Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looking for a 7mm08, thinking winchester extreme weather or Christensen arms mesa. Open to other suggestions but not wanting a sub 7lb gun. Limit is 1500.00 for rifle.

HR IC

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve been looking at the Mesa. If I can handle one soon I might get it. Unfortunately nobody has the fieldcraft in 7mm-08. Not that I’ve seen anyhow.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T/C Compass with 1-9” twist. Mine shoots great with 160 gr bullets. I have not tried anything heavier, but I would think it would do very well.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Sako 85

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A Tikka in their lightweight stainless would be hard to pass up for me, and still be well under the 1500. Nothing wrong w/ the 2 you mentioned either. Also, a Howa Alpine....

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have both, Christensen in 7-08 and Tikka in 7mm mag. Both good rifles but for most use I like the Christensen

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Esox357
Looking for a 7mm08, thinking winchester extreme weather or Christensen arms mesa. Open to other suggestions but not wanting a sub 7lb gun. Limit is 1500.00 for rifle.

I'd build. Hint.

The 70 is a 1-9.5" RPM Goat Fhuqk and done,before it even starts. Hint. Congratulations?!?

There's nothing redeeming in the Mesa,other than they'll Takea your Casha. Hinta.

Teeker 7-08's are hilariously 1-9.5" RPM too...yet on a Long Action. Hint. LAUGHING!

NSS Remage S/S 1-8" LV contoured,recessed crown 7-08. Grab a 'lug and 'nut from James and you'll be in $370 for the spout,custom length,nut,lug,yada,yada,yada. Have him toss a TT Primary in there for another 145 clams,for $515 total(don't fret his shipping/handling,as he shoots fhuqking straight). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Get RHR on the horn,go webbed Terrain in M5 inlet(S/A 700 fhuqking obviously),scoop their "Add a DBM of your choice Special" for $399. Have 'em flip a S/S 700 .473" S/A in da' box and you are off to the races...for $1323 all in and whatever shipping is,guts,feathers and all. That'll score a couple/few binderless AICS footprint mags and the bitch will balance/handle well...while leaving you fresh outta excuses. Nobody ships faster,or with less Fluff. Hint.

Just saying.

Thank me later.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Heck, I'll thank ya now Stumpy.....

great info....thanks!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What’s the downfall on the Mesa? Wouldn’t consider it if Barrett would ship out some more rifles.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Honestly thought of buying the 6 CM fieldcraft in the meantime. Considering the factory ammo is common around here

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shefire,

You suck a mean ass and I rather enjoy the added oblivious hilarity,that you've "got" the jingle to build one. Hint. Congratulations?!? LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for DREAMING though.

Hint.

Laughing!.................

'70,

The Mesa is simply a Fluff Filled Fhuqk Show,that misses the schit that matters most,while "connecting" the schit that don't. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Mechanics are PARAMOUNT and they are fhuqking Clueless. Less the alignment of RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL latitude...you are left with stink on your mitts. Hint.

Bang for the buck,a guy wanting a Light Rifle done fhuqking RIGHT,could simply nab a Whittaker's Fieldcraft blowout S/A and rebarrel,while groovin' the inherent mechanics,which are without equal. The OP doesn't want that,thus the impetus otherwise. Hint.

With the Mesa,you take the huge COAL hit,the huge RPM hit,the ergo's hit,the mounting system hit and are left at the bottom...looking up towards the top. When the dust settles,the coupla bucks difference,means less than fhuqking ZERO,when objectively quantifying what do what. Hint.

Score a Teeker S/S Donor in .473" and have a right proper 1-8" 7-08 spout tossed on the bitch and then you are but a mag swap,bolt stop and a few licks with a file away,from CRUSHING a Mesa. P.S. and by the way,I only HATE Teekers,because I've shot more of the things on accident,than their Lovers have on PURPOSE. Hint.(grin)

If I cain't drive a Blind Mag correctly(Fieldcraft COAL latitude in said chambering),then simply pass Binderless AICS,to arrange RPM,COAL and Throat Geometry...which is easy for me to say,mainly because I fhuqking shoot it all. Hint.

To the chagrin of Window Licking Followers everywhere,Mechanics simply matter most,no matter the extent of the excuses used to "curtail" same. None of which is "subjective". HINT.

Facts and Physics,reliably CRUSH Fantasy.

As to the Seex Kreedmire proper,I'm barely fluent,as I only have (3) of 'em. I'm patiently awaiting the new 110 Beer Cans,to see WTF,in all of 'em. I prefer it to the 243Win,mainly because I gun it all.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I went with the M70 EW SS in 7-08 this year and it has done the job I got it for very well. I hunt WTs only so I shoot bullets in the 120 to 140 range so the twist rate is adequate for my needs and the rifle has proven to be very accurate with a number of bullets. I hunted with the Barnes 120gr TTSX loaded to 3021fps and both kills were DRT.

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Build one, you've been led to water from above.

Last edited by Remington280; 11/15/19.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’d do what stick says on this deal. James is a top notch dude. I can’t seem to find a 7-08 fieldcraft so I am going to go the way of the remage and go from there. Got all the parts I need to do it right just need the basics, pipe, but, lug. Go 8 twist so you have the option of shooting heavies if you choose. The 180s at even pedestrian velocities are mind blowing on paper and I believe stick has said that they are fantastic in reality. Hopefully I will find out shortly.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've only owned one 7mm08, and it was a Kimber 84M Classic with nice wood. It was light, however. I just recently bought a Mesa in 300WM and I like it. I'm not a LR hunter though, nor a mountain goat hunter. I like a "sporter weight" rifle. Good luck to you.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd slum something like a Fieldcraft in another chambering until they get the 7mm-08 variants going again.

Last edited by 257heaven; 11/15/19.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Stick! Ill look into the build option.

I wonder if i went with a heavier barrel on the fieldcraft to get it to 6.5 lbs to 7lbs. Wonder how it would balance?

Last edited by Esox357; 11/15/19.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The Weatherby Vanguard might be something to look at. Lots of options there and the Howa action is solid.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What is the intended use? While Stick is correct that the 1 in 9.5" twist barrels on most of the factory offerings aren't any good for shooting the heavier bullets (think 162 grain ELD-X, 180 grain ELD-M and the various Berger options that are heavies), they to great with the 120-150 grain offerings. So, as long as moose, big bears and heavy African plains game are not on the menu and you don't plan to stretch it past 800 yards as a paper puncher, then most of the factory rifles will do anything you need it to do.

If you want to shoot the heavy bullets to either hunt with or reach out there with, then you will most likely get the most bang for your buck by building something. The other reason for building is that you get to control all of the variables from the beginning, which you cannot do with a factory rifle.

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Elk and deer hunting 600 yards max. Thinking a 140 AB or TTSX for all around bullet. Possibly a scenar bullet. If i go heavier bullet im jumping to a 7mm WSM or .30 caliber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.