Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Yes dying in the woods of a heart attack, while hunting, beats the hell out of spending 2 years in a damn nursing home.
Or, 2 weeks in ICU.
I read about a case in the WA Cascades several years ago. 3 hunters had gone into some real hell hole and one shot a big bull elk. As they were dressing it out, one of them had a heart attack and died. It took rescuers 3 days to pack his body out of there. I wonder how long it would have taken them to pack out an elk. Granted, they likely didn't bone out the man.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A lot of us are getting older. Its a risk, we take. Do the best you can and let the chips fall.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Bad deal all the way around

Not if you consider they were doing what brought them joy. We all have to die. I'd prefer to die doing something I love than to die in my recliner.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The one big problem about dying while out hunting or fishing is the cost of finding and recovering your body that someone else has to pay. Like this guy whose boat sank. They had 2 teams of divers and sonar equipment out there. They found the boat in 100' of water so there was the cost of raising it. How much have they spent on searching for the guy in CO over the last week or so? Rescuers have died trying to retrieve a body in some hellacious place. It's not so great to die having fun when someone else has to die to bring you home.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Originally Posted by 19352012
Originally Posted by rem141r
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nothing has been released yet on how the boat sank. I hope it's not something like dementia and forgetting the drain plug until it's too late. My dad was still piloting his boat until his mid 80's when dementia started coming on. I can see him doing something like that. He had severe dementia when he died at 92.

hell it don't take dementia for that. me and dad put in one predawn morning on the ottawa river and got about 50 feet from shore when we realized we forgot the plugs. made for a real quick trip back to shore and a beached boat. kinda killed the mood for the rest of the day if know what i mean.

There's 2 kinds of boaters. Those with a story about forgetting the plug and those who lie about it.

That’s why I owned three Boston Whalers. Never had to worry about a plug. Hasbeen

Or chainsaws either apparently, if you've ever read about the original demo they did. Cut that puppy right in two while standing on it.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The one big problem about dying while out hunting or fishing is the cost of finding and recovering your body that someone else has to pay. Like this guy whose boat sank. They had 2 teams of divers and sonar equipment out there. They found the boat in 100' of water so there was the cost of raising it. How much have they spent on searching for the guy in CO over the last week or so? Rescuers have died trying to retrieve a body in some hellacious place. It's not so great to die having fun when someone else has to die to bring you home.

How about dying in your recliner holding an empty whiskey glass after dragging out a big one, eating his backstraps, and giving Grandma one last good poke.

I think I covered it all.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Being 76, I think about this, but I can die right at home here just as easily.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sad and condolences to the families. This August I lost my favorite cousin who was 68 to a drowning. He died while pan fishing in a spot he fished about every day. He was tethered to a small bridge and vertical jigging for gills and pumpkinseeds. A neighbor passed by and reported his boat and no fisherman. Autopsy ruled out the obvious like a heart attack. Still a big mystery and he could swim well and was very close to shore. He went out doing what he loved to do and will be missed,

living the good life every day
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Being 76, I think about this, but I can die right at home here just as easily.

My feelings exactly. I saw fresh griz tracks in the snow and have seen a wolf and heard others this week. I feel pretty alive and am getting tuned up for a winter of wolf hunting. Our kids applaud our activities, they are used to it.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
RIP.

They died with their boots on. Far worse ways to go out.

IC B3

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X

So what do you suggest?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The sheriff's dept says the boat is a 22' inboard. They don't have the equipment to raise it at this time. They haven't decided if they'll try later with larger recovery equipment. We may never find out why it sank.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The sheriff's dept says the boat is a 22' inboard. They don't have the equipment to raise it at this time. They haven't decided if they'll try later with larger recovery equipment. We may never find out why it sank.

I was thinking maybe a small aluminum boat, interesting, wonder what went wrong?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sad but..............better than going in a rest home or wasting away from cancer.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The old dudes went out doing what they enjoyed!!!

Here is a modern take on an a classic in theme with guys kicking the bucket doing outdoor stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Long time ago in Wyoming, a guy had killed an elk and was trying to gut him out, apparantly trying to split the breast bone with a knife, being straddle of the carcass and cutting toward himself. Knife slipped, sliced his leg severing the main artery . They found him a couple days later slumped over the elk , must have bled out and died within a minute or so.

Just another reason it might not be a good idea to go hunting by yourself.

Last edited by jnyork; 11/04/19.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have sympathy for the mens' families as well as the men.

I'd rather have a heart attack in the woods after a successful hunt then waste away in a nursing home. The Lord will's be done, but Lord willing I will go quick after a hearty life.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Condolences to the families and loved ones...

the departed.. well they are in a better place...

especially consider the politics and the country being taken over by communists...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jnyork
Long time ago in Wyoming, a guy had killed an elk and was trying to gut him out, apparantly trying to split the breast bone with a knife, being straddle of the carcass and cutting toward himself. Knife slipped, sliced his leg severing the main artery . They found him a couple days later slumped over the elk , must have bled out and died within a minute or so.

Just another reason it might not be a good idea to go hunting by yourself.
I know a lot of guys split the breast bone on deer or elk but I've never found a need to do so other than trying to keep blood off the shirt sleeves. High top gloves will handle that.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I will start my fourth quarter (75) Thursday and while arthritis is crippling my hands I can still shoot, clock a crossbow, and hold my grandkids. Maybe I can check out while dressing out the big ten point I got on my trail cam last week.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,477 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.