that they couldn't be fed a steady diet of .38 Specials or +P Specials which according to all the reviews most people will use in them anyhow. One review I remember called a 12 ounce J Frame with .357's "a flamethrower with like a bomb going off in your hand." Actually I thought that I was pretty happy with a stainless Colt Government .380 as an every day carry piece and then I went to a gun show in Lakeland, FL. and fingered a 12 ounce 360 PD Scandium framed S&W. I've always liked the option of having an exposed hammer on my handguns because like most of us, I'm a hands in the pockets kind of guy anyhow and I can cover that hammer coming out of my pocket with my thumb, or shoot single action better than I can double action only. That 360 PD was nearly perfect, but not quite because I don't like the S&W lock. Then I got looking at previously made Scandium J Frames in .38 Special only. Bingo. Turns out that S&W made the 337 PD .38 Special +P only version for two years pre-lock and two years post-lock back in the late 1990's to early 2000's. My pre-lock version found on Gun Broker weighs 9 ounces empty and 12 ounces loaded and replaced that 20 plus ounce Colt .380 for EDC. Shot snake loads for snake country or +P Hornady Personal Defense other times or a combination of the two. The guys here jumped me for suggesting that 5 rounds should be enough in a defensive situation and we can agree to disagree on that scenario. That 337 PD is perfect for my EDC. Your mileage may vary.

Well, it doesn't vary much since we have about the same gun. Mine does have the lock and I'm not very concerned about that. Mine is a scandium frame, too, an exposed hammer. And it's 38 only but it's not 9 oz. I wonder how they could get another 3 oz off the gun. I did check online and see Smith sold some 360J's to Japan a while back that are 38 only. Maybe mine was that. I'd had two 360PD 357's prior to this one and I thought it was designated 360 also but was a 38 only which I know it is. I'll check and see if it has a model number on it tonight.
Originally Posted by viking

Erectile dysfunctional condition 😂

I don't believe those guys oughta be around a gun.
Posted By: aboltfan Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
My answer is simple. S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grip. Unless I have a reason to take something else this is my EDC,
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Edc for old guys - 11/01/19
Originally Posted by aboltfan
My answer is simple. S&W 642 with Crimson Trace laser grip. Unless I have a reason to take something else this is my EDC,

Part of my carry rotation.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Originally Posted by RickyD

Well, it doesn't vary much since we have about the same gun. Mine does have the lock and I'm not very concerned about that. Mine is a scandium frame, too, an exposed hammer. And it's 38 only but it's not 9 oz. I wonder how they could get another 3 oz off the gun. I did check online and see Smith sold some 360J's to Japan a while back that are 38 only. Maybe mine was that. I'd had two 360PD 357's prior to this one and I thought it was designated 360 also but was a 38 only which I know it is. I'll check and see if it has a model number on it tonight.

I was partly right on the model designation. My revolver is a M360J. It's a 38 +P only Scandium J frame 5 shot with the shrouded barrel and exposed hammer that was made as the Japanese police service revolver. It beat out all the big names, by what criteria I have no idea. It is not a cataloged item but some years production overruns get to US markets. I just happened to find one a few years ago new online.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Many people would benefit from a class taught by a genuine teacher of defensive shooting to understand the priorities and potential of the shooter prior to trying to solve the problem. One or two days of focused, deliberate instruction and practice, preferably w/ video critiques is a reality check that all can benefit from experiencing.

Then buy a Glock and practice, practice practice.

mike r
Posted By: whelennut Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Originally Posted by JOG

It could be that for EDC you need to lose the bullseye target and use a neutral color silhouette at 7 yards and forget the "aim small, miss small" mantra. Put the front sight between the shoulders and fire.

I agree. I used an N frame to take the test for my carry permit.
My 642 worked pretty well with +p Golden Sabres
On an unwanted feral cat at my inlaws barn.
My brother in law did not even realize that I was carrying anything (which is the point).
Originally Posted by JOG

I agree. I used an N frame to take the test for my carry permit.
My 642 worked pretty well with +p Golden Sabres
On an unwanted feral cat at my inlaws barn.
My brother in law did not even realize that I was carrying anything (which is the point).
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Old guys.... at 71 I'm now happy with a Sig P365. When I get old, maybe something else.
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Many people would benefit from a class taught by a genuine teacher of defensive shooting to understand the priorities and potential of the shooter prior to trying to solve the problem. One or two days of focused, deliberate instruction and practice, preferably w/ video critiques is a reality check that all can benefit from experiencing.

mike r

My teacher spent a lot of time in the classroom letting us know about situational awareness and avoiding a situation where you could be arrested
until somebody could come and get us out of jail.
The reason I might be negative is when I found out what legal costs will likely be defending myself in court after defending myself with a gun.
Originally Posted by RJM
...since 95+% of all civilian self-defense shootings are within 7 yards, having a gun that hits where it points is much more important than the sights on the gun. Find a gun that fits your hand, is simple to operate, quick to get into action and in a caliber that you can handle and call it good.

