Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
SCOTUS heard oral arguments today in the case of Trump discontinuing DACA. DACA is a popular, but extra-legal policy cooked up and put in place by Obama, with no regard for due process. It allows illegal immigrant children to be here without fear of deportation, and it allows them access to work permits.

Reading the questions asked, it appears that SCOTUS is going to agree that Trump was within his constitutional powers in ending the program, and his decision is not subject to judicial review.

One interesting question is, what will Trump ask Congress to do to replace it?

Another is, will they define a whole set of Executive actions not subject to judicial review? At least a couple of Justices has publicly spoken against the notion that a federal judge anywhere in the system can issue an injunction against an Executive decision.

Last edited by denton; 11/12/19.

Be not weary in well doing.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winning!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We'll see; that gun ought not be jumped.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obviously two edge sword.

What are the limits of Executive Action is my concern.

As much as we like Trump he isn't always gonna be in office.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by denton
SCOTUS heard oral arguments today in the case of Trump discontinuing DACA. DACA is a popular, but extra-legal policy cooked up and put in place by Obama, with no regard for due process. It allows illegal immigrant children to be here without fear of deportation, and it allows them access to work permits.

Reading the questions asked, it appears that SCOTUS is going to agree that Trump was within his constitutional powers in ending the program, and his decision is not subject to judicial review.

Another is, will they define a whole set of Executive actions not subject to judicial review? At least a couple of Justices has publicly spoken against the notion that a federal judge anywhere in the system can issue an injunction against an Executive decision.

Trump doesn't have to ask congress for anything.

DACA was an administrative action by one president that can be ended by another.

There was no legislation involved from the onset.

Just end it, and start the deportations.

Don't replace it with jack chit.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I agree. But trying to get these idiots in the House and Senate to pass anything besides a huge, pork ridden budget is futile.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
One interesting question is...

From which Justice, I wonder?

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
if he could use some modified (read more restricted) form of DACA to get a new immigration bill that we would find acceptable, it would be worth it. Of course that will never happen with a Democrat house focused on impeachment. And once impeachment fails, we won't need them. We may need to replace a few Republicans however.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by FatCity67

I agree. But trying to get these idiots in the House and Senate to pass anything besides a huge, pork ridden budget is futile.

Can't disagree with that.

In reality Constitutional Presidential Power has actually expanded from Washingtons time.

Congressional Critters have seceded at lot of that power for obvious reasons.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
DACA was intended to raise up an estimated 800,000 predominantly Democrat voters.

That said, they were illegally brought to this country before they were old enough to have a voice in the matter, and have little to no connection to their home countries or language. So I think we have to do something that is compassionate and reasonable. I just strongly object to Obama making that rule all by himself, without action by Congress.

If they are behaving, and becoming good members of society, I'd say let them stay and work. But vote? Nope. Commit a crime? Off you go.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

trump should ask congress to define illegal.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The t.v. said the Court ruling won't happen until June or so.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
D
denton Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
The t.v. said the Court ruling won't happen until June or so.

Yes, that is true. At this point, all we can do is surmise what is going on based on the questions asked.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
DACA was intended to raise up an estimated 800,000 predominantly Democrat voters.

That said, they were illegally brought to this country before they were old enough to have a voice in the matter, and have little to no connection to their home countries or language. So I think we have to do something that is compassionate and reasonable. I just strongly object to Obama making that rule all by himself, without action by Congress.

If they are behaving, and becoming good members of society, I'd say let them stay and work. But vote? Nope. Commit a crime? Off you go.

I believe Rush has not-infrequently suggested they can stay, but can't vote for 25 years. I've not heard the counterargument... wink

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
We'll see; that gun ought not be jumped.

for sure

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DACA was an administrative action by one president that can be ended by another.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And there never should have even been a question that one executive order couldn't be replaced with another executive order.

Maybe logic will finally prevail, I hope, anyway.

MM

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

I believe Rush has not-infrequently suggested they can stay, but can't vote for 25 years. I've not heard the counterargument... wink

FC

Can't vote for 25 years?????

WTF??

They can vote when they become citizens, and not before!

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Hard for me to see that happening.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J

Zero was too gutless to make it more than a memo. An executive order is subject to congressional review. The pos Zero issued a pos memo.

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/12/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Denton

I'll be interested to see how the liberal justices view the issue of executive orders, and if they try to make a distinction regarding DACA..

The issue regarding nationwide injunctions goes beyond executive orders. Justice Thomas has been quite outspoken regarding his dislike of the growing practice of District Court judges issuing injunctions that go beyond their jurisdictional boundaries.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 270cowboy, 219 Wasp, 25aught6, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 13,867 guests, and 1,565 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,054
Posts18,540,900
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
Yesterday at 07:15 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.