Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
lotsa of good case studies on here for the astute reader.

i got hep A markers in my blood work.

thoughts are it came from dirty shellfish out of savannah.

it very well might not have, might have been biloxi, or PCB.

anyways i ate a lot of farm dirt when a little one, an ankle biter.

had to be wormed several times, or maybe it was de-wormed?

i disremember, but lot's of worm opportunities on a dirt farm.

at lunch down in atlanta in the building basement at the greasy spoon.

it must have been green and greasy. i blew it all out late that afternoon.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
On one visit to Germany a friend and I each had a massive crap attack hit precisely the same time after eating identical sandwiches from a train station vendor several hours before. A second friend had no sandwich and no crap attack. I don't know if it was food poisoning in the usual sense because a ride on the porcelain thunderbucket cured us right away, but it was intense.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All I know is we were always warned about the "toemain" poisoning and had to watch for the "samanellas" too. Mom refused to eat home canned stuff from our cousins' place, she was a city girl who had been brought up to be a Mom in the style of the late 40's and 50's. S&W and Bird's Eye were modern companies and would NEVER allow their customers to get the ptomaine poisoning. But my aunt and her canning jars and pots..........no way was mom allowing that stuff on her table. She would eat raw hamburger most any time it was being used for something for dinner though. Go figure, eh?

Can't ever remember getting it as a kid. I do remember getting a case on the Friday night of a Memorial Day weekend blowout we had yearly on the top of an 8000' foot mountain. We had brought up 3 kegs of Dark Lowenbrau when it was still imported from the Old Country, a house stereo and speakers, lot's of vinyl, and were prepared for the duration. Projectile vomiting is no fun, the first event barely got any on the foot of my sleeping bag when I shot straight up , bent at the waist, and became a vomit fire hydrant. Pissed me off as I figured it was going to ruin my beer drinking for the weekend. We didn't crack the kegs until late Friday night as some of the contributors had to work that day and didn't make it up the mountain until 11:00 or so. I managed to drag myself out of the sack long enough to have one glass, then back to bed and more puking. I was mostly over it the next morning, guess my body rejected it fairly well. Near as I can figure it was probably from the sides I got with my grilled ham and cheese sammi at the mom and pop place on the way up the hill from the city.

Had another not so fun time after eating a single serving frozen seafood dinner at work one night. Actually thought it might be because it had scallops in it and I'd never eaten them before. More likely, it had thawed somewhere along the line and been refrozen before it was sold to me. I didn't trust scallops for 30+ years after that even though I have no bad reactions to any other mollusc. A couple of years back I slowly worked myself into eating them and have no reaction. Frozen food can be problematic that way.

Then there's the Mexico experience, just different bugs in the water, but no fun nonetheless.

Worse than those experiences were the two cases of Giardia I've had......................no fun at all. eek Puking from food poisoning is relatively easy, I had lots of practice during my wild days of drinking and carousing. Days on the crapper with Giardia are no thrill, along with the stinkingest gas imaginable.

Slumlord, I admire you. I wish I could sit down with some good raw burger now and again. I don't trust places nowadays. Used to be if I was going to cook a 16oz steak only 12 oz would make it to the grill from the cutting board. Had a steak a few weeks back and had to have some thin slices. Did the same with my tuna last night, had to have some sashimi. It wouldn't do justice to the fish if I didn't. (And I've got loads of training in what kind of parasites fish carry)

Oh, there's no "5 second rule" around me. I play it by ear and don't wear a watch. Probably depends on how high value the food that fell on the floor is, can it be rinsed off in the sink if there's a bit of dog hair and dust on it and still taste OK? Have always told my wife, since we met, that the "Geno Germs" will take care of 99% of whatever gets on it. grin

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Valsdad
All I know is we were always warned about the "toemain" poisoning and had to watch for the "samanellas" too. Mom refused to eat home canned stuff from our cousins' place, she was a city girl who had been brought up to be a Mom in the style of the late 40's and 50's. S&W and Bird's Eye were modern companies and would NEVER allow their customers to get the ptomaine poisoning. But my aunt and her canning jars and pots..........no way was mom allowing that stuff on her table. She would eat raw hamburger most any time it was being used for something for dinner though. Go figure, eh?

