Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
JeffA Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
I will use it for shots i wouldn't take with a .223. If it were me I would get a bolt action but if the kid wants an AR, by all means get him one. He is the one that is going to use it.

There has been no mention of an AR to him or by him. The 243 idea has been hashed around and he is a bit apprehensive.
This is beyond question a case of the adults surrounding him wanting what is best for him.
Adults are more responsible and knowledgeable, right?

If it were left to the kid, he'd as soon use his .410 with slugs.
He's like, "I been hunting this river bottom all my life, I been shooting my .410 since I was five, it's a going to be a 4 day hunt, why change guns now".
But who's gonna listen to a kid that's not even 10 yet, I mean what do they know?

Originally Posted by Hastings
I am sure you will teach him the value of well aimed fire vs. spray fire.

He's way past that.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger American in youth size shooting a 7mm-08. Great deer caliber with a bit more punch than a .243 with fairly low recoil. Nice short lite weight gun.

living the good life every day
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by champlain_islander
Ruger American in youth size shooting a 7mm-08. Great deer caliber with a bit more punch than a .243 with fairly low recoil. Nice short lite weight gun.

My vote too...

I have a Mod 70 Classic Compact in 7mm-08.... It's my favorite rifle I have, a deer killing machine.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Coworkers daughter popped an 8 pointer w her Contender carbine .30-30 this yr. Teenager and not big. Dunno what his reloads were.

Her scope was my old VX3 2.5-8x smile

Last edited by hookeye; 11/15/19.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Since he likes his .410 it might be prudent to take him to a Cabela's or Academy and let him pick for himself. Henry makes one in .223 and that might be fine for a slight built young man to start out with. It sounds like he is already a credible shot and ammo for the little 223 can be pretty effective if you don't let range get out of hand. Oddly the Henry weighs more than the Ruger American and I think it is offered in 223 also. If you get him involved he can make a pretty good decision for himself.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Raeford
Savage Axis[Jr Model], .243

That was actually being considered until the AR thought came to mind. The Savage is a tad heavier.

Recoil is also one of his concerns.

The lowest-recoiling sub-6lb rig before ammo & optics that I know of will be an AR-15.

5.56mm can be viable vs deer, but is not legal in many states. Newer, premium bullets make 5.56mm much more viable as a mid-sized game-getter, especially with more aggressive twists and heavier pills. Still, 5.56mm doesn't leave a lot of room for error. Which is why my daughter's AR-15 is 6.5Grendel. AR-15 in 6.5G generates MUCH less subjective recoil than an equivalent weight youth/compact bolt action in .243Win, which I also own.

Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If the lad is hunting anywhere near Ozello a SS break action 20 will serve purposes quite well. So will a Contender carbine in .30-30 give or take. Last thing I would pass to a son is an AR platform regardless of the chamber. Hunting is the objective, no?

The former will have nasty recoil, worse than a12ga 870. BTDT, concluded that single shot youth 20ga shotguns shooting full power 20ga shot or slugs are generally a bad idea unless that youth is very beefy. The latter is no slouch on the recoil charts.

My 13YO daughter begs to differ and can produce venison is support of her case. Classic behind the shoulder shot, lungs turned to chum, exit wound the size of a quarter. Lots of blood to trail. Hornady 123gr SST did the trick nicely. The deer don't care what the firearm looks like.

Yes hunting is not only the objective, it's his obsession.

OK, let's differentiate "hunting" from "shooting". The benchmark for a hunter is shot placement and perhaps stalking, depending on what "NW means. The .223 is an artist's cartridge, not a beginner's tool.

I doubt one can do this with an AR, but it can be done with a Contender, and was....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice shooting and no doubt Contenders can be wonderful rifles, but your statement is hilarious. Here's another fellow posting tiny groups with an unlikely bench rest rifle:
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php...00-and-200-yards&p=522354#post522354
I think you and he have quite a bit in common, what with posting bench rest competition worthy groups with unlikely implements. Takes much skill and time to make such happen.

Might want to dial down the fuddery. AR-15s and AR-10s are reasonable and viable hunting tools. And the physics involved make a properly built AR-15 terrific for small, recoil-sensitive shooters.

[For the record my preferred centierfire hunting rifle is a beautiful blued steel and walnut CZ550. Just used it to sink a .375H&H 270 SP through a deer last weekend. Deer had ben fatally hit with a .243Win 100gr pill, but my hunting partner did not want to let the deer just bleed out over time, so I put a finisher through the lungs & heart, managing to miss all tasty venison. That CZ550 does not group anywhere near 0.19", yet still manages to bring home meat, as the primary or backup on big game. Did I mention it is pretty?]

