Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
All the Barnes I've shot and seen shot, Bones and heavy skin/muscle underneath them made a difference ( they opened faster and wider) in wound channel and exit holes. 30 cal left 50 cent piece wound channel "all the way through, from beginning to exit hole. They penetrate like crazy too, I always use them on a "money" hunt.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
A bullet that I have had the most consistent performance with is the 180gr or 200gr Accubond. Here on the fire they love the Barnes more than I do, I have found them to be somewhat inconsistent. Have had hunts where they were devastating and worked amazing well and hunts where they just pencil through and take multiple shots. The Barnes are also more temper mental to find a good load and seating depth. The Accubonds are easier to get to shoot well and always perform well on game IME.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by boatanchor
A bullet that I have had the most consistent performance with is the 180gr or 200gr Accubond. Here on the fire they love the Barnes more than I do, I have found them to be somewhat inconsistent. Have had hunts where they were devastating and worked amazing well and hunts where they just pencil through and take multiple shots. The Barnes are also more temper mental to find a good load and seating depth. The Accubonds are easier to get to shoot well and always perform well on game IME.

Finicky? Barnes is one of the many accurate bullets made. I've used the TSX or TTSX since about 2004 in multiply rifles and have found them to be extremely accurate with no muss or fuss.

penciling through you have any pictures of this phenomenon?

Last edited by jwp475; 11/06/19.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Finicky? Barnes is one of the many accurate bullets made. I've used the TSX or TTSX since about 2004 in multiply rifles and have found them to be extremely accurate with no muss or fuss.

penciling through yoh have any pictures of this phenomenon?

Same here, without question...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The early X was definitely finicky, ha. The XBT was better. The XLC was a weird duck as it was so slick sometimes, in some rounds, you couldn't get enough powder behind it for real speed. It worked though. The TSX really opened the floodgate, and now, it seems, the TTSX is both accurate, fixed the fouling issues, and opens better. As said many times, IF you want to use smaller calibers on softer game, if you use a mono, best go for bone or CNS. When you game is heavy muscled, thicker skinned or you want a lot of penetration, they work really well. The compromise for me is to use Barnes to stand up to the velocity of higher speeds, i.e. magnums, or close shots with deer rifles. I have used one Accubond on game ( 180 338 RUM, Aoudad) my SIL has used them more than with .270/140 on PA deer, 338 Federal/180 on mule deer, 35 WAI/225 on elk, and 300 RUM/200 on elk. They work fine too. So hey, yes, they are great bullets too. I myself, still enjoy heavy for caliber cup n core bullets on game. But I like to do a necropsy on them, ha. I want "see" what my bullet choice did. Many, many guys could care less, as you guys know.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Barnes TTSX and don't look back

Yup....but the Nosler partition is a fine candidate as well.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I agree on the 200 Nosler for sure! My 300 shoots it with both H4831sc and R23 like a varmint rifle! I don't know if I would ever use it, but I know the recipe now! smile

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I agree on the 200 Nosler for sure! My 300 shoots it with both H4831sc and R23 like a varmint rifle! I don't know if I would ever use it, but I know the recipe now! smile

That is one bullet that’ll work for everything you’d point a 300 Win Mag at.

What sorta speeds did you get from 23 and 4831 Jim?

Last edited by beretzs; 11/06/19.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I still wasn't able to chrono them yet Scotty. I'm guessing around 2900+ with the H4831sc load and 2800+ with the R23. But its just a guess. I "could" be running 3000 due to this rifles tight chamber and that thick Jagmann brass, ha.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No need to reinvent the wheel. Accubonds or TTSX will do your huckleberry justice.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

WOW J dub you are exactly the myopian I was referring to 😂😂😂
I must admit I have not tried them in “multiply rifles “ not sure I have seen one before ❓❓ I have tried them in a few of my rifles over the years and this was my last experience....

I went on a deer hunt in 2017 where they insisted and even paid for part of your Bullets if you shot mono’s to SAVE the Condors, I figured I would give Barnes one more try , I decided to shoot one of my 223’s and use the Barnes 62gr tsx ... I bought 300 bullets and 5 boxes of Remington ammunition with the same bullet. Remington calls them HTP ammo.

