Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Last edited by jaguartx; 11/14/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use Rocky Mountain Broadheads, punch clean through, leave massive blood trails.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My buddy had one bounce off a turkey last spring.....I never cared much for mechanicals anyway. Just one more thing to go wrong.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I bought some Rage when they first came out because of the hype and tested them, quickly sold them to someone else.

The other video compares mid tier heads, pretty much pointless.

Penetration starts with a tuned bow, this sounds elementary but probably 80% of bows in the field are not tuned to the arrow's spine and fly off center so hit off center losing penetration. Second is a good head like a slick trick that will penetrate and cut a big hole.

Kent

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do not believe in so called "Mechanical Broadheads" you loose too much energy trying to deploy them. I like the Slick Tricks I've been using.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I’ve never had a problem with Rages.
I use the hypodermic 100 grain.
I’ve shot about 20 deer with it and blew through all except for 2 and those 2 were big bodied bucks.
Even at that I’ve never lost a deer to a rage.
All have been recovered within 60 yds with the preverbial red carpet trail to them.
I’ve tried slick tricks but the blood trails were miserable about 70% of the time.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
A 2 blade rage won't out penetrate a slick trick, not even close, and has less cutting surface.

I can kill a deer with anything, I could kill an elk with a rage if forced to, but on average they would not go down as fast and more likely to wound rather than kill.

Kent

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've killed probably a dozen or so deer with the rage broadhead. Never a problem. Before that, I was using Thunderheads. Couldn't find replacement blades, so switched. When I started bow hunting in the mid 70s I used Bear razorheads. If I was going to bow hunt game bigger/tougher than whitetail, I'd use something like the Bear.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
no mechanicals for me. Tried them early on and had such mixed results it wasn't good. Took me 8 plus hours to find one buck center lung punched.

Fixed heads work so well. COC heads penetrate even better.

Nothing broken. No need to fix. Think Sharpsman had a thread on a long run deer with a rage of his sons a while back that I didn't get to comment on...

I'll even go further out on a limb, lots of COC heads need sharpening. If you are to lazy or don't know how then maybe bow isn't for you. Dang I"m getting old. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by acy
I've killed probably a dozen or so deer with the rage broadhead. Never a problem. Before that, I was using Thunderheads. Couldn't find replacement blades, so switched. When I started bow hunting in the mid 70s I used Bear razorheads. If I was going to bow hunt game bigger/tougher than whitetail, I'd use something like the Bear.

Not sure where bear is now, but old ones were too soft and tips curled on bones. We swapped to Zwickey right quick in those years and can't recall an issue with them. I"ve seen tips snap on hard rocks or such but not on deer bones.

Slick Trick makes a replaceable head with COC blades thats worked REALLy well the times I"ve used it. One arrow went so far though we never could find the arrow back...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mechanicals are illegal in Idaho.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Never had a problem with the 100gr. Muzzy 3-blade! Every deer has been a complete pass thru with an easy blood trail to follow. Can't see spending $15 a head for the new fangled mechanicals!

I'll stick to what I know works!

Elk Country

"I refuse to waste my common sense on those who have been educated beyond their intelligence"

All you need to know about Democrats is they call American citizens "Deplorables" and illegal immigrants "Dreamers"!
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Tom264
I’ve never had a problem with Rages.
I use the hypodermic 100 grain.
I’ve shot about 20 deer with it and blew through all except for 2 and those 2 were big bodied bucks.
Even at that I’ve never lost a deer to a rage.
All have been recovered within 60 yds with the preverbial red carpet trail to them.
I’ve tried slick tricks but the blood trails were miserable about 70% of the time.

Have you hit a big buck or bull in the shoulder with them? A slick trick or muzzy or Rocky M R will penetrate through and through.
I admit to watching hunting shows on TV at times and on several occasions have seen expendables fail to give good penetration and a few animals lost or not found in time to eat. I expect they would be fine on broadside rib shots.

I have seen 2 cases where the arrow was on perfect course toward a deer when the expandable caught a stem of high grass or such and did a sudden nose dive.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Mechanicals are illegal in Idaho.

Good.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by acy

Not sure where bear is now, but old ones were too soft and tips curled on bones. We swapped to Zwickey right quick in those years and can't recall an issue with them. I"ve seen tips snap on hard rocks or such but not on deer bones.

Slick Trick makes a replaceable head with COC blades thats worked REALLy well the times I"ve used it. One arrow went so far though we never could find the arrow back...

Jeff, come to think of it, I never found the arrow of the first bull I shot. Thanks for your post, for it reminded me of something I otherwise would never have remembered to think about again.

I did use some small bladed Rocket expandables and flew one through a herd bull short ribs and liver but quit them after passing on a small 4x4 in a low marshy draw where the 3-4 ft tall pale purple flowers were real thick between me and he when I figured the arrow would never make it to the bull.

Take care up there, Mr.

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I can't tell for sure in the video, but it looks to me like heavy bone was hit. A few inches back and probably would've been a different out come.

As far as the mech. failure vs. fixed failure discussion, it's not hard to find plenty of stories of failed broadheads in both camps. Seems that if a guy hunts long enough he's going to see some crazy things that will make him scratch his head. BUT in most cases, shot placement is as much or more to blame then the actual broadhead used.

I've shot my last three mule deer with mech. and have actually been amazed at the penetration I've gotten. Not sure I am ready to hunt larger critters with them yet, but if it was all I had, I'd hunt and just be picky about my shots and be very sure about my shot placement.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"A slick trick or muzzy or Rocky M R will penetrate through and through."

My only experience is with the Muzzy and the Slick Trick but I prefer the Slick Trick because it has 4 thick 1 1/18" tall blades that don't bend when they hit bone. They also shoot just like target arrows in my crossbow so it makes sighting in easier.

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I can't tell for sure in the video, but it looks to me like heavy bone was hit. A few inches back and probably would've been a different out come.

As far as the mech. failure vs. fixed failure discussion, it's not hard to find plenty of stories of failed broadheads in both camps. Seems that if a guy hunts long enough he's going to see some crazy things that will make him scratch his head. BUT in most cases, shot placement is as much or more to blame then the actual broadhead used.

I've shot my last three mule deer with mech. and have actually been amazed at the penetration I've gotten. Not sure I am ready to hunt larger critters with them yet, but if it was all I had, I'd hunt and just be picky about my shots and be very sure about my shot placement.

Good shooting is a must, which we all agree on. Some things, such as unanticipated animal movement or thin stems or vines blending in to the animals side in reduced light are beyond our control.
My 90 gr old muzzy 4 blade penetrated the breast bone of a black bear standing up and warning me away. It was a complete pass through exiting the back through ribs and back strap and stick into the steep hill behind it.

The first bear I ever shot turned and hauled ass angling away as I swung past and let fly. The RMR went in through the front edge of a rear ham and angled forward through the guts, stomach, liver, lungs, heart and stuck 8 inches out the far side of the off side shoulder blade. It made it about 30 yards before piling up and giving the death bellow.

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Rage heads will prematurely open in flight. I suspect that's what happened in the vid.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, BamaCKC, 300_savage, AussieGunWriter, 9 invisible), 1,194 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,229
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.