Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I don't believe it's hurt anything around here, at least to my knowledge. Personally, I know one guy who owns one. I certainly expect there are more in the area but when a bunch of "gun guys" are gathered and discussing rifles and cartridges it's rare the 6.5 Creedmoor is mentioned except in passing or as another "new" cartridge that doesn't actually "do" anything more than many others. I "know" several guys on various forums who have one but they live quite a ways from me.

As far as my experience with 6.5 caliber cartridges and rifles, they're nothing new to me. I was shooting a 264 Win. Mag. back in the late 70's and by the early 80's had pretty much wrung out the 6.5 Swede in 2-3 different rifles. I settled on the 6.5 X 54 Mannlicher/Schoenauer as much because of the 1903 M/S rifle as the cartridge...maybe a little more. So, when all the hoopla started about the evidently incomparable 6.5 Creedmoor I was more than a little perplexed. Heck, there's been great 6.5 cartridges since before the turn of the 20th century. US shooters have just been a lot slow on the uptake of how good the caliber actually is. I didn't understand why all the ink, hype and arguing over another 6.5 cal. cartridge that ballistically does no more, or less, than a couple dozen others. All it is, is more popular, better advertised and evidently a little higher developed than most other 6.5 cartridges. It's a good 6.5 cartridge but so are a couple dozen others. If a fella wants one, by all means, get it, grin the whole time you're shooting it and take a pile of game with it!!! It's certainly capable. Just don't delude yourself into thinking you bought the best 6.5 cartridge that ever existed because you didn't. Most popular......maybe...in the US. I doubt it's hurt the 6.5 X 55 Swede or 6.5 X 57 Mauser on a world wide basis.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Such a fun topic because of lovers and haters
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 09/28/19.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It CRUSHED the 308,270 and '06...in no particular order. Congratulations?!?

Pavement Pounders have zero inkling. Hint.

Pretty funny actually.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 16bore
It’s hurt a lot of ink cartridges because nothing but bullschit has been printed about them.

Please enlighten us on this bs, of which you speak.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What would Walmart do? Hire Bigstick to keep the women’s clothing department current.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
What would Walmart do? Hire Bigstick to keep the women’s clothing department current.

He be in the husky girls section. smile

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I noticed that the local farm store had exactly 17 factory loads for the 6.5 CM. Not that it matters one whit to me.im not butt hurt or influenced by what the masses buy or shoot. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was thinking about this question

And there is a lot of ways to take it

One way what cartridges has the 6.5 hurt in New gun sales

Seldom do I hear I bought a new,270 or 06
For sure

Its gets compared to 308 lots but I think 308 hold up well

I have a few 6.5s myself

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
308 has WORLDWIDE military pedigree and more than half a century head start. It hasnt been hurt a bit I can assure you.

In addition to a primo hunting and target round, the 308 has tacti-fg appeal as well. Pretty sure it’s as safe as safe can get. The ONLY round hotter currently is the 6.5 and time will tell with that one

GOD Bless America
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
308 has a long track record of success for 1000 yard matches, but the 6.5 has hurt it in this regard.

I’d say 260 never got the love it deserved in the first place, but 6.5 CM seems like a magic wand these days.

I’ve never used a 243 for whitetail, but I made my minimum a 260 (my taste).

I currently have 2) 260’s and just last night decided to test the 6.5 CM out.

If I had to toss out more calibers than the 308, I’d have to say 270 and 30-06.

Drink and be merry for soldiers die for your freedoms.

Semper Fidelis!
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I would have to say the 260 Rem, it was never offered by many manufacturers, was only marginally supported and promoted by Remington, very little factory ammo support. The 6.5 Creed will be the last nail in its coffin.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Some might say that the 6.5cm has generated more interest in the 260.

I think the 7-08 generated new interest in the 7x57

GOD Bless America
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Wouldn’t trade my 7/08 for a dozen Creeds.

+1

Ted
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Wouldn’t trade my 7/08 for a dozen Creeds.

