Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Tasmania is definitely a nice place.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been all over the lower 48, and a bit of Canada.
No where else.
Honestly, and this may seem silly,
When I have been in Canada, I am constantly aware
that I'm not home. No tangible reason, just a constant awareness.
And am always glad to be back in America. (Even if it's New York or Detroit)

I hope that doesn't offend my Northern brothers,
it's not meant to.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Thought about opening a business branch in Costa Rica. It's a US territory, so I guess it doesn't count.

Business and personal tax advantages are massive if you live there greater than half the year, but don't have to give up us citizenship.

Yeah, it gets hurricanes but every place has its crap weather.

It's still on the table, but as things mature, it seems less and less likely. I'll just bend over and take the IRS raping.

Costa Rica a US Territory? Ohh?

My bad. Puerto Rico. Was talking about fishing in Costa Rica last night and just transposed.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I’ve been living in an 80% Hispanic area for more’n 30 years and ain’t been racially persecuted or hated yet 🙄

A thing that could stop me from moving many places overseas is how easy it would be for them to despise a rich old dude (me) from America who has the freedom and money to just up and leave whenever.

Meanwhile.... I’d like to live a year in Costa Rica/Central America just to watch the ebb and flow of migratory birds through the seasons.

Wouldn’t mind a year back in England where I spent my childhood either.

I’d like to live a year on a bicycle following the seasons in North America, another year like that in Asia.

But.....

Ain’t no one mentioned family yet that I saw. My son and my granddaughter live here, which may well keep me grounded here. San Antonio ain’t a bad place to end up.

Unless of course all them Tex-Mexicans up and turn on us White people.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am seriously considering retiring abroad. I probably would not have except that my dad and step mom moved from WA State to Ecuador late in 2011. I have visited them twice and very much enjoyed the time there and the great birding. My wife went with me on the first trip and she did not enjoy it as much.

She and I plan to spend 2 weeks in Colombia in February next year to do some birding and general checking it out. My dad and step mom are very happy in Ecuador but he encourages me to check out Colombia before making any decisions.

I/we are 10+ years away from retirement so we have time to do some research and investigating. We will probably visit Panama and Costa Rica at some point. Costa Rica sounds more expensive than ideal though.

My motivations are that I am an adventurous person so I enjoy seeing new areas, I like bird watching/hiking, desire to find a pleasant year round climate, a lower cost of living which would more likely enable me to travel to other areas for adventure/birding, the USA is not the place it used to be and I really wonder if we will be able to avoid another Civil War and/or a financial melt down.

Some folks on this thread have mentioned crime. I live only about 15 miles from a bad area of South Bend, Indiana. Many shootings/killings there every year. Moving to Ecuador or Colombia may well be safer?

I spent 2 weeks in New Zealand back in 1987 when I was on my way to Australia to work a harvest at a winery. I really enjoyed New Zealand and would love to visit again. I suspect the cost of living is higher than I would like and am not sure I could find the favorable year round climate desired but I will do some research on both.

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by rufous
I am seriously considering retiring abroad. I probably would not have except that my dad and step mom moved from WA State to Ecuador late in 2011. I have visited them twice and very much enjoyed the time there and the great birding. My wife went with me on the first trip and she did not enjoy it as much.

She and I plan to spend 2 weeks in Colombia in February next year to do some birding and general checking it out. My dad and step mom are very happy in Ecuador but he encourages me to check out Colombia before making any decisions.

I/we are 10+ years away from retirement so we have time to do some research and investigating. We will probably visit Panama and Costa Rica at some point. Costa Rica sounds more expensive than ideal though.

My motivations are that I am an adventurous person so I enjoy seeing new areas, I like bird watching/hiking, desire to find a pleasant year round climate, a lower cost of living which would more likely enable me to travel to other areas for adventure/birding, the USA is not the place it used to be and I really wonder if we will be able to avoid another Civil War and/or a financial melt down.

Some folks on this thread have mentioned crime. I live only about 15 miles from a bad area of South Bend, Indiana. Many shootings/killings there every year. Moving to Ecuador or Colombia may well be safer?

I spent 2 weeks in New Zealand back in 1987 when I was on my way to Australia to work a harvest at a winery. I really enjoyed New Zealand and would love to visit again. I suspect the cost of living is higher than I would like and am not sure I could find the favorable year round climate desired but I will do some research on both.

