-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Fine storyline and pictures! I sorry you guys didn’t get your deer!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Better luck next time, sounds like a lot was learned. It's tough when it's an out of state hunt and you can only do it every few years, but I bet the hunts get better and better. Good luck!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I suppose that's why they call it hunting

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Take-aways from the trip:

1. I’ve hunted with Jim a fair bit here in Michigan, but on this hunt we really complimented on another skill- and insight-wise. Deeply grateful for him both as a friend and as a Positive, upbeat, energetic, flexible, and determined hunting partner. I felt like we brought out the best in one another in the field as have so often in our broader walk to Zion
2. Our ability to problem solve as conditions changed was huge. I feel like we’ve grown together as hunters in this area. We questioned one another’s assumptions, gathered observations, and changed tactics quickly
3. I’ve always thought of western hunting as a distance shooting game and prepared accordingly. This year proved that not only is the distance shooting important but offhand and quick seated and improvised-rest and shorter ranges are important to practice.
4. We both were in ok shape and did what felt like a lot of climbing but an elk or mule deer hunt would have crushed us so we’ve got our work cut out for us.
5. I live a pretty charmed life and can’t really find words to express my gratitude to God for a wife, a job, and friends that make this possible. This adventure, obvious let-downs notwithstanding, ranks at the top of my hunting career thus far.

PS- Jim said on the way home he is hooked and we’ll likely be cashing out pronghorn points in Wyoming next fall. What comes beyond that is up for discussion but there is no doubt we’ll return to the Black Hills before too long

Thanks again all for following this. As you’ve all pointed out, it’s called hunting and the challenge keeps us coming back... sometimes that comes in the form of a failure and while I hate that it’s true in everything in life.

Shots at TWO bucks bigger than anything I’ve ever shot!?!? Seriously unbelievable.

Thanks again!

E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by There_Ya_Go
Looks like a great time, Eric. Hope you guys can close the deal with a nice buck. I'm going to be in SD myself Friday and Saturday chasing pheasants, weather is supposed to be warming up some by then.

Locke,

That sounds awesome; best of luck to you! We saw grouse up top but no pheasants due to our elevation. We saw a group lining up in preparation for a drive on the way home and commented on how awesome it would be to see a dog work and kick up some birds!

Enjoy it my brother,

Eric

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Eric,

Sounds like an awesome trip despite the lack of deer on the Prius for the trip home. Sorry your buddy wasn’t able to connect on his first buck. I’m assuming you’re both headed back again?

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. The pics were great!

Camp is where you make it.
E
efw Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by tzone
I’m assuming you’re both headed back again?

Oh my word yeah bro!

We’re planning on burning our Wyoming pronghorn points next year. I have a boatload and we’re gonna cruise to a west-central unit to get me a genuine trophy then to the east to get him a buck and ya some does and rabbits.

He is hooked.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Excellent!!

Camp is where you make it.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 3,023 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,196
Posts18,503,582
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.