Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
When you have backpacked back in how close do you make camp to your hunting area?

The noise of cooking your meals. The scent plume. The noise generated when cutting wood for the stove when you are hot tenting.....

Do you make camp in the middle of your hunting area? I have had deer literally walk through my camp. Elk are a little different. More reclusive.

What are your thoughts?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On elk we set up at least one canyon away from where we expect to hunt. Not convenient. Deer don't seem to be as elusive.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Same here, except we don't have canyons, more like basins. A lot of it has to do with the lay of the land, and where they feed at night and bed during the day.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Similar to what is stated above the general concept that I utilize is A I like to camp where the elk do not want to be, and B I want a terrain feature between me and the animals Intend to hunt, and that terrainnfeature should provide for keeping my wind out of the elk and they’re expected travel corridor while I’m there.

You can utilize the same concept if you are waiting on pressure to push elk to you.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
For deer in alpine, depends on what the wind is doing. It’s nice to get out or tent and have short hike to glassing spot. So it’s usually on the other side of the ridge, near the top to the bowls I want to glass at first light. Hiking layers and first light layers are different for me.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If you're hunting big muley bucks, you don't want to be anywhere close. If they detect you, they're gone. They don't get big by being dumb. Earlier this year, my partner spotted a really biggun on a ridge about 1/2 mile away. He had barely got his binocs on it when it saw him about 15 sec later and just took off running over the ridge.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
It depends, in some areas, on the availability of water. If water is scarce camping near it is a poor idea and should be avoided. Being willing to pack your water into dry area is a good way to avoid the crowds and find big Mule Deer. Carrying water isn't fun but finding big deer certainly is.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I backpack in, I have as basic of a camp as possible....and don't make fires. I usually don't cook either, just eat a lot of snacks and such. Sometimes I'll do the mountain house thing with a jetboil. I am almost always solo too, so talking noise isn't an issue (unless I've been back there too long).

I'm there to sleep and that's about it, so I don't mind being closer to the action. I've made camp within a few hundred yards of where I expect critters to be, though it is usually near a ridgetop where the wind is fairly predictable.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by T_Inman
When I backpack in, I have as basic of a camp as possible....and don't make fires. I usually don't cook either, just eat a lot of snacks and such. Sometimes I'll do the mountain house thing with a jetboil. I am almost always solo too, so talking noise isn't an issue (unless I've been back there too long).

I'm there to sleep and that's about it, so I don't mind being closer to the action. I've made camp within a few hundred yards of where I expect critters to be, though it is usually near a ridgetop where the wind is fairly predictable.

Exactly the same for me...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Exactly the same for me...

That's because you 2 home boys, know what you're talking about & actually do it !

wink

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The bull I shot this year was a 15min hike from my tent. Getting from the truck to where the tent was is another story...

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Not a back packer here, but I find more and more hunters trying to get in closer to the elk habitat .I guess it is all about getting ahead of the other guy.I have seen guys set up big camps right in a prime elk corridor.Then they go out and "scout" in the timber for 1-2 days before the season starts and bump the elk. Opening day they are complaining about all the elk are gone and can't figure out why

Elk will move thru one of those areas, but mostly camping in the hunt area will move elk out. Sometimes over the next ridge,sometimes three - four drainages away

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.