Maven works with Japanese firm Kamakura for the final design of their optics. Kamakura probably makes somewhere around half of the MIJ binoculars on the market, but exactly what that percentage is, I' don't know, but I've been told they are the biggest optics maker in Japan. Contract, design, and prototype are done in Japan, and assembly is done in San Diego. I'm not positive, but Kamakura has their own company, KamaTec, there, so that is probably not a big leap. Kamakura also makes the Conquest HD binoculars as well as the Terra line for Zeiss.

I've had Maven Optics since they came out. I have around 40 binoculars, and if the Gods forced me to keep two, they would be Maven's B 2 9x45 and the B 3 8x30. I could not keep them long enough for a good review, but I once had JGR's Meopta S 2 and the Maven S 2 side by side. The Meopta has the advantage of removable eye pieces, which I like since I could be pretty happy with a fixed 30x wide angle eye piece. Maven's unit is integral. As far as optics go there would be no clear winner between the Maven and the Meopta. I'd hazard a guess the split would go something along the lines of 60% to Meopta, and 40% Maven, with the eye piece deal being prominent in that choice. That is just a guess, YMMV.

Maven is pretty new, and there wiill always be discussion about company histories when comparing newer vs older companies products. That simply is what it is. People will make up their own minds there. However you won't come up short on quality with the newer Maven, again...YMMV. Personally I think the new start ups have done us a favor by upping the performance ante, even if some of them do inevitably fail.

Doug's deal is pretty awesome.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"