Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

May be building a house. What’s the pro con of metal roofs?
Will be in an area that gets some hail ( Minnesota)
How noisy are they when it rains?

NRA Patron

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have had metal roof on our house for over 20 years now. We love it. No more worries about ice dams, snow just slides right off. We were a little worried the snow sliding off might damage our gutters, but hasn't happened. It has been hailed on with no damage. Raindrops falling on our roof dont keep us awake. Now, we would not own a house with anything but a metal roof. We live in the mountainous area of Wyoming.

[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How noisy are they when it rains?

best nights sleep you'll ever have.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot better fire protection.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My metal roof put on in 1996 was a good decision. It has been through several hail storms and about 50 inches of rain every year. Still in good shape. Get 26 gauge if you think 29 isn't stout enough. Mine is silver colored and was called Galvalume I think. The reflective quality took a big load off the air conditioner. If you are decently insulated I don't think the noise will be an issue.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Metal roofs are the way to go but they can be spendy, we were quoted $25k to put one on our house so we went with asphalt shingles instead. We do have a metal roof on our remote cabin, shop and outhouse and should we build anything else down the road, it will get a metal roof as well.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
There are no cons, besides the initial price that is.

It's all good, very, very good.

Something clever here.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We had a metal roof installed in about 2007, I think. It was put on over the shingles. There may have been some wood strips on top of the shingles but I don't remember for sure.

You can barely hear rain falling on it unless it's a downpour. Even then it's not loud. Had a hailstorm about 10 years ago up to over 2". Did not cause any leaks. Some dents, mostly in the trim along the edges. A lot of the dents disappeared after being in the hot sun. That hail would have destroyed a shingle roof. I'd do it again in a flash. Beats getting shingles blown off like we had before too. The color has faded some but that is to be expected. My metal barns have too even being a light color.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great roof to have on your home. As said earlier, snow slides off and no ice dams. We foamed ours in for insulation and it quiets it down a lot, but I love to hear the rain on it. We have had ours for 7 years and are doing another house with a metal roof next Spring.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We put one on here about 5 years ago. One of those that’s installed right over the existing shingles. As advertised, it saves on heating and cooling.
Only downside to my mind is that with a steep pitch, the snow comes off pretty quickly, even with snowbirds. Kinda a bitch to shovel out the sidewalk and deck, only to have 2 feet come off the roof and really pack itself in there! grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As well as come down on the unsuspecting head of some older lady standing at the door.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As well as come down on the unsuspecting head of some older lady standing at the door.

A Witness lady?

Avon?

Local Coast Guard Auxiliary?

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

A Witness lady?

Avon?

Local Coast Guard Auxiliary?

Geno

Old gal attempting to enter the library.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not sure how 'much' roof you have.

Me and a bud did this one last month. It was right at 30 squares. 4 valley runs, and 2 chimneys.

Trimmed the edges, laid #30 felt over the shingle and put the screws to it.
Did the bay window too, just didnt take a final pic.

$8500 materials and labor

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The avalanches off mine are epic..... wrong place and wrong time and someone is getting hurt.... snow blocks made it worse... when it tore the snow blocks off and came down it was twice as big

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

It is a wonderful tool for training someone to be aware of their environment! grin
It whizzes me off, cause I’ll get done shoveling and come in and take my boots off, and brappppp - kerthump, it’s knee deed on the sidewalk! mad
Worse yet it comes down late evening and freezes solid till morning.
Like I said though, it’s the only drawback in my mind. We’ve got a 60* roof, maybe more.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The best thing about metal roof-- you most likely only ever have to buy one--

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a steel roof put on the house about four years ago. It went on over an existing shingle roof. Only downside: I was expecting and hoping to be able to hear the rain hitting it, and it's actually pretty well muted so I'm kinda disappointed!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I have a metal roof on a small hunting cabin (14 x 20) and it's been great. Not more than a year after the cabin was built there was a nasty wildfire in the area that burned thousands of acres around my land (all the way to about 100 yards from my cabin). No damage at all from all the flaming stuff flying around, but another property owner about half a mile from me had his cabin burn to the ground (it didn't have a metal roof). My only complaint is the expansion/contraction noises, and that's not much of a complaint.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll be the dissenter.
Built my home and shop in 2007. Shop got metal and home got three tab.

The shingle looks much richer than the metal.
Our good friend and neighbor built a gorgeous home, but his metal roof looks cheap as hell. Regrettable.
It's not maintenance free either, and it's noisy, our shop constantly pops and groans.

Can always tell the metal roofed homes around here, they are the ones with 6 feet of snow on the decks and everywhere else until April.

No free lunch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338Rules, 338reddog, 264magnum, 66 invisible), 2,346 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.