Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I am in charge of finding a buddy of mine a rifle for Christmas (this will be a surprise from his dad). He’s been wanting a 22-250 caliber bolt gun for a while so this is the caliber we will be getting. He’ll also be shooting it suppressed. Rather than buying a rifle and having it threaded I thought I’d find a factory threaded rifle. The problem is that not many rifles are offered in 22-250 that are factory threaded. I ran across the Bergara B-14 Ridge and it does have a threaded barrel. Can anyone give me some insight on the quality/accuracy of these rifles? I’ve heard great things about Bergara but I do not know anyone that has one personally.

Thanks for the help in advance!

[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They are sweet!! Just bought my second Ridge a few days ago, so now have 300WM and 270Win. The 300WM easily shoots under an inch and just got Berger 190gr Hunting VLDs to print a 5 shot 0.3" group. Just got the 270 to the range today for break in and with the cheap Winchester 130 gr loads it was shooting and inch through the process. The triggers are good, the 270 trigger is noticeably lighter than the 300 and although the manual says 3.3 lbs from the factory I'd put it around 2.5 lbs and no creep. Follow the break in procedure then keep shooting and cleaning and my groups kept getting tighter with each cycle. I have seen a complaint or 2 that they wouldn't shoot MOA, but Bergara took care of those issues although it took some time sending the rifle back and such.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate to buy another...or two!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Awesome! That’s what I wanted to hear!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned three and every one of them has been a real tack driver with excellent triggers. They are one of the better buys for an off-the-shelf rifle now that Tikka prices have escalated to where the Bergaras are priced.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Q
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Just my opinion...

A Remington 700 clone with some nice updates. Parts interchange for the most part but the Bergara has much better QC and they use much better barrels.

Very good guns...if you dont care much for nostalgia you can't do any better until you hit Sako land

GOD Bless America
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If he plans on shooting deer, or really long range and wants to use long heavy bullets, the 8" twist Tikka may be a better option?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
He just wants it for varmints and he’s not into long range stuff. I doubt he’ll be shooting any deer with it either. Mostly coyotes and bobcats.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'd try one if they made a more affordable model in stainless. I really prefer a stainless bore at least.

Bb

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My experience with them isn't good but customer service took care of me twice. I can say they have a great customer service department. I bought a woodsman and new in the box my bolt was missing the extractor. I sent it in to have that installed. Accuracy was hit or miss, ended up sending the rifle back for accuracy problems and they replaced the barrel. After all the work it finally shoots MOA. It sits in the safe, the rifle stock is what I call beefy and I find myself carrying my Tikka rifles 90% of the time.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Mine is match accurate with factory stuff, and has no idea it’s not stainless. wink

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bergara has made quality barrels for a long time. I don't know who makes their action or if its of their design but all the information I'm getting is that these are excellent rifles.

They are almost as good as my Tikkas...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a B-14 Hunter in 30-06. It is what a Remington 700 should be. It is very accurate and sturdy, built on a Remington 700 "footprint" but with improvements, like a bolt stop in the receiver. The trigger was very good out of the box. My rifle came with a hinged floorplate magazine which would not feed ammo reliably. Bergara offered to fix it, but I bought the detachable box magazine kit from Bergara and that cured the problem.

If I didn't already own too many rifles I would buy another.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you for all the input! I’m definitely leaning towards the Bergara now.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
And if the trigger doesn't adjust down light enough for him, many aftermarket triggers will fit. For what you describe his use will be, the Bergara will suit him really fine! I grew up in Liberty Co, so I know the varmints he has. One summer, I borrowed a friends Ruger #1 Varmint model in 22-250 to shoot called in crows. ( This in the mid 80s) It had an old cheap 4x12x40AO Bushnell on it, but it was accurate! He had worked on the trigger all he could, so it was a pain, but worked fine if you really concentrated, ha. Point being...that 22-250 with 50-55 gr varmint bullets is flat and really makes the feathers fly! ha Now, they tell me, crows are protected. Bummer. Good luck to you and your friend!

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Haha! That sounds like a lot of fun! I appreciate it.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a Ridge in 22-250 this past spring and it is now my favorite 22-250 rifle. 4 others now sit most of the time...

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
great rifles. I sell the crap out of them at Sportsman's Warehouse. People come back with very positive reviews!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just finished up the break-in on the Ridge in 270 and it's down to 0.65" and getting better with each shoot and clean cycle. I burned up some old Winchester 130gr factory ammo to do most of the break-in and wasn't worried about the accuracy instead focusing on just following the recommended shoot and clean procedure from Bergara. Last 20 rounds were handloads and it likes to throw them fast...groups got tighter with increasing powder charge. The trigger has also gotten lighter. Factory says 3 lbs, I don't have a trigger scale but has to be under 2 lbs.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I’ve got a B14 Hunter in .270WIN that like others have stated is getting better every time I take it out. I have a pretty much brand new Sauer 100 in 7 mag I need to rehome because I want something threaded and it will be replaced by a Bergara Ridge still in 7 mag. The Sauer is a shooter in the less than 10 rounds I’ve put through it but I want a threaded barrel. The profile of the barrel is a sporter and I’d have to cut it back a little to get enough material to thread it. Rather than go through that I’d just as soon off load it to someone for a good deal and pick up a Ridge.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I think the Tikka would be a better choice in a 1-8
Twist. He could shoot the 62 Barnes, kill pigs or deer if he wanted. It’s not much to get a barrel threaded, plus it’s stainless.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10Glocks, 280shooter, 14 invisible), 1,647 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,998
Posts18,481,175
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.