Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
My first custom chambering in 280 Ackley has been a let-down.

The Ackley chambering does not chamber standard 280 ammo with any resistance at all. Also, a couple of fireforming loads have not fired because the primers weren't sufficiently struck. I think the headspace is that far off.

I am now using the Redding shell holders that go up to +.010. Hopefully, this will help a little with any headspace problems I am having, while sizing once-fired brass for fireforming.

NOW FOR THE QUESTION FOR THE RELOADING EXPERTS:
I would like to use nickel 280 brass for reloading in this Ackley.

Does anyone have any experience fireforming nickel brass?
Does the nickel plating chip off when the shoulder is blown out?

Thanks-MW

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike I've used Nickle in fire forming for my 6/06 and it is no bigga deal.

I've also done it for my 7 Mashburn Super, it worked just fine and I didn't use it much in that gun and this may sound kind of weird but it sure seemed to build more pressure using my normal (brass) fire form load in the Nickle.

Like I said I didn't do it much but I did it enough to know it'll work but I would lighten up my normal FF load by 1 grain to start with just to see.

Make sense?

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
That's all I use in my 280AI. So far, 200 rounds fireformed and not a flake. Some brass loaded 6-7 times, until the primer pockets expanded...and not a flake. It's good stuff.

By the way, in order to get good accuracy with fireforming loads I had to load up to top normal 280 Rem loads. Reduced loads shot like schite.

Re the headspace...if it's that far off, why not run it into a 30 cal sizer die, then resize it back down in your 280AI die until you get a crush fit?

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Great ideas and input.

Looks like I came to the right place.

I am going to 'try' to use bullet-seating-depth (into the lands) for the fireforming issue as well.

Thank you-
MW

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mike,
I have fire formed various nickled rifle cases for 30 years and had a world of good luck. Back in 1976 when Winchester came out with the Bicenennial 30-30 nickle plated brass I made 600 .30 & .357 Herretts out of some of that brass. It delivered great accuracy and accounted for 15 or 20 deer and 50 or 60 hogs since then. I have had equal good luck with Remington, Winchester, and Federal nickle plated brass. Although firing a nickle plated 30-30 in a .307 chamber to get a neat looking nickle .307 is too much of a good thing, they look great, but the fire formed .307 case is just too thin to be any good except to set up in your cartridge display.
Good Shooting!
Marcus.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I haven't had any issue with fireforming nickel brass in my .280 AI.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mike,

I have used nickle-plated brass in my 223 AI, 25-06 AI and 280 AI rifles with no problems at all.

Clearly, your big problem is that your rifle has not been chambered correctly. Not at all! You need to have the barrel set back and rechambered before you do anything else. This is the only way to safely and properly fireform brass using factory spec ammo or brass.

If not that, then you should neck up all your brass to 30 cal and then resize until you can just close the bolt on a resized case with noticeable resistance.

This will not cure the problem of using factory brass in your rifle, but will give you safe ammunition and consistent ignition.

Ted

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thank you all for your input.

I am going to go ahead with the nickel brass.

And the recommendation for necking up to .30 is a great one.

I agree, the proper fix would be to send back the barreled action to set the shoulder back. I even mentioned this common chambering problem to the gunsmith, before they installed the barrel. A commonly known name in firearms too.

Frustrating....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree what others have said. Nickel plated brass has never given me a problem I load standard 280 to near max loads and bullets set into L&G's for fireforming. Always works well
Now I use Nosler factory 280AI brass A bit expensive but very, very uniform in all aspects. Great Stuff

I would suggest you send your barreled action back to be fixed. It sure sounds like the chambering is way too deep! Borrow a set of headspace guages and check it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (16penny, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,318
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.