-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The 7-08 came today. I just got it bedded into it's stock and am awaiting it to dry.
<br>
<br>It is a Rem700 short,lapped/squared,blah blah blah. The barrel is a 1-10" twist S/S Lilja,22" long,SAAMI neck and .825" at the muzzle. I had it polished to look like chrome and it most certainly does! The action wears a heavy bead blasted,matte Teflon finish.
<br>
<br>The above rides in a McMillan A-2 Tactical,in what has become my favorite color. A 50/50,black and white swirl pattern. The stock is of the heavy fill variety and wears a Decelerator pad,at 13.5" LOP. It has two swivel studs,in the usual location.
<br>
<br>I mounted Leupold Dual Dovetail bases and rings(am out of posiligns,but will retrofit later),in matte finish and utilizing the extended front arrangement. The glass is a straight 12x Leupold with turrets and duplex reticle.
<br>
<br>All in all,I am very pleased with the results. If it shoots anywhere near its racy looks,I'll have a winner. The stock fit so well,that I left the tang alone and opted to only bed the recoil lug and float the barrel,from the lug forward.
<br>
<br>Tomorrow will be load development and I hope to get it on paper Saturday. I'll be using the excellent Redding type S sizer and Competition seater. I'm going to start Speer 145gr BTSP's, .005" into the lands,with Re-15,while looking for the Speed Limit. I'll bang away with them,to establish break-in and then swap to 130gr MK's for serious paper work.
<br>
<br>I'm hoping this rifle will dazzle me,in typical 7-08 fashion. I've very high hopes. Gotta LOVE the 7-08!.........................
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
HR IC

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As a guy that's hooked on the .308, and was/is hooked on the 7X57, I can understand. The 7-08 is a modern verison of the old 7X57.
<br> We really don't need anything over 160 grs., and I suspect we really don't need them for much. Therefore the 7-08 is hard not to like.
<br> The only guy I have ever seen out in "my" desert with a target style elevation knob on his scope was shooting a 7-08 Ruger with a match grade SS heavier than normal barrel.. He was an avid iron ram shooter. Told me he was confident to 500 yds. with that rig. I have no doubt he knew what he was talking about. E

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just popped her out of the bedding and installed mag box and follower.
<br>
<br>Time to head to the dungeon and start sizing and prepping cases. I know this baby is really gonna shoot!
<br>
<br>As far as the cartridge itself. I've always found if you have accuracy first,everything else falls into place nicely. With extreme accuracy,placement is easy to control,to an exacting degree. Once you have placement,the Hunt is over.
<br>
<br>If this rifle shoots over 1/4" with MK's,I'll be very disappointed.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Big Stick. Sounds like you have been reading my wish list. For months I have been wanting to build a 7-08 to copy Remingtons LTR. I am still waiting.
<br>From reading your posts, it sounds like you have found a smith who does good work, and still gives you a good turn around time. I have contacted two repitable smiths, but each had a years turn around time.
<br>Would you mind giving a recomendation? You can do it offline by e-mail if you like. tmoodysgtcollege.org
<br>Hope new project is a shooter. Thanks GB

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
GB,
<br>
<br>I've often contemplated the LTR in 223. The LTR's stock design and the PSS's are pretty good Factory handles. You'd be hard pressed to get more rifle,for the money.
<br>
<br>If I was going to build,it would be with a McMillan stock and a S/S barrel. Everybody rants about having a long barrel for velocity,especially in the 308Win. I hate them. If I'm going to tote a 26" tube,it's going to be chambered in a cartridge that has the MOJO. I've got a fabulously accurate S/S 308,with a 26" fluted barrel. I think it is an abortion. I seldom shoot it,because it is unwieldy in comparison to other rifles I've twisted up. The 26's sole advantage,is staying Supersonic further. If I'm contemplating shots to 800yds and beyond,I have MUCH better tools for the job. None of them,are 308Wins.(grin)
<br>
<br>So I very much like a chubby,shortish barrel,for portability,balance and accuracy. The 7-08 thrives in such a package. Sure it will go faster with a 28" tube,but that doesn't radically alter it's effectiveness. I've got 7-08's with 14"(XP),20",22" and 24" tubes. I can do whatever I want,with the 20-24's. The pistol is hamstrung,because I'm not nearly as good with a pistol,as I am a rifle. It still has several one-shot kills,at over 300yds behind it,even with my meager abilities. Everything I've ever pointed it at,hit the dirt.
<br>
<br>What I'm saying is,I really dig the LTR type concept. That's why I'm going to have this 22" 7-08 punched out to Ackley and fluted......................
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
PS,I shot you an Email................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Epic’er’er

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess he use to be somewhat human back then huh? What a difference 17 years and 3000 bottles of Beam make!!!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Free rent.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Free rent.

You wish as you obviously can’t make ends meet. 😎👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🍆

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
He traded in that 7-08 for a Henry long Ranger in 25-06.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,162
Posts18,503,015
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.