Can't ever remember getting it as a kid. I do remember getting a case on the Friday night of a Memorial Day weekend blowout we had yearly on the top of an 8000' foot mountain. We had brought up 3 kegs of Dark Lowenbrau when it was still imported from the Old Country, a house stereo and speakers, lot's of vinyl, and were prepared for the duration. Projectile vomiting is no fun, the first event barely got any on the foot of my sleeping bag when I shot straight up , bent at the waist, and became a vomit fire hydrant. Pissed me off as I figured it was going to ruin my beer drinking for the weekend. We didn't crack the kegs until late Friday night as some of the contributors had to work that day and didn't make it up the mountain until 11:00 or so. I managed to drag myself out of the sack long enough to have one glass, then back to bed and more puking. I was mostly over it the next morning, guess my body rejected it fairly well. Near as I can figure it was probably from the sides I got with my grilled ham and cheese sammi at the mom and pop place on the way up the hill from the city.

Had another not so fun time after eating a single serving frozen seafood dinner at work one night. Actually thought it might be because it had scallops in it and I'd never eaten them before. More likely, it had thawed somewhere along the line and been refrozen before it was sold to me. I didn't trust scallops for 30+ years after that even though I have no bad reactions to any other mollusc. A couple of years back I slowly worked myself into eating them and have no reaction. Frozen food can be problematic that way.

Then there's the Mexico experience, just different bugs in the water, but no fun nonetheless.

Worse than those experiences were the two cases of Giardia I've had......................no fun at all. eek Puking from food poisoning is relatively easy, I had lots of practice during my wild days of drinking and carousing. Days on the crapper with Giardia are no thrill, along with the stinkingest gas imaginable.

Slumlord, I admire you. I wish I could sit down with some good raw burger now and again. I don't trust places nowadays. Used to be if I was going to cook a 16oz steak only 12 oz would make it to the grill from the cutting board. Had a steak a few weeks back and had to have some thin slices. Did the same with my tuna last night, had to have some sashimi. It wouldn't do justice to the fish if I didn't. (And I've got loads of training in what kind of parasites fish carry)

Oh, there's no "5 second rule" around me. I play it by ear and don't wear a watch. Probably depends on how high value the food that fell on the floor is, can it be rinsed off in the sink if there's a bit of dog hair and dust on it and still taste OK? Have always told my wife, since we met, that the "Geno Germs" will take care of 99% of whatever gets on it. grin

Geno

on wknds out at the hood, i had the good fortune to work in the kitchen at the local recreation bowling alley.

i was kitchen boy, the lowest ranking member in all respects of the game.

most were e 6 and above. and a civilian ran the joint.

anytime something fell on the floor we were lucky.

as the fates would have it, it allus fell on clean paper.

it was on wknds i'm speaking of, not my real job.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rong
I got it once in London from an Indian resturant,have not eaten Indian(dot) food since,27 yrs
I think my gut has a good tolerance to all foods ,but as I get older there are a few things that don't work out so well.

I got one in London once too. Nasty GI infection sent to the hospital for 4 days after I got back.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston
Paging Beaver10, Beaver10...

Never had it...Don’t know nothing about it...

Now drinking a bottle of prescription Colon Blow will refresh your memory on things you ate a year ago...💩😛😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
i suspect the digestive system of humans is a pretty tough environment.

lot's of microbes of various denominations just making a living.

the ecology of a gi system is probably very complex.

keeping our friends alive, and doing it humanely...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
I eat raw hamburger meat often, always have. Have a craving for it sometimes.

Ditto.....something my Dad taught me. Guys at the firehouse gag when I consume some while making a meatloaf for the evening dinner. Buncha millennial pussies... mad

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
there's the likelihood or possibility that we might be fortunate enough to pick up bugs who are willing to travel with us from the earliest beginnings?

that is, in our upper and lower gastronomics there are eco-systems that reside there-in who are agreeable to traveling with us?

i'm pretty sure the dogs and cats in our family are very familiar with our gastro-economics.

whether the gold fish are, i have no clue. but perhaps they're traveling with us, too?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fistful of raw burger, salt and pepper. That's good.

Throw that frozen burger in the skillet, let it brown good on one side.
Flip that sucker over, use the spatula to cut the loose stuff off the meatcicle.

Eat that.
Browned meat on one side, cold on the other.

Wife says I'm going to get worms.
I hope.

Eat all I want,
still lose weight!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1badf350, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 63 invisible), 2,343 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,179
Posts18,503,250
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.