Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Watching a story about hunting in Africa and it reminded me of the times I have sat in a blind, burning dried out dung. Did not seem to matter what animal dung was burned but never did get "smelled" when using it. Thought of trying it here but the problem is it has to be thoroughly dried to work and that is hard to find around here. Got a Wood smoke scented candle for my birthday and wondering if anyone had tried burning them in a blind or shoot house and what the result might be.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Better to smell like nothing.

Any scent not around when it should be or where it should be, spooks the hell out of animals.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
We burned Cape buffalo dung in Africa as a cover scent. Did it work, who knows. We killed a number of animals but may have done so without the smoke.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
No matter how much we clean ourselves, the animal's sense of smell is so superior, the best one can hope for is to minimize the odor. Masking is a tool, but in my opinion, wind and your own movement are more critical.

If YOU can smell it, you can be sure the animals do too.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dess
No matter how much we clean ourselves, the animal's sense of smell is so superior, the best one can hope for is to minimize the odor. Masking is a tool, but in my opinion, wind and your own movement are more critical.

I mostly agree with that.

For the most part, a "masking scent" is only fooling those rooked into buying into it.

To get into the the right thinking on that...

When a human walks into McDonalds, they smell hamburgers, fries, and coffee.

When a wild animal walks into McDonalds, they smell beef, lettuce, onions, sesame seeds, potatoes, mayo and can differentiate between each human based on individual scent of each one, and tell what that person has been doing the past 24 hours, and who they were doing it with.

It's pretty hard to fool an animal's nose.

About the only way to do so is by correctly hunting the wind.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the thoughts from those who have not tried it but I was actually looking for info from anyone who had actual knowledge from using it. One person said they used and killed animals but did not know if it worked. He did not have anything bad to say but his input is valuable because he actually has used it. That is the type info I am looking for. And no, I am not looking for something that would allow me to be direct downwind of deer 20 yards away and not have them smell me. Just wondering if it appeared to help mask scent in South Africa, would it help here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing to stop you from drying out some "local" dung and trying that if it's hard to find dry stuff as you say.

Good luck with it if you do try it.

Was it possibly burned when you were in a blind in Africa to help keep the bugs away and not for scent hiding capabilities?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Dess

I mostly agree with that.

For the most part, a "masking scent" is only fooling those rooked into buying into it.

To get into the the right thinking on that...

When a human walks into McDonalds, they smell hamburgers, fries, and coffee.

When a wild animal walks into McDonalds, they smell beef, lettuce, onions, sesame seeds, potatoes, mayo and can differentiate between each human based on individual scent of each one, and tell what that person has been doing the past 24 hours, and who they were doing it with.

It's pretty hard to fool an animal's nose.

About the only way to do so is by correctly hunting the wind.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why dry dung when you can buy it dried?

Do they work? I'm not gonna be the first in my group to try them. laugh If nothing else I guess you could use them to light your firecrackers. Best part of the video was when the guy said it attracted about 40 mockingbirds. But I'm not sure if it was mocking birds or birds mocking.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My grandfather smoked Hand rolled and carried pine knots to
burn when he got cold. Killed a lot of deer like that. Year round, feeding
a family of five. But, just like people, deer were dumb back then!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just to clarify, I do not think this will be some magic scent that will allow deer to walk directly downwind, 2 feet away and not smell me. Just as I believe most camo is WAY overrated, I do not go hunting in white shirts and bright yellow pants either. I think appropriate clothes (when it is not cold I wear old black or blue jeans and do perfectly well) like camo shirts or others with a broken pattern in a dull color "help" in making it just a little harder for deer to pick me out. Wondering if scent of smoke might do the same for masking my scent. Not all of it, not direct downwind, but just a tiny bit to "help" keep deer from detecting me as quickly. Many times, just a few seconds can make the difference. Candle I got was a gift, so it is going to cost me nothing to try. Will be doing so tomorrow afternoon, just for chits and giggles. Besides, it is going to be bloody cold tomorrow and even the little heat from a candle will be welcome under my chair.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Valsdad, I was told it was to help mask scent and it was always placed just downwind of me. Did help with insects some though. Of course we are not worried about the little buggers now. Supposed to be 18 in the morning.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
The only way not to have a sent is to be down wind of the deer.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Why dry dung when you can buy it dried?

Do they work? I'm not gonna be the first in my group to try them. laugh If nothing else I guess you could use them to light your firecrackers. Best part of the video was when the guy said it attracted about 40 mockingbirds. But I'm not sure if it was mocking birds or birds mocking.

"Birds taking a hit off of Tink's Smoke Stick"

LOL

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I burn dried cow cshit in my deer blind, they never smell me.

They won’t let me in the cook shack.

Last edited by hanco; 11/13/19.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Honey burns work wonders on black bears...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My uncle cut down trees in northern Wisconsin, he and a buddy bought a small travel trailer to save on travel time. More likely a place to land away from the wife after closing the bars. Anyway they both smoked like chimneys and the butts got thrown out the window. Deer would come up to the trailer to eat the buts. So the cigarette brand du jour became the cover scent. Seemed to work too. But then when Frank would return to town after a week he smelled sorta like burning poop until he got hosed down.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by travelingman1
Just to clarify, I do not think this will be some magic scent that will allow deer to walk directly downwind, 2 feet away and not smell me. Just as I believe most camo is WAY overrated, I do not go hunting in white shirts and bright yellow pants either. I think appropriate clothes (when it is not cold I wear old black or blue jeans and do perfectly well) like camo shirts or others with a broken pattern in a dull color "help" in making it just a little harder for deer to pick me out. Wondering if scent of smoke might do the same for masking my scent. Not all of it, not direct downwind, but just a tiny bit to "help" keep deer from detecting me as quickly. Many times, just a few seconds can make the difference. Candle I got was a gift, so it is going to cost me nothing to try. Will be doing so tomorrow afternoon, just for chits and giggles. Besides, it is going to be bloody cold tomorrow and even the little heat from a candle will be welcome under my chair.

The only way a deer will smell you OR the candle is if they ARE “directly downwind” or cross your path to the stand.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IIf I get a candle for my birthday, someone's gettin kicked in the nuts.

Unless it's planted into an ice cream cake.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since this topic is already off the rails, I'll offer my .02.

When I bowhunted elk, rather seriously, I tried the strongest urine cover scents I could and found that on average, based on my many years of swirling mountain wind and blown stalks, the judicious use of cover scent applied liberally and often to my clothing (yeah, it sucked riding in the truck later) gained me another 1-2 seconds when a bull elk went downwind and caught my scent before he completely lost his mind with terror and left for the adjacent state.

Candles? No clue, fire season in the west every fall would preclude their use. But I hope it works out for you and look forward to a report.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 66 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.