Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JamesJr Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Dumped HughesNet and got the A.T.&T. fixed wireless internet installed yesterday. No comparison.......this system is so much better than Hughes, it's not even close. I had a pretty much basic plan with Hughes, free data from after midnight until 8AM, then 20GB after that, which was double what I'd had with the DishNet. We don't do a lot with internet, and never game or stream movies, but with Hughes we were always being slowed down because they said we were out of data.......even though we were not doing any different with Hughes than we had with Dish, and according to Dish, we weren't using all the data.

Anyway, we have 215 GB of data a month now for $40, compared to $70 at Hughes. That's for a year, and it'll go up after a year to $60, but might be able to come up with something to bundle that with and keep the cost down. Now that I have the data, may try Netflix. But, it's the download speed that I'm impressed with. Hughes was slower than a turtle, A.T.&T. is like a rabbit. I'm only two miles from a tower, and can see it from my house, so I'm getting a good signal, which I'm sure helps.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Lol, Remember when we didn't have these problems.......... grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Yes, and I also remember the wife telling me to get off the computer, because she wanted to use the landline.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by 12344mag

Yes, and I also remember the wife telling me to get off the computer, because she wanted to use the landline.

Less than a year ago I still had a landline dial-up connection.

Now I connect through a cell phone and the difference is amazing, but it's still slow compared to WiFi or a cable connection.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

My AT&t wireless internet is off and on all the time .

We are out in the country , but still in northern ILL.

Been out for13 days now.

I am using my office computer at my business.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Where we live, we get AT&T through fiber. Its part of AT&T's U-Verse offering. I could add a land line and could use their tv service but have chosen to remain with DirecTV.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
The thing is with the Hughes net and others running out of bandwidth is videos take quite a lot and I don't think they have the transport that can handle a lot of usage. We suffered the same thing until we could do better. It's a frustration situation. I never was capable of convincing my adversary that watching those skin care and hair videos was running us out of bandwidth. Watching hunting and shooting videos hardly takes any bandwidth but she just wouldn't listen.

Wish this was ATT country but it's not. Verizon has much better coverage around here and currently they're laying a fiber network that looks to be pretty extensive. Soon they may offer the same arrangement. The thing about ATT is in their areas they have pretty good infrastructure. In the days of POTS lines they weren't too concerned about bandwidth but in todays environment they have been laying a lot of fiber and their U-Verse offering is pretty good. Where their cell service is well maintained they can offer very good packages. The only drawback with cell network is inclement weather that can degrade or completely cut the signal.

Smaller providers that offer DSL service do pretty well but suffer from transport bandwidth so gamers and high usage customers suffer because the phone company sold something they can't deliver. Because of a network designed for POTS service trying to deliver high speed data they are struggling to maintain the commitment to the customer. In the outlying areas it becomes expensive to lay miles of cable and DSL is limited to 3K feet from the CO. My opinion is they should have been maintaining and upgrading their networks with better remote capabilities but it costs money and they want to give good returns to the investors so they just let it slide until it bites them. It causes a lot of bad relations.

ATT has had it's share of trouble from stupid management decisions and some of them come from FCC mismanagement and meddling. In the late 80's on the I35 corridor there were a lot of hurt feelings and PUC complaints that led to inquiries the company didn't have any good answers for. When a person has to dial long distance to place a call across the street you can imagine how stressed the situation can get. There are still a couple of communities around there that won't use any ATT services because of the hurt feelings.

All communications companies have suffered from bad to non existent management over the years and in some cases it's gotten worse. It's all about providing a good return for investors in spite of the stupid management spending habits and neglect of the plant. Micromanaging outside plant personnel and denying any plant maintenance has always led to problematic service; the only damned thing they have to sell. They will cling to their agenda in spite of all the evidence it's failing. An old upper lever manager once told me; "this company makes so damned much money they'll never be able to waste it all."

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Dumped HughesNet and got the A.T.&T. fixed wireless internet installed yesterday. No comparison.......this system is so much better than Hughes, it's not even close. I had a pretty much basic plan with Hughes, free data from after midnight until 8AM, then 20GB after that, which was double what I'd had with the DishNet. We don't do a lot with internet, and never game or stream movies, but with Hughes we were always being slowed down because they said we were out of data.......even though we were not doing any different with Hughes than we had with Dish, and according to Dish, we weren't using all the data.

