Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

What can you tell me about it.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
" 18o4 "?? Don't you mean 1892?

I recently got one in .357 mag (with a 12" barrel- legal up here in Canada) but haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I've heard nearly all good things about them and my impression so far is that it's well made. Action out-of-the-box is really slick. I changed out the red rod in the FO sight for a green one because green seems to stand out better for my eyes. Also drilled out the .094 aperture to .154 as I found it a bit too small.

I'm not entirely "convinced" by the takedown feature. Not that it doesn't work- it does, very well, but it seems to me that you could take it down nearly as well by removing the tang screw and sliding the butt stock off. Of course, you need a screwdriver to do this (and maybe want to replace the slotted screw with hex head to reduce the chance of marring the slot) whereas the Chiappa has a folding lever on the mag tube. I've not heard any other comments about this, though, so definitely just my .02. In my case I doubt I'll need to take it down, as it's only 31" long.

Here's a recent comment on the .44 mag. version from someone on Cdn Gunnutz:

Have a taylor/chiappa alaskan td in 44 mag.
My handload using h110/w296 and the 265 gr hornady round nose cycle like [bleep] thru a seagull.
The bullet (designed for 444 marlin velocities) doesn’t expand but at .429/.430 cal doesn’t really have to.
Nice tight ‘one big ragged hole’ groups @ 50 yds.
Those skinner sights are excellent.
Compared to the rossi 92s I’ve owned it was slick out of the box with no grinding, fitting, deburring, polishing needed to make it function smoothly and dependably and NO pig tail safety on the bolt or rebounding hammers, tang safety or any lawyer nonsense.

Last edited by Stuart; 01/13/19.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I am interested in these also. So far, I have only looked and handled in the store. My wife seems to like the 357 with the 16" barrel.

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I seen a review on Gunblast I think it was not too long ago. I like it for an "around the farm" kinda gun. Stainless. Handy. I would be tempted to replace the wood with a nice piece of walnut though.

I would have a hard time choosing between the 357 and the 45. My outside packing pistol is a 357 Blackhawk, complete with cartridge belt, so I suppose that would make the most sense.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by J23
I seen a review on Gunblast I think it was not too long ago. I like it for an "around the farm" kinda gun. Stainless. Handy. I would be tempted to replace the wood with a nice piece of walnut though...

Gunblast's review (the one I checked) was Nov. 2013 and seemed pretty positive. The wood of the stock is pretty soft. Given that it's rubber-covered anyway, they could have used some otherwise nondescript HARD wood, which would be more resistant to the odd bump or ding. Also, the screws holding the forend cap onto the bar dovetailed into the barrel are pretty small and of soft-ish steel. If you lose one, you're hooped as they are I think metric. I'd advise securing them with LocTite. In fact, I've done this with most of the screws. The forend capi itself is kinda lightweight, possibly made of Zamac. None of this makes it a "bad" gun but it suggests that some details are more cosmetic than durable. But there's no question that it makes for a very trim package. I've just swapped out the (otherwise excellent) Skinner sight for a Bushnell red dot and hope to get to the range to sight it in.

Last edited by Stuart; 11/15/19.

Canada: Everything from Eh to Zed.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,142 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,381
Posts18,469,554
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.