Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whats happened here is opportunists have seized on the moment and used the reduction in game to reduce resident hunters harvest on pretty much all game animals, preferring to give it to the Indians who are worse than the wolves.
I have attended seminars put on by the "wolf lovers" and its nothing short of a big lie, we dont need wolves for any reason and would suggest wolf lovers to watch a video on wolves killing ungulates.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

well that was an ignorant statement

Originally Posted by Brad
Wolf: primary excuse of lazy, crappy hunters.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"moose seemed to do just fine"
What planet are you on? Moose are not "fine" in MN.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

well that was an ignorant statement

Originally Posted by Brad
Wolf: primary excuse of lazy, crappy hunters.

Brad tends to indulge in liberal thoughts....so such statements are to be expected by him.... wink

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bobmn
"moose seemed to do just fine"
What planet are you on? Moose are not "fine" in MN.

No schitt...moose were the first thing to go here, and in YNP.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not to hard to figure out why the moose went first... number one they aren't the brightest bulb.... two they tend to winter in deeper snow... the wolves can run on top.

The first time a moose see's a wolf his brain is thinking "coyote" nothing to worry about....

The few moose I see now are up very high, like the tops of mountains... so it appears they are adapting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Moose also tend to be loners, except of course cows with a calf or two, and as a result they're more susceptible to wolf predation.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do some of you really not see that the Wolf intro is but an arm of the Deep State Swamp ?

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Strick9
Do some of you really not see that the Wolf intro is but an arm of the Deep State Swamp ?

From here it looks to be the opening salvo in the push to minimise hunting and the popularity of firearms.

But who knows, maybe wolves really are cuddly and wholesome and not really the mongrel creatures I think they are.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Call it what you will but the goal is obvious...for the predators to do population control on the game, and make all those nasty old hunters stay home cause we don't need them anymore.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Wolves were reintroduced under the obligation of the Endangered Species Act. Funny thing is the non native wolf they brought here killed the last few of the original native wolf populations. I think it is more a case of do gooders and the laws of unintended consequences.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
The last 20 years have been bad. But there is a balance beginning to happen. Wolves were introduced into a buffet of elk here, where some of the best elk hunting in the world used to be. The wolf population swelled due to unlimited food source. It didn’t take long to eat 13,000 elk, only a few years really. When there was no food source left, the wolves starved and killed each other over territory. Today packs are smaller and more spread out here. I have not seen any wolf sign this hunting season when normally I would not be able to avoid it. There are more elk than I have seen in past years, and 6 bulls were killed in Taylor Fork opening week.

seeing more elk the last few years over here....paradise valley...…..bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Rifle, wolf, shovel..... Doesn't really seem this complicated

Better in theory than reality... it aint that easy

no schidt…..bob

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In Oregon we can’t legally hunt them, yet....AK, MT, WY and ID have hunting seasons for them...Has that helped reduce and manage wolf numbers or are the wolves protected boundaries so large, you rarely see any while hunting the small areas open for taking a wolf?
😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Ifurbar…….to be honest the 20,000 elk was probably to much for carrying capacity anyway.....but the wolves got busy in a hurry.

the ranches around here are where a lot of elk hang out.....a lot....also in my 30 years here.....some places let you hunt....but not that many.

have seen quite a few elk riding in pickups this year......lot of deer in the valley also......bob

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There's so many theories, thoughts and misinformation out there...I have no idea how to make heads or tails of it all.

I do think this map of Idaho's elk objectives does paint a picture....as the areas below objective are close to where the reintroduction in '95 occurred and where the packs are still largely concentrated.

[Linked Image from idrange.org]

I also have it on good authority that IDFG lowered their elk number objectives somewhat recently....so areas that are now meeting objectives were below objective just a few years ago...why they did that can be theorized to fit both "sides" of the argument, I guess.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
As law abiding hunters, we are allowed to hunt animals, that are deemed surplus....to the overall game population. Wolves hunt year round and literally "eat" into these surplus numbers. This ratio changes from year to year, but the constant remains.......human hunters are managed due to population trends, wolves are not.

I moved to Idaho in 1995, the same year the first wolves were introduced, and things have changed greatly because of them, especially after 2000, when the wolf numbers were high enough to really impact moose, elk, and deer populations.

I have a copy of the 1995 hunting regs, from when I moved to Idaho, that I keep in my truck. When people say things haven't changed that much, I let them review the old regs, and have them compare "then" vs "now", in their favorite area, for their favorite game animal. That ALWAYS leave them quiet and pondering the changes that have occurred, without further discussion. It's amazing how quickly we forget how "things were", pre wolf introduction.

Andy3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobMt

Ifurbar…….to be honest the 20,000 elk was probably to much for carrying capacity anyway.....but the wolves got busy in a hurry.

the ranches around here are where a lot of elk hang out.....a lot....also in my 30 years here.....some places let you hunt....but not that many.

have seen quite a few elk riding in pickups this year......lot of deer in the valley also......bob

I agree Bob, hopefully things will find a balance and improve.... not many people trapping and hunting predators anymore, so I have limited expectations.
As far as hunting access that is another whole can of worms.... think I will sit that discussion out... wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
In Oregon we can’t legally hunt them, yet....AK, MT, WY and ID have hunting seasons for them...Has that helped reduce and manage wolf numbers or are the wolves protected boundaries so large, you rarely see any while hunting the small areas open for taking a wolf?
😎

Most all of ID and MT have no areas closed to hunting wolf during their seasons (other than national parks and the like)...though some areas have quotas. The vast majority of WY classifies wolves as predators, and can be shot at any time of the year in any number. WY does have a few areas where they're classified as a game animal where a tag is needed and both a season and a quota is in place.

That said they're tough to hunt and I have seen no indication that those shot by sport hunters or trapped (or aerial gunned/poisoned) has had any overall effect. When the gov does take an entire pack out I am sure it does alleviate the pressure on deer/elk/moose/cattle, but only until another pack moves in to that area.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
😎

Beav, my corner of the state has no boundaries and I can buy up to 5 wolf tags. Filling them is the trick. A few savvy trappers limit out, but my best guess you could count them on one hand.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 15 invisible), 1,954 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,707
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.