Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I just went to a funeral of an old family church friend. He was 96 and served as a LtJG aboard the USS Teton in WW2, the flag ship for the battle of Leyte Gulf. Attended the Japanese surrender. He had five daughters, two of which are older than me and in their 70s. I hadn't seen them n many years, but noted how old they looked. They commented to me . . ."you haven't changed" . . . which I took as a compliment. I turn 67 in a week, but don't think I look too old, but I don't look forward to turning 70 (Lord willing of course - James 4:14) . . . "Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm just about to "turn 67" in a couple months, so "I don't feel Old either" Pard! ha. Some would call 70 old, but its more like 80. I think its 80 because of the "Life Expectancy" charts. I'm shooting for 120, but when I get to "100", I'll decide if I want to finish my course right there. smile God bless.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/08/19.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The number is different for everyone. Some folks fall apart at an age when others are hitting their stride.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
depends.....are we wookworking or sheep hunting ? wink

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always thought that "really old" was at least 20 years older than I am. In 7 weeks I'll be 68, but I still have all my hair . . .

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter
I've always thought that "really old" was at least 20 years older than I am. In 7 weeks I'll be 68, but I still have all my hair . . .

good answer!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I honestly believe, and not just because I’m pushing 50, that people used to look and more importantly act a lot older at 50 or 60 than they do now.

You can see a little of it in some old movies. Watch some movies from the 50s or earlier. You’ll see guys playing mature middle aged men. You google them up and you see that the actor wasn’t even forty years old when the movie was made. By today’s standards the guy looks 50 or more.

Maybe I’m imagining things and/or engaging in wishful thinking, but it seems that way to me. My dad is almost 82 and still does pretty much anything he wants within reason. I could say that he looks and acts at least ten years younger, but then again guys like him are a lot more common than they used to be.

Last edited by JoeBob; 11/08/19.
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Turning 37 this December. Its been a long road thus far but worth every uphill step. Switched carriers 11 months ago and took a massive pay cut to be a better father and husband. Better hell...I was never home and really not a father or husband at all. Working out the kinks still but I have to say...its great being a father and husband...enjoying the things money cannot buy.

Money isn't everything...but ill say that worrying about adds a little spice.

GOD Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Old is 15 years older than you are. At 5, 20 is old. At 20, 35 is old, etc.... I am 70 so guess 85 is old.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
IC B3

Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
FWIW I don't consider folks under 90 to be old. I see lots of guys in their 80s shooting and hunting and in general getting after it

GOD Bless America
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"don't think I look too old, but I don't look forward to turning 70"

Tired of living??? I was 76 this past January and my Daughter made the comment about how young I still looked when she took a picture of me with my 5 Grandkids standing behind me at their dining room table. I told her I didn't think I looked very young anymore because the last 6 years have pretty rough. She still had a picture of me at the same table with my 5 Grandkids at my 70th birthday and showed it to me. I looked exactly the same except that I was wearing glasses when I was 70 and have had my cataracts removed since then so no more glasses. I have a lot of ancestors that lived well to in their 80's, several into their 90's and one over 100. Check out your ancestors.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it's some strange combination of age, dna, and environment.

how rode hard and put up wet were ya?

any bad diseases?

too much food?

dna trumps all.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh, to be 70 again. grin

[Linked Image]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m turning 67 in March, lot of us that age on here.

I don’t feel old, but I am, still working, do anything I want to do. I just don’t want to do as much. I used to be in my shop building BBQ pits, pig traps, all kinds of crap. I’m not mad at all that crap anymore. I didn’t plant a garden this year, just didn’t want to.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by jnyork
Oh, to be 70 again. grin

at some point, there's some psycho-spiritual realities beginning to enter the picture.

seriously, there's lot's to talk about, and plenty of room for disagreements.

you know, throwing soft backed hymn books and all of that stuff.

i just hate it when my 87 year old neighbor has the rest of his toes removed.

well, he wasn't using them. riding a pricey little battery powered go-vehicle.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by UtahLefty
depends.....are we wookworking or sheep hunting ? wink

Best response of the week!

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am 68, and those 78 year old women look at me like I am a piece of meat.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Turn 75 next month, still working, go the the gym about 3 times a week. Just had my yearly physical and doc say's everything is better than normal for my age.
Wife is 73, she's also a gym rat, loves to work out and looks it. People easily say she looks like she's in her early 60's, she also is in very good health.
I see some of my friend and classmate who are the same age and look as if they are at deaths front door, bent over, walkers and wheel chairs, girls have the tits tucked into their waist band.
Looking back at my aunts and uncles, they sure looked a lot older than they were, I guess back then 70+ was considered real old.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clint Eastwood said "don't let the old man in." I never said such a thing, but that's how I've approached life and defied aging since it dawned on me that it really IS happening to me.

So, I guess it just depends on the person. Some guys just refuse to "be" old, and they seem to be successful at keeping old age at bay. I do think that sitting on your ass in front of the television is a good way to get old before your time.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 47 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,058
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.