Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Today I saw the first ice fisherman out on the local lake. If there is two inches of ice I would be surprised. Two days ago there was someone shooting ducks off the same lake. Monday, the lake was clear of ice due to wind piling it up on the shore.

I can't believe some people put catching a fish over not only their own lives but the lives of those who would be called to save the fool. I was called upon to handle these emergencies a few times in my career and I never let the opportunity pass to give the survivors (not all lived) an earful of how stupid they were. I get there can be unforeseen occasions such as pressure ridges, schools of carp, and other factors causing sudden thin ice but a few days of cold weather does not make for safe ice.

I texted my neighbor about the guy as my neighbor is on the volunteer fire dept. I told him to let me know if there was a call and I would grab my ice rescue bag and meet him at the lake. We might be able to get a rope on the guy before he goes under and make body recovery less dangerous.

GB4

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Just let "stupid" take care of itself.

He's probably been icing all of his life and "knows" how thick ice needs to be to be safe.

Yea, 2". Probably not safe.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
He uses a calendar to base his knowledge of the ice thickness. Everyone else uses a tape measure and a thermometer.

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How many vehicles do they loose a year up there that are parked out on the ice?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen open water turn into 5 inches in 2 nights. Unles you walk out and drill a hole, you have no clue how thick the ice is. If you cant tell if it's safe from the truck, you cant tell if its unsafe either.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
He sounds like the guy who went ice fishing and caught 100 pounds of ice. Then his wife drowned trying to cook it! People dumb enough to live where water gets solid are probably a couple of cans short of a six pack in the first place!
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious what 'schools of carp' have to do with this.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
He sounds like the guy who went ice fishing and caught 100 pounds of ice. Then his wife drowned trying to cook it! People dumb enough to live where water gets solid are probably a couple of cans short of a six pack in the first place!
Jerry

Six pack is gone. We drank it ice fishing.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Morewood
Curious what 'schools of carp' have to do with this.

Carp flatulence...

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
“Stupid is as stupid does”.....& it will.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
IIRC AK Troopers had a poster saying that 1” was safe to walk on, 2” to drive a Snowmachine, and 8” to drive a car. I always preferred at least 6” before even getting on it at all.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sometimes the herd thins itself.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

Well, that's generally the problem - it ain't their first 6 pack.

I don't like to sweat all that much- I'll keep winter. If it ever gets here.

I can always add more clothes. When yer nekkid and sweating, there ain't any more to come off.

mid- 30's, but the freezing rain turned to snow. Melting snow, slush. gonna be fun when it freezes tonight. I'm home, and staying there!

From my point of view, people who live where you do have fired mush for brains for several months of the year. So there! smile

Image result for safe ice thicknesswww.almanac.com
If your reading is at least four inches, proceed with caution. Ice more than five inches thick will likely hold a snowmobile, and ice more than eight inches thick will likely support a car or small pickup truck.

Salt water ice is more flexible or "plastci" and "tougher". An inch will hold a person as long as one shuffles across the lead real fast. It bends real good before breaking. Usually. Probably. Most of the time. Pretty good percentages, tho. No need to ask me how I know....

And don't come back the same way.

Last edited by las; 11/14/19.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Also curious about the carp factor

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by cv540
Also curious about the carp factor

Large schools of carp finning under the ice can thin it .

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Carp suck.

But I think it is related to turbulance caused by large schools of fish stirring up deeper, warm water and thinning the ice above. An underwater spring can do the same thing- or a bit of a drainage channel off a nearby hill, along the shore (ask me how I know this, too- Arctic experience.- but I have a fast throttle thumb!)

Best to stay off shore a bit. On fresh water, especially.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm happy to live in a place where lake ice thickness isn't an issue. If you got to take a post hole digger fishin',.....fuggit,....I'll pass.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Settin' there wrapped up like Nanook of the North,.....watching a fishing line hanging down in a hole through 3 feet of ice thinking,..."Something's about to bite,...I just *know* it!"

,...nah,...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Y'all are just bitter cause your neighbor won't let you fish.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Settin' there wrapped up like Nanook of the North,.....watching a fishing line hanging down in a hole through 3 feet of ice thinking,..."Something's about to bite,...I just *know* it!"

,...nah,...

6 feet. We deemed the ice safe. Ice auger extensions are da bomb!

Them 35 lb shee fish are worth eating... smile. It's why God or maybe Conoco made gasoline.

[Linked Image from i25.photobucket.com]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,268
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.