Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I went to the bank app checking my balance and noticed a $214 pending to Adidas..It was not me..I froze my bank account immediately and called Adidas who made a fraud ticket..How do they do this when we only use like Amazon and a couple bills online?.I have taken the card off Amazon and changed my password so what else do I need to do?..I run a chromebook/Ipad and pixel 2XL and there all up todate security wise..

How do they do this?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably got you at a gas pump, or store. Sometimes they sneak an extra read on your card while you're not looking. Cards like Visa Debit that don't require a PIN are easier. Thieves even place little cameras on ATMs and gas pumps to steal PIN numbers. You were lucky. Banks will replace your money, but its still a PITA at best.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it is indeed as you say, very limited on its use to a very few on-line purchases: Then somebody on the inside used your info or sold it. If you ever used it in public and someone saw your pass number being entered that could be it, too. I hate thieves!

I got hacked once, too. I traced it back to a purchase made on-line from single vendor. Someone there MUST have had access to my account and used my password, which I foolishly used the same password on other accounts. There is no way to stop an "inside job".

But now I use LASTPASS and all my on-line accounts, credit cards, etc have different long and complicated passwords. I don't know what else to do.

I don't like debit cards. They take cash directly from your account and you can't get it back. With credit cards you just don't pay the credit card company for a theft. It's there problem. And with credit cards you get cash back on purchases. Why use a debit card?

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I have thought about the stores or gas but when buying from a place like Adidas,don't they have to have that little security number on the back for a debit card to work?..How would they get that?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get rid of the Debit card. Mush easier to dispute bogus charges on a Credit card.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some banks, at least, will replace it. You may have to fill out a report. Someone emptied my ex's account, and she got it all back, as did a co-worker.

This is one reason I pay most of my bills online through the bank's site, not at the sites of the folks I owe. That keeps my account info out of their hands at least.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Traveler52
Get rid of the Debit card. Mush easier to dispute bogus charges on a Credit card.

Ding ding ding!! Never buy online with your debit card.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My biggest complaint is there are fixes to these problems I was told by a Individual who works for a large Bank in the IT department but here's the problem it would cost more to update systems that would fix credit card fraud but it would cost more than what the fraud costs the Banks.
So the Banks just let this be a pain in the a** to there customers because it will cost them some money.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
The Adida rep was awesome and gave me a case number to give to the bank Monday morning..They just shipped it so hopefully they can get the person before he gets the goods at the address it was shipped too..

My Chromebook is encrypted..My Pixel 2XL is also encrypted and gets a security patch each month but I am new to the Ipad..They are supposed to be secure but maybe I need to get it encrypted,if they can be...

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I've had credit cards hacked twice and a debit card once - 2 of those 3 times, the bank caught it first, locked my account and contacted me. I used to use a debit card for local fuel purchases but no longer. I sometimes use a debit card for small purchases at local businesses. Any online or out of town purchases are credit card only. I'm not sure if there's anything one can do to eliminate hacking, but from what I hear (and as previously mentioned), debit cards are more risky due to funds being taken from your account at the transaction.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd say you're missing $214

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can an iPad be encrypted, yes. Is that how they got it? Odds are 99-1 against it. Gas stations are an easy target by use of skimmer, mini camera, someone in the store electronically read it through your wallet or an employee nabbed it and sold on the internet. And they don’t need that code on the back.
Been hit 3 times, debit card number stolen at Office Depot, debit stolen from a Casey’s stop and rob, even though the purchase was inside. Credit card number snatched from a motel or gas station in Riverton, Wyoming.

I never use a debit card anymore online. Credit card only. Plus I had a low daily limit put on my debit card unless I call the bank and have it lifted. That 214.00 purchase wouldn’t have gone through.

Swifty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No need to even have called Adidas. Your bank was the only call you needed to make.

Dispute the charges. Get a new card sent to you. Credit or Debit. Doesn't matter. Done.

I'm averaging 2-3 times a year now with this kind of crap. I check my accounts every day. But, the truth is, the bank is usually who catches it.

The thieves can now scan your card without it ever leaving your wallet. Many folks are buying those sleeves on Amazon, which protect from that. You can place your cards within them inside your wallet.