Without solid connections in-country, I would shy away from Colombia. And by connections, I mean a local who has your back and preferably is fairly well-connected with the powers that be in that area. Uruguay would be easier to assimilate with no connections. Argentina and Chile the same.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One thing I have not seen mentioned is Exit Tax. Did you know that Dubya signed an IRS code into law that sticks you with @30% tax on your holdings if you change your permanent residency. Maybe it requires a citizenship change to trigger- not sure of that. But it should be a consideration. You are not going to legally sell your house, your cars, your furniture, cash out and fly out with no penalty.

Of course, you can always live elsewhere as a permanent resident, but fewer rights and no ability to vote are part of that wagon ride.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
One thing I have not seen mentioned is Exit Tax. Did you know that Dubya signed an IRS code into law that sticks you with @30% tax on your holdings if you change your permanent residency. Maybe it requires a citizenship change to trigger- not sure of that. But it should be a consideration. You are not going to legally sell your house, your cars, your furniture, cash out and fly out with no penalty.

Of course, you can always live elsewhere as a permanent resident, but fewer rights and no ability to vote are part of that wagon ride.

I am not surprised by anything that idiot did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We love our Idaho spread, blessed here. Thankful to be Americans.
That said, we'd entertain living at least part time abroad, it would depend on the place and cost of living.

The truth is that the U.S. is absolutely full of non-English speaking lowlife aliens from other countries, our great nation is slowing becoming the S-hole many are describing about other places.
I'd take my chances in parts of Mexico, Pan-America or Asia than in many parts of the U.S. Sad.

The gun issue and self-defense is very valid.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Thought about opening a business branch in Costa Rica. It's a US territory, so I guess it doesn't count.

Business and personal tax advantages are massive if you live there greater than half the year, but don't have to give up us citizenship.

Yeah, it gets hurricanes but every place has its crap weather.

It's still on the table, but as things mature, it seems less and less likely. I'll just bend over and take the IRS raping.

Costa Rica a US Territory? Ohh?

My bad. Puerto Rico. Was talking about fishing in Costa Rica last night and just transposed.

Fishing in Costa Rica sounds funner than living in Puerto Rico. wink

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't believe some of the countries being mentioned as potential places to move to, particularly in Central and South America. Panama? Colombia? Ecuador? Mexico? My God - those places aren't even considered safe to get off the beaten path as a tourist. Why do you think it would be different if you actually lived there?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll stay right here. Might move to a more rural area though.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
No -- have lived as an expat. Only future is here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If not for family and friends, would live in Australia or New Zealand. Problems yes, but lots less than other spots I have been. Been in 51 countries and 47 States, so do have a little experience.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nope. I lived and worked abroad in many places and while I enjoyed Calgary and Brisbane I could never wrap it up in either place. The rest were trash... I am pleased with the Texas Hill County and North Idaho until I drop dead.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve known several people that have moved abroad and all did it for financial reasons. Living abroad in third world countries can be very cheap, especially if one can pay for a house.

I know a guy that lives with servants etc. in a three thousand square foot house in Goa, India for $600 a month. He’s not under weight!

The US is still the best. If I bought a place abroad it would be a second seasonal home.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm already out of the country. Just waiting for enough of us to declare independence.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Talking to a lady friend of mine recently and her sister lives in Panama. Her sister invited her and her husband to move down there and live with her. She claims it's very cheap to live down there, but there's got to be some down side possible to take into consideration.

I also have some friends who moved to Ecuador and really like living there. Years ago I had friends who moved were snow birds in Mexico. Haven't kept up with them, but I really can't see an upside to that anymore. I just know that there are x-pats in Viet Nam, Thailand, Phillipines, and various other countries due to cheaper living.

Have any of you considered that? I haven't considered it seriously but I have to admit it's crossed my mind. Problem is many of those countries don't allow you to carry a handgun on your person. My answer, is if my gun, is not wanted, then neither am I. What's your take on this whole thing?

Out of Australia...in a shot, straight down to Tassie.

Take that Taswegians.

Added for those not in the know...reference to Tassie being left off Australian map at Brisbane Games.

I thought Tasmania was in Africa.

Take that (part 2)!

No seriously Tassie is okay. They invented the toothbrush down there.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (10ring1, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 2UP, 264mag, 26 invisible), 1,655 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,972
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.