Bob

I agree
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
OP, your post sounds very negative. I hope you are just poking fun at yourself for being fortunate enough to live to a good age. Does the government still authorize you to drive a car? If so, you may not need fancy sights, but you could get some benefit from high profile ones.

I am done with J frames. The light ones are especially unpleasant to shoot regularly, and the sights are terrible and, at least for me, required a great amount of Kentucky windage at 25 yards. The Glock 42 is about the size and weight of a 642, weighs a pound loaded with 7 rounds, and is fun to shoot and accurate. With the right ammo, you can punch through bone and still penetrate. It shoots like a much bigger gun at 25 yards. It is cheating to use a target bigger than a 3”X5” index card at 10 yards and under. Once you get the rhythm down, you can do a pie plate-sized magazine dump at close range much, much, much faster than with a J frame, especially an airweight.

I did spring for the fancy Agent sights, but you can get high profile steel ones much cheaper. You also can hang a light and/or laser on it if you want. I carry bigger guns most of the time, but I do not consider myself unduly disadvantaged when carrying only the 42. If you want a dot, the new Springfield Hellcat may work for you in a heavier, 9mm package.

[Linked Image from ]

[Linked Image from ]

For me I think the answer is to carry an N frame
As a car gun and a J frame as a pocket rocket.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19

mike r

My teacher spent a lot of time in the classroom letting us know about situational awareness and avoiding a situation where you could be arrested
The reason I might be negative is when I found out what legal costs will likely be defending myself in court after defending myself with a gun.

You need to find a teacher that will show you how to save your life, then find a lawyer after the big problem is solved. Note my previous mention of priorities.

mikre r
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
I had a 642 for years but sold it to buy an M&P340 so that I could stick 357's in it for hiking in the UP. Then Buffalo Bore came out with their .38 +P Outdoorsman load so I stuck with that. I still like it better than the 642 because of the tritium front sight. I've had a G19/23 since 1994 so I bought a 43 when they came out, thinking it would replace the 340. It hasn't totally since it's so much easier to just throw the J in my pocket when I'm in a hurry.
Posted By: bcraig Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
I carry either a Glock 26 Gen 3 or a Bersa Thunder Plus with Green Armalaser in my pants pocket of my Propper BDU Pants

Also a Ruger LCP 2nd Generation (not LCP II)with Green Viridian Laser in the Shirt pocket of my Propper BDU shirts.Has Ruger 7 round Magazine And Hogue Grip.

Drawing a Pistol from the Pants Pocket aint the easiest thing in the world but with the LCP in my Shirt pocket I have a pistol available for easy access whether sitting or standing and in case of a malfunction.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
In The Gravest Extreme. The role of the firearm in personal protection by Massad Ayoob should be required reading for everyone carrying a firearm. All bravado aside, there is nothing in my wallet worth getting shot, stabbed or getting beaten on for or for the hassle of the court system if my shoot isn't justified. We had a prosecuting attorney come and speak at a gun club NRA meeting and it was enlightening. Every state has different laws.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Great news! Apparently, I'm not old yet - 'cause I'm still shooting what I always have, for the most part.......including that "gay" K9 and "heavy" Shield. laugh
Gave up on the GI sights on the 1911 though.

I'm rolling here, over the predictable answers from some of the usuals. 😅

The doofus oughtta be along any minute.......
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19

mike r

I think (hope) you’re talking about something different than Mike. He’s talking about the mechanical use of the gun, which is what many people are truly terrible at.

If your how-to-shoot-more-better instructor spends a lot of time in the classroom, find a new instructor.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
I'm using a SIG P220-1. I sometimes go with my other acp , a 3" S&W 1911. But the other pocket pistol is a Scandium J-frame 38 +P concealed hammer with lock. It is ALWAYS unlocked. The SIG fits in my pocket where there is a divider in the lower 1/4 of the pocket. That keeps a barrel lined up, never rolls upside down. The S&W Same in the 45. The 38 goes into a pouch that hides the shape and keeps it vertical for draw. The SIG is fun as I was once a revolver guy. It has a long trigger pull but decent reset. I keep an eight rounder in the gun and two ten rounders in the opposite pocket. Duluth Trading Co. jeans are great and last for quite a long time. I don't have to buy jeans every year when using them. They do look TACTICAL though. If needing to be gray then other arrangements are made. Usually don't go to places needing a gray man. I've worked nights at bad neighborhoods in Kansas City in the past. I did one better and now work in a prison. Be Well, RZ.
I don't know what a gray man is. I don't wear BDU
Clothes either.
The only time I really feel vulnerable is in parking areas getting to and from a vehicle or at a a gas station
I have learned.that drawing a handgun from a front pocket while sitting in a car is not easy.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19

