Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was in a gun shop yesterday and the owners were talking about Nikon getting out of the scope biz. Seems they were called by a couple of distributors who let them know. Anyone else heard this?

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No big loss

They can quit making binos too, as far as I am concerned

Not hard to do better

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too bad in some ways. Nikon was an excellent optics company as witnessed by their 35mm camera lens and cameras. Like most of the others they have subcontracted their stuff out.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by hatari
Too bad in some ways. Nikon was an excellent optics company as witnessed by their 35mm camera lens and cameras. Like most of the others they have subcontracted their stuff out.

Maybe that and people don't buy cameras anymore. People just use their cell phones to take pics and videos with.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
With their new warranty policy I think they will be getting out of the scope business whether they want to or not.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
With their new warranty policy I think they will be getting out of the scope business whether they want to or not.

This^^^^^^. Don't let the door hit them

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Only info I seen on this was a post made on April 1st this year.

Dont eat the big white mint!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I never understood their product positioning. I always thought the ProStaff scopes gave an awfully good value for the dollar, while the higher end Buckmaster and Monarch lines were quite disappointing given their cost. One would think a company would want the “WOW!” factor to be in their top-endmodels, rather than the entry level ones.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
I never understood their product positioning. I always thought the ProStaff scopes gave an awfully good value for the dollar, while the higher end Buckmaster and Monarch lines were quite disappointing given their cost. One would think a company would want the “WOW!” factor to be in their top-endmodels, rather than the entry level ones.

FC

And now the buckmaster, called the II, now is their cheapest

15 years ago, we sold the stew out of the old buckmasters, awesome scope for the money, I thought and still think having owned monarchs that the buckmaster was just as good if not better. Then the prostaffs came along and turned out to be great value and everything seemed good in the nikon world, had 3 options. And for some reason they started the prostaff 3/5/7, monarch 3/5/7, and a cheap buckmaster ii series mess and no one could really tell where all the scopes fell in line. I think that really hurt them.

i wasn't aware they changed up their warranty policy, I've sent one monarch and a camera lense back, and had both fixed or replaced in just a few weeks. Buddy sent an old nikon from the 80s back and they sent him a brand new monarch.

Last edited by killerv; 11/15/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Can someone elaborate?

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nikon makes very good price point scopes and binos. In the under $500 range the Monarch 7's are as good as any and better than most. I only own two scopes, both Prostaff EFR 3-9x40. Excellent AO rimfire/air rifle scopes for under $200.

Last edited by centershot; 11/15/19.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is my understanding that as of January 1st 2020 Nikon will be out of the riflescope business completely. The sports optics division will still be offering binoculars, spotting scopes and rangefinders.
What they will do about handling riflescope repairs and or warranties I have no idea.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Their people probably read this forum and r ed listed leupold has the optic works sewed up 😗😗

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Fotis

Can someone elaborate?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14128692/1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I couldn't possibly have a better understanding of the situation as gr8tful, but had read a few months back that scopes were going to be separated from the rest of their wares & into another venue, division, etc.

Considering the warranty changes that Doug posted in Sep. & Nikon seeming to want to separate or dissociate the rest of the business from anything that would have to do with the word gun, rifle, or pistol, the best thing for all, customers especially, would be for them to just go away.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Suck it Nikon.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You could definitely see the writing on the walls going back 2 years. Pulling out of the NRA show just months before it started and then this year pulling out of SHOT Show. Add the huge warranty changes after this just bumped up the warranty on electronics 2 years ago said it all. I'm definitely not buying any electronic for hunting that only has a 1 year warranty. Makes you think there has to be a reason?
Let the other companies step up and earn your business.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bet there will be some fire sale level discounts on the Buckmaster and Prostaff scopes in the next few months.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I only have one. A 4x rimfire on a 1972 model 25 marlin. I dont think I could put a better scope on for the money I paid. I like it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have four excellent Nikon Scopes. One of the best is the cheapest one, an older Prostaff I paid $160 for 12 years ago. Then I have 3 of the old Buck Masters that were competitive with the Leupold VX-2, before they cheapened them. They are all very clear and hold immaculate ZERO. I can't speak for other's experience but for mine they have served me well. Nikon and Leupold are my go to scopes.

Maybe I have real good or real bad eyes, but I can see as good at dark thirty with my old Prostaff than I can with the almighty Knight Force. I think all that talk about better optices letting you see better at 30 minutes after sunset is a crock of Bull CaCa. At 30 minutes after sunset I really can't see crap with anything and I go home. Also, I've seen more shooter bucks at sunset than I ever have 30 minutes after.

Last edited by Filaman; 11/15/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.