Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

Won this rifle at a banquet last night. 308, stainless with a camouflage stock. Never owned one of these before. Or even shot one.

Anyone have any personal experience with them? It says they have an MOA guarantee. Is it worth mounting a scope on and trying it out?

Thanks
RAS

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had one in 7mm/08 that was a very good shooter. I let it go, but not because I had a problem with it. Something else shiny came along and I traded it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably Weather Shield, not stainess. Don't think they've made them in SS, at least I never saw one.

I believe JB has said good things about the accuracy of a .223.

If you plan to sell it, don't shoot it. NIB commands a premium in this soft market. Check prices on new and LN models on Gunbroker. You may decide it's worth keeping as a spare or range toy rather than let it go for a pittance. .308s are boring to some, but very useful. I'm seldom without one, sometimes two.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It should shoot.

I had a camo predator 22-250 that was easily a 1/2" gun and a bud had an all black 223 that was the same.

Should make a good hunting rifle.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a 6.5-284 in the weathershield model. purchased it from a member here. it's a shooter for sure.

IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in 270. Shoots as good as my tikka if not better (sometimes)
Keep it!

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
As close to a tikka as anything out there.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have 2 T/C Venture compacts (20" bbl) that I like very much. The 243 groups 100 grain and 95 grain bullets at 1" average. I am loading with h4831sc at 44.0 gr. The accuracy with 58 and 60 varmint bullets is between .5 to .75 inch at 100 yards reloading with h380 or imr4064. Very good trigger is set at 3.5# on my rifles. The bolt lift is only 60 degrees and may take some use getting comfortable. The 7mm-08 has only been to the range once and shows promise to group MOA with premium ammunition. Non premium ammunition is grouping from 1" to 1.7 " at 100 yards. T/C guarantees 1" at 100 yards with premium ammo.
The T/C Compass is a lower priced gun selling very well. It has hurt resale value of the higher quality Venture. The higher priced and better quality rifles are not selling that well in my area.
I suggest checking the resale market in YOUR area before making a decision.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My 30-06 TC shoots avg .54" with Ballistic tips and H4350.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Venture 7mm-08 that I would show you a picture of, if I can ever get it back from my buddy, he says it is a one holer and anything out front of it dies. He's been stacking up pigs with it for a year now.

NRA Endowed Patron Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Not even in the same ball park and I've got both. The Tikka trigger mechansm alone is worlds better than the Venture to say nothing of the magazines. In fact, a Howa is a much better rifle than the Venture for about the same price. Despite the fact that my Venture shoots quite well, I'd not buy another.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Not even in the same ball park and I've got both. The Tikka trigger mechansm alone is worlds better than the Venture to say nothing of the magazines. In fact, a Howa is a much better rifle than the Venture for about the same price. Despite the fact that my Venture shoots quite well, I'd not buy another.

Wondering if he meant accuracy?
I will agree the tikka feels better in every way. But accuracy is a toss up.
You want something that feels better than the tikka at same price point ? The Sauer 100

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Wondering if he meant accuracy?
I will agree the tikka feels better in every way. But accuracy is a toss up.
You want something that feels better than the tikka at same price point ? The Sauer 100
I agree the Tikka "feels better" in every way but it's not just feel that makes it a better rifle. The trigger mechanism in the Venture is about as Mickey mouse as they come. I don't know how most folks judge quality but just take the rifle apart and pay attenton, particularly to the trigger mechanisms in each. The Venture has a flimsy, stamped and folded sheet metal housing. The Tikka housing is precisely machined aluminum with machined steel internals. The Venture housing tolerances aren't nearly as precise and allow slight movement/wobble of the pins that secure the tigger and sear. That slight play makes it virtually impossible to set sear engagement, pull weight and overtravel as fine as neccesary for a truly fine, light, creep free, overtravel free trigger pull. Which is likely the reason T/C installs a trigger return spring more suited to the rear end of a truck than a trigger from the factory. I had to disassemble mine and install a lighter spring to get pull weight below 4 lbs. and still cannot set it much below 3 lbs. and creep free without an occasional failure to recock when operating the bolt briskly. And for god sakes the safety detent is nylon ! Then there's the magazines. The one piece Tikka mags {no seperate floor plate} are tough as nails while the two piece Ventures are known to blow their bottoms off and puke their guts. There's really just no comparison. The Tikka blows the Venture away.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dre
I have one in 270. Shoots as good as my tikka if not better (sometimes)
Keep it!

My buddy has one in 270, and it shoots better than my tikkas as well. Pharm would have a conniption fit if he saw how accurate it is

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Out of the current selection of "Bic" rifles...it would probably be my pick...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Here i thought people were supposed to give their OPINIONS but i guess there's a right and wrong to my opinion.

Sorry about that blackheart

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in 270wsm amazingly accurate. Other than the stock not much plastic on the rifle. I bought it new with 2 mags for $300.00. Can’t go wrong

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you want my opinion, I would sell it off NIB as fast as possible.

As soon as you shoot it, then it's just another plastic contraption worth very little to anyone. They are a disposable commodity, whether accurate or not.

Otherwise, find a new shooter/hunter and give them the rifle and teach them to shoot it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10Glocks, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,437 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,447
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.