My 360J is a 357. It has the scandium frame with the polished SS cylinder . It also has a red ramp front site.
Hasbeen
Posted By: RGK Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Nothing has changed since I drifted into old guy status. I carry the same handgun (442) that I used long ago when I was purchasing rock cocaine daily. Back then it rode in my right-rear jeans pocket, covered by a T-shirt or two. Now I carry it IWB on my left side (I'm a lefty). A speed strip and a cheap pocket knife completes the package. If I'm traveling far I'll add another speed strip. Too easy.
Bob

Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

I carry a P938 everyday , but on occasion I'll carry a J-Frame 638 with Stripper clips also . I load the the srippers with 6 rounds though. Doesn't take up anymore space and if you do need 10 more, you might need 12 more.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Edc for old guys - 11/02/19
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

My 360J is a 357. It has the scandium frame with the polished SS cylinder . It also has a red ramp front site.
Hasbeen

I shot a scandium frame 2" S&W Revolver with .357 157 gr loads and it recoiled so bad that it would cock the hammer under recoil at least twice on firing a full cylinder. Nice revolver, just wasn't for me.
Originally Posted by RGK
Back then it rode in my right-rear jeans pocket, covered by a T-shirt or two. Now I carry it IWB on my left side (I'm a lefty).

How does that work drawing from the right rear jeans pocket with the left hand?
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Edc for old guys - 11/03/19
Backup gun drawn with right hand?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19
I’m not old. Least not yet. But I think it’s hard to beat a J-frame.

I carry this 360 in .357 everyday. Never felt undergunned (capacity or energy)

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: mini14jac Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19
After more than 20 years of trying off and on, I've given up on the 642.
We've had a couple, not counting the Taurus knockoff.
The recoil was always unpleasant, no matter the grips, and accuracy was never what I would be comfortable with.

My EDC as a grandpa who mainly travels in low threat areas is either a Glock 43 on the belt or a Ruger LCP in the pocket.
Posted By: RGK Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence
Originally Posted by RGK
Back then it rode in my right-rear jeans pocket, covered by a T-shirt or two. Now I carry it IWB on my left side (I'm a lefty).

How does that work drawing from the right rear jeans pocket with the left hand?

Gun was carried in anticipation of a RIGHT hand draw (hence in the right rear pocket). Usually, the primary paw is busy doing other stuff when negotiating a narcotics transaction, so I liked carrying my gun on my support side (right side/pocket). Easier to protect it that way, too. I was also used to drawing my backup gun with my right hand from my uniform days.
Bob

Okay got it.

I've seen pics of your 442 before and I think you may be the only LEO who posts here who uses grip tape if that's what it is.

I'm curious to know why you favor that. Seems like a good idea.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19
Had a Birthday yesterday and my Daughter took me to lunch.

When we met, she handed me a box in a bag, but told me NOT to open it in the restaurant.

So, I looked in the bag and saw a "Sig" sticker on the end of the box!

My Daughter and Son in Law had bought me a Sig P-365 for my Birthday!

This is going to be a GREAT little carry gun! And will go in the rotation with my two Glocks. ( 19 and 43)

It fits the pocket holster for my Glock 43, and a Galco IWB that I have, so I'm set for holsters.

What a GREAT Daughter!

Virgil B.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Had a Birthday yesterday and my Daughter took me to lunch.

When we met, she handed me a box in a bag, but told me NOT to open it in the restaurant.

So, I looked in the bag and saw a "Sig" sticker on the end of the box!

This is going to be a GREAT little carry gun! And will go in the rotation with my two Glocks. ( 19 and 43)

It fits the pocket holster for my Glock 43, and a Galco IWB that I have, so I'm set for holsters.

What a GREAT Daughter!

Virgil B.

Sweet!
The SIL must be okay too. wink
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

After you vet the gun for reliability, you shouldn't really need a "rotation."
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19

Okay got it.

I've seen pics of your 442 before and I think you may be the only LEO who posts here who uses grip tape if that's what it is.

I knew a cop, a detective, back in the 1980s who wrapped a dozen or more rubber bands around the wood grip of his J-Frame .38.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Edc for old guys - 11/04/19
There are one or two of us.