Happy Trails.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you use a debit on line, it still runs through the Visa system, and has all the same protections of a Visa credit card.

Been hacked a couple of times with a debit card, and money was put back into the account within a day or two. Both times small charges went through, but the fraud protocols caught the large charge.

Either way, if you didn't charge it, you don't owe it, and the bank or visa is out the money.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by logcutter
I have thought about the stores or gas but when buying from a place like Adidas,don't they have to have that little security number on the back for a debit card to work?..How would they get that?

They got you at a gas pump most likely. After the 3rd time I quit using my card at gas pumps and have not had one problem since.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Probably got you at a gas pump, or store. Sometimes they sneak an extra read on your card while you're not looking. Cards like Visa Debit that don't require a PIN are easier. Thieves even place little cameras on ATMs and gas pumps to steal PIN numbers. You were lucky. Banks will replace your money, but its still a PITA at best.

They got me at a gas pump. Pain to deal with.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Hint - NEVER use a debit card online. A thief can drain your account in minutes. The bank is obligated to pay you back so your $214 isn't gone, but in the meantime, you don't have your money. With a credit card, you can go directly to the card company and enter a fraud alert. They will freeze the account immediately and usually with a day or 2 the fraudulent charges are gone. Then they send you a new card. If you don't have an online acct at your bank, get one and check your acct regularly, like at least every few days, to make sure there aren't any unknown charges.

We have 2 checking accounts. I keep most of our money in one with no check blanks and no debit card. Our SSI and pension are direct deposited in there, too. The other acct has the checks and cards. I move money from the 1st to the 2d online as needed so there's never much more and a couple hundred in the card account to be stolen. It requires a little online time to keep up with it but it's much more secure.
Last year my wife's Costco credit card showed up with 2 fraudulent charges totaling about $2200. They were both to pay auto insurance premiums. What kind of idiot would use a stolen card like that when the policies have your name and address on them? I showed it to my son who works in the fraud dept of a large auto insurance co. He thought it was pretty funny. He said if it was them, they'd have the police on them in a hurry. The bank immediately cancelled the card and reversed the charges within a day.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had a debit card hacked at a gas pump, only use debit card at ATM at the bank and inside card readers at big box stores that are open 24 hrs a day anymore. Had a credit card hacked again at a gas pump the day after an out of state company installed new pumps, inside job. Both bank and credit card company was extremely helpful. I don't ever use plastic at a gas pump anymore. Can be a pain in the ass paying before and going back in to get the overage refunded, but not as big a pain in the ass as being hacked. Most times the stores and police department don't really put much effort into it, consider it a "victim-less crime", yeah right. I NEVER use debit card online, only credit card. I carry a lot of cash anymore and rarely use plastic anymore. Never had cash hacked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had and never will have a debit card. Almost every case of card theft that I've heard of was a debit card. So far, no one that I know of lost their money, but some of them had to wait months for it to be reimbursed.

I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card one time. Called the cc company, explained that I hadn't been in Az. They immediately cancelled the charge, issued new credit card, and changed password. 2 days later my cards arrived and I was back in business.

I pay my bills with a check. I use paypal when making purchases online. No one gets my bank account info.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Dang,I guess I have been lucky up until now..Did not know so many have had this happen..

I do not know how they did it but I sure want to know..One reason I went to the pixel phones was the supposed security they offer and chromebooks are supposed to be secure and encrypted..I bought the Ipad for an aging chromebook replacement but IOS is very aggravating coming from pure android devices..After looking it up,yes they are encrypted once you set your pass code..I always use the bank app and not a browser..

Maybe they got me at the store with all the out of state hunters here or a low life employee did as mentioned,sold it..But Florida delivery is a long way from here...Saturday morning at 12am is when it happened and the bank said pending $214 which can't be reversed.... As far as just contacting the bank,it is Sunday morning so that wouldn't work..I did call the 24/7 line and reported my card stollen and they locked it down..

Man,if anyone has a fix for this kinda thing,let everyone know...I wanna do everything possible to prevent it from ever happening again as you guys do also....Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 55 invisible), 4,334 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,701
Posts18,534,699
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.