Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't know this;

Glass that shows an amethist tint is pre 1917. Thats when the US entered WW1, and could no longer obtain German maganese dioxide, which was used as a decolorizing agent, reducing the greenish tint caused by iron impurities.

The manganese tends to impart a purplish hue to the glass after long exposure to sunlight.

As a substitute, the US bought selenium from Canada, and its use was preferred thereafter.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What prompted you to find that? You a glass collector?

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
What prompted you to find that? You a glass collector?

No I do not collect glass. I thought it interesting as a way to date glass though.

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The stuff one learns here.

Thanks

FJB & FJT
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some of those old glass insulators people collect are like that.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by poboy
Some of those old glass insulators people collect are like that.

Yes sir. A guy might be able to date an old cabin found in the woods also.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago, I found a bottle in a slough in the creek bottom. It's about the size of a 7 oz. coke bottle, but smooth sided with bubbles in the glass. On the bottom is Junction City Bottling Co. and Junction City, Ark. After online researching, I concluded the bottle was made in the early 1900's, but no later than about 1920. I contacted the city hall in Junction City and asked them if they had any record of a bottling company. The lady said she didn't know, but gave me a name/number of a fellow that might could help me. I contacted him and found out the he also had a similar bottle and he knew of one other. This man said he had done pretty extensive research and I was correct on the dating of the bottle. He also said he had contacted several collectors in the area and none of them had a bottle like these. We discussed the bubbles in the glass and he said that these could be rejects, but as far as he could find out, no other samples of these bottles existed. Being a reject could well explain why I found my bottle 8-10 miles down the creek from Junction City. He said he found his near the creek just outside Junction City and the other fellow found his while tearing down an old building in the same area.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
found a gw merchant bottle in a cow pasture partly full of water on day on the job. worth over a $100 to collectors. how it survived cows and freezing is a mystery.

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I dug up some early 1900 whiskey bottles on a job in Jacksonville Oregon. Very historic mining town in southern Oregon. I also got some purple glass off another job. Owning an excavator opens up all kinds of possibilities.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Changing the subject a little...... Working in the Milwaukee area a few years ago and a tree had fallen on a fence that was atop a cinder block wall. It had broken some of the cinder blocks and when inspecting the damage, I found quite a few empty qt. oil cans. The were placed in the hollow spaces of the cinder blocks. There were about 20 that I saw, all empty, all in pristine condition, and most were brands that I had never heard of. I asked if they wanted them and the land owner did.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting. I have a few old bottles that were picked up in areas that were small local dumps in the early 20th century. Plus a couple taken out of the dirt basement of an old 1800's abandoned home out in the sticks. All I really know about them is that they're real old. Perhaps this info will help. Some are colored, some are clear. All I can recall offhand is that one of the clear ones says " SLOAN'S LINIMENT" on it.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Yes and selenium is still used to this day in some glass batches. Another way to "date" glass is by the amount of defects or streaking seen in it. There can be small bubbles or simply a distorted appearance. This glass was made by the draw process which was phased out by the 1970's here stateside and replaced by the float process wherein glass is still produced to this day and is virtually perfect.

Glass is truly a liquid and another way to "date" it is by measuring it's thickness. An old window pane or as it's called in the industry a "lite" will be thicker at the bottom than at the top due to gravity. It takes a long time for the glass to run down hill but is a sure sign of old age of any piece of glass that has been vertical for decades....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
An old window pane or as it's called in the industry a "lite" will be thicker at the bottom than at the top due to gravity. It takes a long time for the glass to run down hill but is a sure sign of old age of any piece of glass that has been vertical for decades....

same thing happens to women grin

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by watch4bear
An old window pane or as it's called in the industry a "lite" will be thicker at the bottom than at the top due to gravity. It takes a long time for the glass to run down hill but is a sure sign of old age of any piece of glass that has been vertical for decades....

same thing happens to women grin

I did not know the former, but have noticed the latter.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Years ago, I found a bottle in a slough in the creek bottom. It's about the size of a 7 oz. coke bottle, but smooth sided with bubbles in the glass. On the bottom is Junction City Bottling Co. and Junction City, Ark. After online researching, I concluded the bottle was made in the early 1900's, but no later than about 1920. I contacted the city hall in Junction City and asked them if they had any record of a bottling company. The lady said she didn't know, but gave me a name/number of a fellow that might could help me. I contacted him and found out the he also had a similar bottle and he knew of one other. This man said he had done pretty extensive research and I was correct on the dating of the bottle. He also said he had contacted several collectors in the area and none of them had a bottle like these. We discussed the bubbles in the glass and he said that these could be rejects, but as far as he could find out, no other samples of these bottles existed. Being a reject could well explain why I found my bottle 8-10 miles down the creek from Junction City. He said he found his near the creek just outside Junction City and the other fellow found his while tearing down an old building in the same area.

I found an old Coke bottle buried in sand on a ranch one day.

Sold that bottle to a guy that dealt and collected old west memorabilia for $150...

He was not happy to pay that, but he did. Made me grin.. He was a friend, and I knew if he paid that, it must be worth more than that. But I got my asking price. grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FatCity67

The calculation showed that if a plate of glass a meter tall and a centimeter thick was placed in an upright position at room temperature, the time required for the glass to flow down so as to thicken 10 angstrom units at the bottom (a change the size of only a few atoms) would theoretically be about the same as the age of the universe: close to ten billion years.

MOLON LABE

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I find a lot old purple necks in the farm fields.

Every once in a while, find a whole one

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
Originally Posted by FatCity67

The calculation showed that if a plate of glass a meter tall and a centimeter thick was placed in an upright position at room temperature, the time required for the glass to flow down so as to thicken 10 angstrom units at the bottom (a change the size of only a few atoms) would theoretically be about the same as the age of the universe: close to ten billion years.

Covfefe

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
pre 1917. Everyone who drank from that bottle is dead.

MOLON LABE

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 62 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.