Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
Borka works well!

This !

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Good grief you guys, the internet is at it again. Next thing we know only NASA certified, Space Shuttle approved torque wrenches can touch our scope screws. Any wrench costing less than $500 will be plumb unworthy.........

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63881.html

And before anybody says it, my mechanic--a Snap-On slut if there ever was one--has a Snap-On torque meter that can be used with a regular wrench--it's the same tool the tool truck driver uses to check torque wrenches. On a whim he bought a Harbor Freight 3/8" torque wrench and it agreed with the Snap-On tool. So he bought the 1/4" and 1/2", and they both agreed also.

All we need is to get the screws tight enough to hold the scope/mounts in place and the screw torque half-way consistent.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I took a tip from Dennisinaz a while back and bought the one Vortex sells. Its a damn fine tool for gun stuff, RJ

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use a Whia Torque Vario and it works very well. Fix it sticks are also great and very packable.

https://www.wihatools.com/adjustabl...P8Lbi5QIV2v_jBx09LQunEAQYASABEgIB2_D_BwE

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Good grief you guys, the internet is at it again. Next thing we know only NASA certified, Space Shuttle approved torque wrenches can touch our scope screws. Any wrench costing less than $500 will be plumb unworthy.........

https://www.harborfreight.com/14-in-drive-click-type-torque-wrench-63881.html

And before anybody says it, my mechanic--a Snap-On slut if there ever was one--has a Snap-On torque meter that can be used with a regular wrench--it's the same tool the tool truck driver uses to check torque wrenches. On a whim he bought a Harbor Freight 3/8" torque wrench and it agreed with the Snap-On tool. So he bought the 1/4" and 1/2", and they both agreed also.

All we need is to get the screws tight enough to hold the scope/mounts in place and the screw torque half-way consistent.........

Thanks for saying what I always think when I see these threads.

It's a friggin set of scope rings, not a nuke submarine. A $500 torque wrench isn't needed. I've used several of the Harbor Freight torque wrenches and they have all tested out plenty close for what we're needing them for. If it's off by 10% then that's still going to be fine and a boatload closer to where it's supposed to be than the farmer tight method most are used to.

Sometimes good enough really is good enough. You don't need to take out a second mortgage to get a torque wrench plenty good enough to install scope mounts.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatanchor

😂😂😂The wheeler does a good job for the money, I use my torque wrench’s at work all the time so it’s worth it to me to buy Snap-On, MAC and Utica some clicker and digital...........a deflecting beam type torque wrench is like going back to the horse and buggy ‼️

Stay away from Lowe’s, Home Depot and Harbor Freight brands and you will probably be OK

They may be old fashioned but in the less expensive torque wrenches they can be trusted.

Honestly I have never torqued mounts nor action screws but decided in the last week I might as well buy one and see just how tight I have been getting those.....

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
None of my torque wrenches cost any where near $500 and none of them were made China.

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kingston
None of my torque wrenches cost any where near $500 and none of them were made China.

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

I use a CDI as well. It’s worth the extra money. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

I use a CDI as well. It’s worth the extra money. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks, which was $300 less than Swarovski charged me to replace a tube my father crushed on a scope he borrowed. Said it was just “hand tight”. Guess what he got for Christmas

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TxHunter80

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

I use a CDI as well. It’s worth the extra money. I think it was a little over a hundred bucks, which was $300 less than Swarovski charged me to replace a tube my father crushed on a scope he borrowed. Said it was just “hand tight”. Guess what he got for Christmas

Hopefully a Harbor Freight torque wrench.........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Fugk Harbor Freight.

MAGA

Ironically, I'm one of the first guys to biotch about Chinese crap. My 3/8" and 1/2" torque wrenches are USA Craftsman. But my Wheeler FAT wrench is apparently made in China if the inspectors initials on the "certification" tag is any indication.......

Still, torquing scope screws is not the same as assembling a satellite.

It's the obsessive-compulsive behavior the internet creates that cracks me up.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
"Everyone should do it the same way I do it."

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I have a CDI for the motorcycle but for the scope rings, loady loady no....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
RandyR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
15 to 18 lbs is the range needed for rings correct?

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Someone stayed up very late putting this together. (Smiley face)

Originally Posted by anonymous guy with really expensive torque wrenches....

Here is a list of a few current manufacturer's specs:
Burris Signature / Zee Ring Tops have a stated 20 inch-pounds for ring top screws (https://www.burrisoptics.com/customer-service/faqs)
Talley LW's call for 17-20in/lb
ARC 65in/lb. (This is unique to the M10's design)
APA TruLoc ring cap torque spec 15in/lb. (I go 22in/lb. on heavy scopes)
Ken Farrell "Suggested tightening torque for ring caps: 20-30 in/lbs. depending on the weight of the scope and caliber of the gun. Average is 25 inch lbs."
SPUHR recommends 15-25 in/lbs.
Nightforce Ultralight Ring top screws - 25 inch pounds
Seekins ring caps call for 20in/lb
Badger side steps publishing an exact spec for ring cap screws by stating "holding the short end of the T-15 wrench tighten about as tight as you can get it".
Warne Mountain Tech scope cap screws are stated at 18 in/lb* max
Warne Maxima Horizontal scope cap screws are also stated at 18 in/lb.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
A $40 Tekton has been working great for me.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RandyR
15 to 18 lbs is the range needed for rings correct?

Warne Maxima rings require 25” pounds and I think Leupold Standards say 24” pounds.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve had a Fat Wrench for around five years and thought I was in high cotton, until a gunsmith who specializes in rebarreling Model 700’s told me the Fat Wrench is worse than not having a torque wrench at all. He belittled me about it in front of a prospective customer waiting for him to get through with me. I told the gunsmith to f***k off and walked out. The icing on the cake for me was the other prospect telling him the same thing and walking out with me. If I ever have to replace my Fat Wrench I’ll probably get a nicer one. But the Fat Wrench has worked fine and won’t be replaced unless it breaks.

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Higbean
Did you find the blue one on Adam&Eve.com?

Originally Posted by Higbean
Did you find the blue one on Adam&Eve.com?

Yea, they gave it to me when I bought your Christmas present last year.

Those are the funniest posts I’ve ever seen on this website.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
You'd really be laughing if you saw the contraption I got for Christmas!

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.