Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,773 of 1,842 1 2 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
As if this morning, I was sitting out opener and going to my buddies shack on Sunday night.

The only opener I’ve ever missed was last year when I went to SD, Black Hills.

Got a cool phone Call a while ago. Jim is a very good family friend that I consider more of an Uncle than a friend. Jim really got me into hunting and fishing as much as I am now now. Jim’s son, Jesse, and I have been friends since we were 9 or 10.

I figured he wanted to see if I was getting ready for the opener. He was kinda. He was “scouting” grin to see what I was up to and if I planned on hunting our old stomping grounds at all.

I told him I hadn’t been there in a few years since we were in SD last year and my opening day plans with my son changed, I really hadn’t been there at all.

He said...”let’s do it. Let’s get back in there for a walk and see what we can find. We had about 5 permanent stands built and a few portables up until 2 years ago when Jack and I pulled the portables.

This place is about 20 miles north of Duluth. Pretty much the Iron Range where deer eat pine cones and tag alder buds. A chance a true trophy buck is there. But any deer up there, especially “wingin it” is a trophy.

It’s on now....I’m fired up!!

Last edited by tzone; 11/05/19.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Always love to see the camp photo's. Trail cam pic's are great to. Good luck to you guys, our opener isn't until the 15th.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
As if this morning, I was sitting out opener and going to my buddies shack on Sunday night.

The only opener I’ve ever missed was last year when I went to SD, Black Hills.

Got a cool phone Call a while ago. Jim is a very good family friend that I consider more of an Uncle than a friend. Jim really got me into hunting and fishing as much as I am now now. Jim’s son, Jessie, and I have been friends since we were 9 or 10.

I figured he wanted to see if I was getting ready for the opener. He was kinda. He was “scouting” grin to see what I was up to and if I planned on hunting our old stomping grounds at all.

I told him I hadn’t been there in a few years since we were in SD last year and my opening day plans with my son changed, I really hadn’t been there at all.

He said...”let’s do it. Let’s get back in there for a walk and see what we can find. We had about 5 permanent stands built and a few portables up until 2 years ago when Jack and I pulled the portables.

This place is about 20 miles north of Duluth. Pretty much the Iron Range where deer eat pine cones and tag alder buds. A chance a true trophy buck is there. But any deer up there, especially “wingin it” is a trophy.

It’s on now....I’m fired up!!

Glad to hear you're gonna have boots on the ground Saturday morning Tom. Best of luck to you buddy. We head out Friday morning. I'm sure we'll make a stop at Wally World, and one for groceries in Crosby, but then we're up to the lake. I'm still gonna try to haul my blind back in there. I'm taking shears with to see if I can clear a trail around the flooded area to get my deer cart back in there. Sucks that I just have so little "wind" these days. If I can't get the blind back in there, I've got a roll of burlap camo I'll take back and make a small ground blind to sit in. We've got to go check out Eric's spot too. Hoping to get all this done and be back to the cabin by 4 to get dinner going. I'm really pumped up, but it matters more to me to see the youngsters fill their tags. Eric and his buddies are good kids, and that would be awesome to see them tag out.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, Mrs Deb took matters into her own hands last night.

Decided to sit for the afternoon, as we had a cold front coming in.

4:45pm, Savage lady hunter in 7mm-08, 120gr TTSX Barnes Vortx, 2-7 x Redfield revolution.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Meat hanging !!

Tenderloins n heart for supper tonight.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Sweet! Way to break the Canadian Ice Deb!!

Is that a 7pt Paul? Looks like a nice fat buck there!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yep 7pt & a fatty !

Guessing a 2 & 1/2 year old.

Will eat really well.

Paul.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Very nice, congratulations to her!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nice tasty looking deer, congrats to your better half.

tzone, if your running around up-north. Camp Isabella is always open and the coffee is on.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
How do you like that Savage lady hunter??

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm not sure who you're talking to. But calling someone's lady a Savage is not very becoming. grin grin grin

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TJAY
Nice tasty looking deer, congrats to your better half.

tzone, if your running around up-north. Camp Isabella is always open and the coffee is on.

Thanks TJAY! We won't quite be that far up.

...someday I'll get up there. I want my son to experience a hunt up there. No place else in the country like hunting those woods.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
How do you like that Savage lady hunter??

Jake(?),

Deb loves it !

I think it was a great choice for her, first "own" rifle !

I've also used it on a bull moose, when my .308 was giving me accuracy issues, 2 days before a fly in trip.

Didn't/don't notice the shorter LOP when dressed like the michelin man !

Also took my biggest buck with it.

Accutrigger is awesome & the barrel & action coating are standing up well to our $hitty conditions.

Paul.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

Didn't/don't notice the shorter LOP when dressed like the michelin man !

Accutrigger is awesome & the barrel & action coating are standing up well to our $hitty conditions.

I hate to admit it, but the stock fits pretty damn well with the heavy coat on!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I try and give this warning every year....

Most deer hunting injuries happen due to tree stands. Please be extra careful when climbing up and down into stands. And if you used natural materials (ie logs and branches), be extra careful as they make up a disproportionate amount of the injuries. I really don't want to read about one of the people that frequent this thread having a tree stand accident. Or any accident for that matter.

Lastly, enjoy deer hunting. Have fun. If you are cold and miserable, take a break and warm up if you need to. Enjoy the time with family and friends. And if you are fortunate enough to harvest a deer, take a moment to cherish the moment. It is so easy to jump right into pictures, field dressing, dragging, etc. Take time to drink it all in.

Extra photography tidbit: Take pictures of your stand from where the deer was shot as it is an interesting perspective (the one the deer had). For grip and grin pictures, get low with the camera. Take pictures from a lot of angles. Stage the deer on its chest with its feet curled under it. Make sure the antlers are in front of a background that allows you to see the antlers really well. Most of the time, the antlers should NOT be in front of the hunter. The sky is the best (especially if the picture is taken from a low angle). It is amazing how good those pictures turn out! If you do a good job staging, you will want that picture on the wall to remind you of the hunt. Not many pictures on the tailgate make the wall!

Best of luck to all of the Chickenbuckers!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Best of luck to you too Bman.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
This is where I'll be spending most of my hunting time this year. I love being outdoors in a stand but warmth and comfort are appealing too! smile

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Great job on that enclosed blind.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great stand Jim. It looks warm. Which is more than I will be this weekend!

Page 1,773 of 1,842 1 2 1771 1772 1773 1774 1775 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 1minute, 1moredeer, 60 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,863
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.