+1

Agreed! I bought a 7mm-08 last year and have been very pleased with the results. It has been devastating on deer. Plus, in my resident state of Kentucky, in the unlikely event I ever get drawn for an elk tag, I could use the 7mm-08. The state minimum caliber is .270.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thank goodness Coyote Hunter set me straight, I hunt Elk from 8-12,000’

I almost traded my ‘06 in for a pair of tennis shoes at the police buy back

I have a browning a-bolt Boss w a 20” barrel and a suppressor screwed on instead of the BOSS

Shoots hornady 165 grain 3/4” group hot barrel cold barrel dirty barrel whatever, I could mess w the BOSS settings and maybe get it tighter

2900fps factory load

I was looking at the 6.5cm 143g and they are talking 2650 out of a 20”, factory threaded barrels seem to be 18”, slower yet

Based on coyote hunters calcs, the short barrel suppressed 6.5cm is good to 300y?

I think I will hang on to the 25y old ‘06 and pay cash for the gym shoes

Btw - I shot an Elk between the eyes at 440y last year with this set up

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would imagine the cartridge that's been hurt the single most is 7MM08.
If I lost everything and had to start over, the only short action cartridge I would own would be 6.5Creedmoor.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was looking to get my son new rifle. either the 6.5CM or 7-08. I already have 270 and 06, and didn't want 243 or 308
went to Sportsmans and there had to be 4 times more ammo of 6.5 vs 7-08 and some boxes half the price. Now, I do reload, but sometimes in a pinch or emergency... 7-08 just ins't there.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnT

Btw - I shot an Elk between the eyes at 440y last year with this set up

Why?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Aside from the most obvious 260 Remington, what cartridges has the 6.5 Creed hurt most? I am thinking the 7mm-08 is a likely candidate.

I seriously doubt that anyone knows if any cartridge has been negatively affected. You'd have to sit in at the board meetings of the various companies for a statement of annual sales.
---

Originally Posted by MedRiver
It has probably hurt way more feelings than cartridges.

Originally Posted by Brad
I don't understand why it has to be a "which cartridges has the 6.5 Creed hurt most", either-or scenario... most of us have more than one rifle, and more than one chambering. The Creed is just one more added to a battery...

Originally Posted by CP
The Creedmoor’s hype produced a different outcome for me. I probably would have never been interested in a 6.5-anything had it not been for all of the fuss about the Creedmoor. However, I found a Tikka T3x stainless Hunter in a 260 Rem. and I joined the 6.5 club by adopting this stepchild cartridge. At the 300 and 400 meter backstops, I have put up some of the very best groups in my life with this little guy. My 260 is pleasant to shoot, easy to reload for, damn accurate, has legs, and it is just an all around fun cartridge for me. I am delighted that the Creedmoor brought me to the 6.5 party, but I just ended up with a different partner. CP

I think that these are the best replies in the thread.

The smart ones, the people who are looking to buy a rifle that approximates this power factor, should take a copy of this thread to their local gun shop. Scour the used rack. The 243 and 270 seem to be the ones most people have suggested are hurting. If you agree with this pronouncement, you have a golden opportunity to get an exceptional price on a VG or "as new" 243 or 270. Show them this thread. There must be a lot of dusty, grimy examples you can buy cheap. Your LGS doesn't want to be stuck with rifles that are hard to sell, so help them out and offer to take one of these obsolete cartridges off their hands. From what I read here, they will be motivated sellers.

Of course, you have to actually believe that a 243 or 270 is capable of harvesting game. Regardless, I want to thank the Creedmoor buyers for creating these opportunities. In my own case, I got a VG condition 1943 M38 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser Sporter for $190 US.

I don't hate the 6.5 Creedmoor at all, and I don't believe that it's hurting any cartridge. It's another option. The 6.5 Creedmoor is the latest in a growing number of cartridges whose makers claim is the end all, be all of the hunting/competition crowd. I wonder how many people will jump off a bridge when it is usurped by the next, greatest offering?

Even as I type, ballisticians the world over are hard at work, developing the next, best cartridge.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yawn. The older I get, the less caught up I am on the latest and greatest. I don't hate the 6.5CM and would own one in a rifle that tickled my fancy. But Im not going to sell off all my other calibers and only shoot the 6.5. Lifes too short to eat only one flavor of icecream.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,446 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,154
Posts18,484,287
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.