I shot the Remington HTP ammo in 4 different rifles,2 AR’s and 2 bolt rifles , every group was 3”+....I started load development with my standard load for the Sierra 65gr sbt and that brought groups into the 2”- range, after about 2 more weeks of trips to the range I finally found the magic load and seating depth to shoot 1/2” groups ( I call that a bit finicky) !!!
On my hunt it was 1 shot done ✅ the bullet performed perfect ‼️

On the other end I had 2 Wyoming tags in 2010, an antelope and deer tag. I was using the Barnes 168gr tsx in my 300WM , both took multiple shots to put down as the exit hole was same size as entry hole.....about.308” diameter......amazing how their 22cal bullets worked better than their 30cal bullets. I would call that inconsistent

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I still wasn't able to chrono them yet Scotty. I'm guessing around 2900+ with the H4831sc load and 2800+ with the R23. But its just a guess. I "could" be running 3000 due to this rifles tight chamber and that thick Jagmann brass, ha.

Shoot, zero it for 250 and commence to swatting everything down grin

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Shocked J-dub has no reply, thought he knew everything 🤔‼️

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 200 grain Nosler A/B, shoots great in my 300 Win. Mag. With RL-23

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs

That is one bullet that’ll work for everything you’d point a 300 Win Mag at.

What sorta speeds did you get from 23 and 4831 Jim?

300 Win. Mag. Info.
With the 23 powder and Nosler 200 grain A/B. As I was working up the load, increasing the powder charge the groups would get smaller. I stopped at 71 grains giving me 2878 fps. I have shot this load on paper a few times, each time going 1/2" or less.
I hope this was a help.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Shocked J-dub has no reply, thought he knew everything 🤔‼️

Who the hell is J dub?
No mention of internal damage. I've been shooting TSX or TTSX since 2004 in a multitude of rifles with zero issues. And drol in their tracks lethality. Shot placement is paramount with any bullet

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I also stopped at 71 gr R23 and 72 with H4831sc. I reloaded 3 of each to chrono later this AM. The R23 primer pockets were a tad "loose" compared to the H4831 load, though both were easily resized in the FL die. My "guess" s e H4831 is closer to 2800fps and the R23 closer to 2900! I will know here in just a bit, Lord willing. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
how are the groups further out ? you may find 1.5 inch 100 yards groups are also 1.5 inch at 200 yards.....

at any rate 1.5 moa is more than adequate for taking elk size game at most any reasonable distance

but you could try 200 gr Accubonds , I doubt the 1 in 10 twist is your problem

This.

I also doubt that your twist has anything to do with the accuracy issue. 1-10 should be plenty. I checked a review or two on these, and while a 1-12" .308 was a bit less accurate than it usually was, the other test rifle(s) with 1-10" were fine. Be pretty dumb to market ammo or bullets that won't stabilize in standard twists without at least warning the suckers up-front.

BTW, JB says the miracle of smaller groups at longer ranges is most likely due to scope parallax, not bullets "going to sleep". He's often right about things 😜.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I must admit I have not tried them in “multiply rifles “ not sure I have seen one before ❓❓ I have tried them in a few of my rifles over the years and this was my last experience....

I went on a deer hunt in 2017 where they insisted and even paid for part of your Bullets if you shot mono’s to SAVE the Condors, I figured I would give Barnes one more try , I decided to shoot one of my 223’s and use the Barnes 62gr tsx ... I bought 300 bullets and 5 boxes of Remington ammunition with the same bullet. Remington calls them HTP ammo.

I shot the Remington HTP ammo in 4 different rifles,2 AR’s and 2 bolt rifles , every group was 3”+....I started load development with my standard load for the Sierra 65gr sbt and that brought groups into the 2”- range, after about 2 more weeks of trips to the range I finally found the magic load and seating depth to shoot 1/2” groups ( I call that a bit finicky) !!!

On the other end I had 2 Wyoming tags in 2010, an antelope and deer tag. I was using the Barnes 168gr tsx in my 300WM , both took multiple shots to put down as the exit hole was same size as entry hole.....about.308” diameter......amazing how their 22cal bullets worked better than their 30cal bullets. I would call that inconsistent

A 62 grain Barnes in .223 is a very long bullet....did you has a fast enough “twist rate”? Sounds like they were not stabilized! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

A 62 grain Barnes in .223 is a very long bullet....did you has a fast enough “twist rate”? Sounds like they were not stabilized! memtb

Since he got them to shoot, twist wasn't the issue.

Mono-metal bullets are well known for requiring, usually, deeper seating, so having to fiddle a bit should be expected. Just the price of doing business when using high-performance slugs.

Think of all the money you save because you only have to shoot stuff once!🤔

I've avoided the non-tipped Barnes because of reports of less than consistent expansion. The .270 130gr my son used way back when did just fine, however, maybe because the deer was close, or because the tip hadn't been battered in the magazine. Entrance and exit holes don't always indicate the carnage inside.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,176 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,547
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.