Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We have the nature conservancy here, what a cluster f~ck of governmental proportions, they buy farm land, and immediately take it off the tax rolls so the rest of us have to make those losses up, then its the destruction of all of the buildings, including 100 year old barns that are homes to thousands of bats, it the scorched earth method of land ownership, all pond dikes are breached, the fish, frogs and turtles are left to die and rot and the lands are left to regenerate what ever grows there. Its quite repulsive to anyone who understands proper land usage.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Tomorrow at ten. Anyone have $1,600,000 you don't know what to do with? laugh

Whatcha get for that, about 90 acres?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Farm land anywhere will go for what it's worth for it's growing potential. That is until some large operations have too much money and need a safe place to hide it. That screws it up for us younger independent guys trying to grow.
Different area and different crops, but our farm land goes for $30,000-$38,000 an acre. This is land that designated by our county for AG only. This keeps developers out of the picture.
It's very painful to grow an operation!

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RUM7
Farm land anywhere will go for what it's worth for it's growing potential. That is until some large operations have too much money and need a safe place to hide it. That screws it up for us younger independent guys trying to grow...

Excellent assessment.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RUM7
Farm land anywhere will go for what it's worth for it's growing potential. That is until some large operations have too much money and need a safe place to hide it. That screws it up for us younger independent guys trying to grow.
Different area and different crops, but our farm land goes for $30,000-$38,000 an acre. This is land that designated by our county for AG only. This keeps developers out of the picture.
It's very painful to grow an operation!

I don’t see how growing anything other than maybe cocaine could debt service $38k an acre. That’s just insane

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Back from the auction. It sold as two 80's. The west brought $10,600, the east side $9,600.

I bid both up to $8,700. It hurts when your banker beats on you with his shoes! laugh

You folks can put your checkbooks away now!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depending on where it's at in Iowa , that price is down quite a bit from 2013,through 2015. Good farm land where I live, and it's all good farmland in our area , will go for around $10,000 an acre here now,. Some a little under and some a little higher. At it's peak it was at $14,000 an acre and no shortage of interest. All bought as farm land .
The local banks will finance about 50% The older guys that own outright a lot of ground just look at is as averaging it out with the rest of their ground and gives their kids more land to farm after they are gone. Lot's of this land was bought for $300 to $400 an acre back in the 60's and 70's

Bp

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Holy smokes, I'm looking at 100 acres across the road, and thinking the 6K per acre they want is insane.... Two cuttings of hay aren't going to cover that mortgage!

At those California prices, you'd almost have to go full year round production in a greenhouse for something like table tomatoes -- you can do almost 250K lbs of tomatoes per acre per year...... Sounds like a lot of work, and only between 500K and 1MM per acre additional investment in greenhouses.

This farming thing is getting expensive!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Richard, when you wake up tomorrow, I think that you will give a sigh of relief. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The thing about farming today is that it is extremely hard to say what is and what isn't the answer to long term, not short term, success. Here in my part of the world, tobacco has always been the big cash crop, the one that paid for most everything that grain and livestock could not. It's still pretty much that way. If you're a tobacco grower and have some good contracts, you're making money, and can afford to some degree the volatile situation in the grain market. If you're strictly a grain farmer, you damn well better be a good businessman, or else you're apt to go under. The livestock market has been flat the past few years as well, and most cattle operations are break even propositions, unless they're in a niche market.

Then there is USDA. Most farmers I know will say that they wish the government would get out of farming, but when there is a disaster of sorts, and USDA is handing out money, they're the first in line with their hand held out. I've dealt with them for over 40 years, and consider them a necessary evil. They are not going to get their hands out of agriculture, because a good cheap supply of food is what they are after.....not just for the free food market either, but for the consumer that pays for their food out of their paycheck.