Anyway, we have 215 GB of data a month now for $40, compared to $70 at Hughes. That's for a year, and it'll go up after a year to $60, but might be able to come up with something to bundle that with and keep the cost down. Now that I have the data, may try Netflix. But, it's the download speed that I'm impressed with. Hughes was slower than a turtle, A.T.&T. is like a rabbit. I'm only two miles from a tower, and can see it from my house, so I'm getting a good signal, which I'm sure helps.

Are you receiving your new AT&T internet service into your home now via your existing landline telephone wiring to a router where it then becomes wireless, or is it completely wireless (no landline wiring connection), transmitted via air signal from the nearby cell-tower?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by rainshot
The thing is with the Hughes net and others running out of bandwidth is videos take quite a lot and I don't think they have the transport that can handle a lot of usage. We suffered the same thing until we could do better. It's a frustration situation. I never was capable of convincing my adversary that watching those skin care and hair videos was running us out of bandwidth. Watching hunting and shooting videos hardly takes any bandwidth but she just wouldn't listen.

Wish this was ATT country but it's not. Verizon has much better coverage around here and currently they're laying a fiber network that looks to be pretty extensive. Soon they may offer the same arrangement. The thing about ATT is in their areas they have pretty good infrastructure. In the days of POTS lines they weren't too concerned about bandwidth but in todays environment they have been laying a lot of fiber and their U-Verse offering is pretty good. Where their cell service is well maintained they can offer very good packages. The only drawback with cell network is inclement weather that can degrade or completely cut the signal.

Smaller providers that offer DSL service do pretty well but suffer from transport bandwidth so gamers and high usage customers suffer because the phone company sold something they can't deliver. Because of a network designed for POTS service trying to deliver high speed data they are struggling to maintain the commitment to the customer. In the outlying areas it becomes expensive to lay miles of cable and DSL is limited to 3K feet from the CO. My opinion is they should have been maintaining and upgrading their networks with better remote capabilities but it costs money and they want to give good returns to the investors so they just let it slide until it bites them. It causes a lot of bad relations.

ATT has had it's share of trouble from stupid management decisions and some of them come from FCC mismanagement and meddling. In the late 80's on the I35 corridor there were a lot of hurt feelings and PUC complaints that led to inquiries the company didn't have any good answers for. When a person has to dial long distance to place a call across the street you can imagine how stressed the situation can get. There are still a couple of communities around there that won't use any ATT services because of the hurt feelings.

All communications companies have suffered from bad to non existent management over the years and in some cases it's gotten worse. It's all about providing a good return for investors in spite of the stupid management spending habits and neglect of the plant. Micromanaging outside plant personnel and denying any plant maintenance has always led to problematic service; the only damned thing they have to sell. They will cling to their agenda in spite of all the evidence it's failing. An old upper lever manager once told me; "this company makes so damned much money they'll never be able to waste it all."

AT&T seems to constantly stay embroiled in lawsuits over alleged improprieties of one kind or another, too, and much more often than not dragging it out for as long as they can, then eventually settling but with no admission of guilt.

AT&T and DirecTV face thousands of complaints linked to overcharging, promotions

AT&T hit with lawsuit alleging it faked DirecTV Now customer numbers

AT&T to Pay $60 Million to Reso...umers with ‘Unlimited Data’ Promises

The U.S. government's long history of suing AT&T

AT&T Slapped With Class Action Suit Over Alleged Bait-And-Switch Pricing Of DirecTV Now

How AT&T Insiders Were Bribed to 'Unlock' Millions of Phones

Shareholder lawsuit alleges massive fraud at AT&T

Clark Howard warns customers away from AT&T/DirecTV

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

Are you receiving your new AT&T internet service into your home now via your existing landline telephone wiring to a router where it then becomes wireless, or is it completely wireless (no landline wiring connection), transmitted via air signal from the nearby cell-tower?

Small antenna aimed at cell tower, attached to roof, wire running to a little black box, which is hooked up to my desktop. Little black box is also the Wi-Fi.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Over hyping their delivery is something all phone companies do and I can't figure out why. It's just what business offices do. They dream up different ways of creating revenue whether it's viable or not and the company goes with it. Every company's different departments are ran on different budgets and are ran like completely different entities thus at conflict with each other.

