Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Fireboss
That's a wonderful story. We will never see men like them again, heros all.

Yes, you will.

It is just that the media will do it's level best to cut them down.

^^^^

They're out there now. We're just never told about it by the media.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
God bless those men...those that came home and those that did not.

I never fully understood the sacrifice of war until I had a child. It wasn't something I could comprehend.

God bless our Gold Star families too

GOD Bless America
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q

Hopefully we won't ever need to...but if the war toxin sounds I promise you will. Americans will always stand and fight. Vietnam, Korea, and the middle east have shown this time and time again.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I disagree. We have a lot of them in the military today but without an all out war like WWII, we don't see them. We live in a fog as to what's really going on in the ME.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Fine story.

One friend who died years ago told me a bit about it and he had photos he had taken with a little camera, maybe a Kodak Brownie, of literally hundreds of dead enemy soldiers from a mass attack the night/day before.

Retired cat herder.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you for posting, vapodog. I read the book several years ago and I was at the memorial a year and a half ago. Very moving. I was hoping to walk through Arlington cemetery, but they were still on winter hours and I got there too late.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I disagree. We have a lot of them in the military today but without an all out war like WWII, we don't see them. We live in a fog as to what's really going on in the ME.

Brave men (and women) are still with us, there are plenty of them, MSM still hates the military as do the liberals so you dont get to see too many of them.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My wife’s uncle was with a mortar crew on Iwo. He fought in other battles also and would talk a little about those but not about Iwo Jima - except to say that he threw his helmet away during the siege. That was tantamount to committing suicide. He said he couldn’t take it anymore.

Thank you for taking the time to share this!

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
WOW! That was an incredible story, I hope those kids understand how lucky they were to be there for that. Any chance you could post the video?

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That was a tough read. Thanks for posting.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My step grandfather was on the USS Missoula, an APA (Army Patrol Attack) that picked up some Marines in Hawaii and took them to Iwo. He was on board the Missoula when the big flag went up. (Supposedly the little flag was hauled to Iwo on the Missoula by a company of Marines) He said every ship in the harbor and around the island sounded their whistles and horns. He also said starting on the first day they started taking wounded on board and a couple of days after the flag went up they went back to Saipan to off load the wounded survivors at a big hospital they had there. He never mentioned being on the island so I don't know if he ever set foot on it. He never spoke about the wounded or those who did not survive the trip to Saipan. Every time it was brought it up he would start tearing up and the conversation ended.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I read that book some years ago. It is heart-rending.

I see red when I hear idiots today complain that the flag-raising photo was "staged" and therefore somehow trite. Bullschit. Those six guys - and the photographer - fought their way to the top of that damn volcano. They survived days of horror to get there. And they were raising a big flag so their brothers down below could see their sacrifice was not in vain. They were still in extreme danger while doing it, maybe even more so because any Japanese nearby would have been infuriated to see it happening.

All of them deserve being memorialized. And all of them were better men by far than the whiny schits who today try to demean them.

Amen, Rocky.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As long as we have men and women who raise their hands and take THE OATH, we will have heroes. Only 1% of the population volunteers for the military, so in some respect, they all are. Some go above and beyond that, however. Sometimes way above. Crisp salute, all.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read this before, but it’s a great thing to keep in mind.
Thanks for posting it again. We owe our Dads and Uncles, and even our Granddads a debt that we cannot repay. They call it “The Greatest Generation” for a reason.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I enjoyed that very much, thank you!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We visited that monument a few times when I was a small child. It held special significance to my father, but I didnt know why at the time.

I do now.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an uncle on Guadalcanal, another on Iwo Jima, my dad was on Okinawa, all USMC. None of them would talk about it much. Absolute friggin' heroes, all of them.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for posting Vapo. Someone mentioned taking care of Gold Star families. I have a customer who is a Gold Star mother. She has never mentioned it but her daughter has. I looked up the story of how her 19 year old son lost his life in an IED explosion in Iraq. My staff knows to take care of this lady’s needs. We help her and her husband as best we can. My family had several members who served in the Pacific and in Europe. We were fortunate that all came home. Real fortunate. To a man, none ever bragged about the war. If asked questions, they would answer.

In the last year of his life, one of my uncles who fought in the Pacific was asked by a young nephew (around 5-6 years old, “Uncle JT, did you ever kill a man?” My uncle looked at my dad (Korea Chosin Reservoir Marine) and then looked at me (I was 21) as if to ask if he should answer the question. Finally he answered with a story. “I was pulled off the line and sent to Australia because I had malaria, yellow fever, and yellow jaundice at the same time. When I was ready to go back, I was put on a guard detail watching a small bridge. That day I killed 30 men.” He was dead serious as his thoughts went back to that day

War or not, that’s a lot of killing. That’s a lot to carry in your head for the 38 years he lived post war.

From the stories shared on 24hcf, few of these brave souls talked about what they went through. All considered those left behind as heroes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

407 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 37 invisible), 1,821 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.