I can't speak for farmers in any other part of the country, but here in my part of Kentucky if you take the Mennonite equation out of it, it is the farmers with the most equity who usually buy land, not some beginning farmer. Those days are pretty much gone, as land prices are just too high, and it's not just land, it's equipment and the input costs as well. It would be extremely hard for some young guy to start out without having someone to help him.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Almonds @ $3.00 a pound @ 2500-3200 pounds per acre.
25-30 year turnover on orchards. About $7500-$10,000 per acre to re-develop. (Extrapolated over 28 yrs)
Not including yearly operation costs.

- Wabi-
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
one or two good marijuana plants per acre will bring in a bit more than an acre of pulpwood on good soil.

but, back to the subject at hand: lot's of the price is now associated with land being a real asset while money is steadily depreciating, imho.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
I don’t think some of you people don’t realize the expense involved with crops. Gross sales don’t mean anything. But on the other hand my wife and I just got a check from the government on the farm. It’s was an awesome 152.00 . Yes I did cash it. Lol ed k

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Only two things are for sure:
Nothing's cheap and nothing's guaranteed.

- Wabi-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I remember giving $450 an acre for a farm and worrying myself half sick as to whether or not I could pay for it by farming it, but I did. I cannot imagine giving $10,000 or more an acre and having to pay for it by farming it. It would be extremely hard to do.

You can't. Simple as that, not with conventional commodity crops.

Now, maybe Hemp or some niche crop. Not sure about that. I'd have problems sleeping at night if I had that much in a piece of land, planning to live out of the proceeds, pay for equipment and service the note...

Not me...

DF

Corn 190/bu average at $3.75/bu = $712/acre revenue for summer crop.

Im not sure about Iowa, but here we winter crop. I have barley in now.

Barley 58/bu average at $5/bu = $290/acre revenue for winter crop.

We can only get one crop a year. You have to get down to about the Mason Dixon line or a little further south to get 2 crops a year.

Also in the early 1980's I seen guys go under owing $2500 an acre for ground. Of course, they also went into debt for new tractors and equipment borrowing against that ground and their crop. We also had a Jimmy Carter embargo that was not totally resolved by the early 1980's and that hurt too. I understand there are an increasing number of farm bankruptcy's going on right now as well. It's 1982 all over again.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/14/19.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I remember giving $450 an acre for a farm and worrying myself half sick as to whether or not I could pay for it by farming it, but I did. I cannot imagine giving $10,000 or more an acre and having to pay for it by farming it. It would be extremely hard to do.

You can't. Simple as that, not with conventional commodity crops.

Now, maybe Hemp or some niche crop. Not sure about that. I'd have problems sleeping at night if I had that much in a piece of land, planning to live out of the proceeds, pay for equipment and service the note...

Not me...

DF

Corn 190/bu average at $3.75/bu = $712/acre revenue for summer crop.

Im not sure about Iowa, but here we winter crop. I have barley in now.

Barley 58/bu average at $5/bu = $290/acre revenue for winter crop.

We can only get one crop a year. You have to get down to about the Mason Dixon line or a little further south to get 2 crops a year.

Also in the early 1980's I seen guys go under owing $2500 an acre for ground. Of course, they also went into debt for new tractors and equipment borrowing against that ground and their crop. We also had a Jimmy Carter embargo that was not totally resolved by the early 1980's and that hurt too. I understand there are an increasing number of farm bankruptcy's going on right now as well. It's 1982 all over again.

kwg

That is true, although Corn was 2.00 a bushel and made about 140 bu/acre , but the real killer was 20% + interest rates for those guys who had land and equipment financed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Jimmy Carter was the best learning experience this country ever had, what a f~cking idiot he is !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Generally speaking is land covered with big trees, mostly oaks and other hardwoods, worth more or less than farmland?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Generally speaking is land covered with big trees, mostly oaks and other hardwoods, worth more or less than farmland?

The farther.', north you go, the slower growing the trees are, so the density is greatly and so is the wood value, but few owners or buyers care any more, check out the boat builders on Chautauqua lake in the 50's. The best furniture, Pianos and boats were made from the hardwood grown here.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Land in Grundy Co, Iowa was valued at $10,000/acre in 2017. I believe totaled at 158 tillable acres. I know, I sold some of it.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1minute, 2500HD, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,329
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.