One time a manager told me that upper management hired some gurus to count beans and they decided that employees work harder if they are in conflict. I told him they were full of [bleep]. Why keep people pissed off and hope they are going to work harder for the company. Sounds like something a retarded idiot would come up with. They made a lot of money over the years as Southwestern Bell wheeling and dealing and when they decided to globalize and became SBC Global they really went to pot. Ever since ATT took over it has been nuts. However management has always been crazy. They have always put themselves on a pedestal and they can get quite creative in ways to waste money. From hundred dollar screwdrivers to company cars for all management. They even ordered outside plant trucks that came with air conditioning and paid extra to have it taken out. The list is almost endless. But the fact remains in todays environment they are sucking wind. They're loosing pots service to cell service and finding out they actually have to deliver a product the public is willing to pay for in order to make a profit.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Small antenna aimed at cell tower, attached to roof, wire running to a little black box, which is hooked up to my desktop. Little black box is also the Wi-Fi.

Okay, I understand now. Thanks!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Over hyping their delivery is something all phone companies do and I can't figure out why. It's just what business offices do. They dream up different ways of creating revenue whether it's viable or not and the company goes with it. Every company's different departments are ran on different budgets and are ran like completely different entities thus at conflict with each other.

One time a manager told me that upper management hired some gurus to count beans and they decided that employees work harder if they are in conflict. I told him they were full of [bleep]. Why keep people pissed off and hope they are going to work harder for the company. Sounds like something a retarded idiot would come up with. They made a lot of money over the years as Southwestern Bell wheeling and dealing and when they decided to globalize and became SBC Global they really went to pot. Ever since ATT took over it has been nuts. However management has always been crazy. They have always put themselves on a pedestal and they can get quite creative in ways to waste money. From hundred dollar screwdrivers to company cars for all management. They even ordered outside plant trucks that came with air conditioning and paid extra to have it taken out. The list is almost endless. But the fact remains in todays environment they are sucking wind. They're loosing pots service to cell service and finding out they actually have to deliver a product the public is willing to pay for in order to make a profit.

At&T has been losing customers left and right to Spectrum Cable (no shining example itself per reviews) where ever cable is available in this area. But. Spectrum has no contract "quit anytime" commitment, they buy out existing contracts from current service provider, entry level download speeds of "up to" 100mbps, offer TV, Internet, cable landline and now cellphone packages, and advertised pricing is 'no billing surprises' all inclusive -- taxes, fees, etc.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

At&T has been losing customers left and right to Spectrum Cable (no shining example itself per reviews) where ever cable is available in this area. But. Spectrum has no contract "quit anytime" commitment, they buy out existing contracts from current service provider, entry level download speeds of "up to" 100mbps, offer TV, Internet, cable landline and now cellphone packages, and advertised pricing is 'no billing surprises' all inclusive -- taxes, fees, etc.

I wish I had some more options, but being out in the country, my choices are very limited. No company is going to string new wires to me.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we're on at&t u-verse wire. not fiber optics.

generally good. we have landline & computer bundle.

comcast is a strong competitor here. we have comcast cable.

the issue with at&t if there is one is service, when it goes down.

talk with folks in india, indonesia, phoenix, wisconsin, florida etc. etc.

finally a service man comes out after the problem persists, and he fixes it.

but after the service is restored it's pretty good, until the next time it goes out.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Gus
we're on at&t u-verse wire. not fiber optics.

generally good. we have landline & computer bundle.

comcast is a strong competitor here. we have comcast cable.

the issue with at&t if there is one is service, when it goes down.

talk with folks in india, indonesia, phoenix, wisconsin, florida etc. etc.

finally a service man comes out after the problem persists, and he fixes it.

but after the service is restored it's pretty good, until the next time it goes out.

We're on AT&T U-verse, too.

Last time our internet service went down I immediately called and reported it and earliest repair date was scheduled almost a whole week away.

No direct fiber optic service available here either and per what a long time AT&T service man told me it's not likely to be available in smaller customer base areas and rural areas for a long, long time, if ever.

AT&T Fiber Optic coverage map

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,096
Posts18,502,011
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.