I use hockey tape. Besides for additional grip, it holds a small piece of EVA foam on the backstrap that greatly aids in comfort when shooting and recoil control.

I too, when I was working the job, carried on my non dominate side. Except I am a right hand shooter, so I had a left hand pocket holster built. When I was working detectives, I would slide my hand into my left pocket on unknown contacts. Once I determined that they were not a threat, I would slide my hand back out of my pocket, and nobody was the wiser.
Posted By: Remington6MM Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
I've been making some cross draw/driver holsters for me and some buds. Way easer than trying to reach back to grab the gun. Driving or sitting in a restaurant, it's just damn handy. I make them with thumb break which makes a smooth operation.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
I've been making some cross draw/driver holsters for me and some buds. Way easer than trying to reach back to grab the gun. Driving or sitting in a restaurant, it's just damn handy. I make them with thumb break which makes a smooth operation.

Well, we need pics then!
Somebody, and I hate to ask cuz it's been posted before, needs to repost the picture posting procedures for dummies.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
Look at the top (sticky) thread in the handgun forum.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
Could you explain the purpose of a rotation please?
Us civilians are curious.
Posted By: RGK Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19

Okay got it.

As usual Mackay Sagebrush nailed it. I like how electrical tape is "grippy" (especially in hot, humid So Cal weather). I also found that the tape tends to keep the revolver from sliding out of the pocket. Lastly, a revolver spotted in your pocket all taped up doesn't look like a "cop gun", at least to suspects. If you've ever spent time recovering stolen weapons you'd know what I mean. You'll see lots of tape on guns that are seized by the police. If I was "made" (gun spotted), my gun looked like a bad-guy's gun...no holster, no spare ammo, no cool grips. Easier to talk your way out of a situation and even continue with a purchase. My gun was spotted more than once; I brushed off the comments by saying I don't trust anyone around rock (cocaine) and money. Sometimes it worked, other times you get the deer in the headlights look and your dealer is off and running. Then it's on to the next prospective deal around the corner.
Bob

Here's my retirement rig:
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
Originally Posted by RGK

Okay got it.

As usual Mackay Sagebrush nailed it. I like how electrical tape is "grippy" (especially in hot, humid So Cal weather). I also found that the tape tends to keep the revolver from sliding out of the pocket. Lastly, a revolver spotted in your pocket all taped up doesn't look like a "cop gun", at least to suspects. If you've ever spent time recovering stolen weapons you'd know what I mean. You'll see lots of tape on guns that are seized by the police. If I was "made" (gun spotted), my gun looked like a bad-guy's gun...no holster, no spare ammo, no cool grips. Easier to talk your way out of a situation and even continue with a purchase. My gun was spotted more than once; I brushed off the comments by saying I don't trust anyone around rock and money. Sometimes it worked, other times you get the deer in the headlights look and your dealer is off and running. Then it's on to the next prospective deal around the corner.
Bob

Makes sense! When I was in the Wholesale Firearms Industry, we used to buy truck loads of Police conficated weapons for resale & parts guns. It never ceased to amaze me how many had electrical tape wrapped around the grips.
Posted By: Bluedreaux Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
All of my carry and work guns have bicycle inner tube on the grips. If you get a little solvent on them the rubber breaks down a little and is just the right amount of grippy.

Had one rip on vacation a while back and got a free replacement from the bike shop in Glacier NP.
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Somebody, and I hate to ask cuz it's been posted before, needs to repost the picture posting procedures for dummies.

Now I just need to know how to make them fit. Said I'm too big. Damn I'm tired of hearing that
Posted By: colodog Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
I didn't wait for retirement to get my Airweight in 32 H&R, 6 shot.
It's the right amount of recoil for that platform in my hands..
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Edc for old guys - 11/05/19
Had a S&W 32 H&R Airweight, and it's one of those guns I should have NEVER traded off.

Whelennut;

If you're asking about the rotation of guns from my post, It's for different seasons.

I carry a different gun when it's hot than when I'm bundled up with a winter coat. (easier to conceal in cool weather)

This new Sig 365 might be good for all-year-around carry. I can carry it in a pocket for summer carry in shorts and a Tee shirt, or IWB for winter.

10+1 a good trigger, small and light, and I "hit" well with it. What's not to like!

Virgil B.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Edc for old guys - 11/06/19
FreeMe;

YEP! My Son In Law is the GREATEST also!

He and my Daughter sure make a good team.

Seems they're both fond of the "old man"

Virgil B.
Posted By: whelennut Re: Edc for old guys - 11/08/19
Thanks. That makes sense. In winter I can carry a Model 66 4 inch easily.
© 24hourcampfire