.19" is a huge group. .091" mo better.

Back in the day, before all the design morphing on the M16 began, it was a very good and reliable platform after they stopped loading them with ball powder. Among other things it was reasonably light, had good velocity, and tended to kill whatever a fella shot with it. All those points which made it a good combat weapon have been sold down the road with subsequent design evolution.

The OP suggested he wanted something light. There be a number of options out there that fit that requirement other than Contenders. I don't know they are any lighter than my 5:5# .30-30 but I'm sure that a fair number could beat the 1/2" groups at 100 yds with 150 gr spitzers my little peashooter flings. A capable hunter only needs one shot.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
He will love the AR in 223. All kids do, and most adults too. We have killed many deer here with a 223. My youngest son killed his with an AR this youth season. Carried empty with a chamber flag until we got to where we setup to shoot the deer.

Why not give him what he wants?

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
This would be my choice. Howa Mini action in 6.5 Grendel from Whittakers. $359 and comes with a youth and a full size stock:

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/79783

There are 3 left as of right now.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JeffA
Yes hunting is not only the objective, it's his obsession.

OK, let's differentiate "hunting" from "shooting". The benchmark for a hunter is shot placement and perhaps stalking, depending on what "NW means. The .223 is an artist's cartridge, not a beginner's tool.

Pondering on the thoughts your post has spurred. NW = Mountains of Montana.

I have a RAR 223 sitting here wearing a VX1 3-9x40. And a virgin single shot 7-08. Borrow one if you want. Possibly a 243 700 also. They're all shorter than adult lop but I don't have the measurements handy.

My first several, bigger than rabbit, kills was with a 22-250. No regrets, it's like lightning.

A Grendel AR would be a killer for years to come!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Lol. A full size, wood stock Remington 700 BDL is like a youth rifle to me. Way to short a length of pull.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had the same problem with my Mod 94 Trapper. Had to add a pad to so's I could shoot the dang thing properly. 6# totes easy and it has slain many critters.

Foolin' around with cast bullets on the 50 yard butt.

It was a covey rise in a manner of speaking.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The former will have nasty recoil, worse than a12ga 870. BTDT, concluded that single shot youth 20ga shotguns shooting full power 20ga shot or slugs are generally a bad idea unless that youth is very beefy. The latter is no slouch on the recoil charts.

Yeah, they are vicious bitches. First time I shot one it was a H&R back when ships were wood and I was 11.....near about 80 pounds soaking wet. That thing went BOOM and I think I cracked a couple ribs I was laffin' so hard.

Anyway, the lad ain't hunting around Ozello, so it's kinda a moot point, no?

Take a look at the pic below anyway. That old 37 weighs about 6.5# loaded and over the course of years has massacred about a gazoogle of birds and 70+ hogs.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And just for chitts and giggles, this is about as good as it gets with the .30-30 Contender. It don't get worse on Sundays....

And the reason pigs don't like the short shooting Contender...

My hunting country, YMMV

I am..........disturbed.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Is that Nam or Florida.LOL. But then I am from ND, anywhere with more than 20 trees is a jungle to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd nix the AR idea as well...….and while the .223 is legal in some states, it's not universally legal.....yes, it'll work.....I've done it and this year will use a .218 Bee but would recommend a .243 in a compact bolt action. Does Browning still make the micro medallion?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Haven't read the whole thread so I could be repeating. Lightweight AR in a Grendel would be good my opinion better would be the Ruger American in a Grendel that takes the AR mags

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Perhaps a mini 14 in 7.62.

Flame throwers lit. LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by viking
Perhaps a mini 14 in 7.62.

Flame throwers lit. LOL

Or even a Mini 30... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .223 is an artist's cartridge, not a beginner's tool.

Finally someone says it like it is. A 223 is for someone with the patience to place the bullet exactly and the patience to wait until that time comes. Plus the fortitude to understand that the time may not come. Much like a 410 is an experts round, so is a 223.

Why would you hand a novice something with such a small margin of error?

Last edited by Armednfree; 11/16/19.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There are many options. Another tool in my kit is a rather whimsical piece that was crafted from a .22-250 700 ADL. Rebarreled by Dennis Erhardt out in MT and chambered in .250 Savage with a 10" twist. I whittled the stock down and refinished it, getting rid of all of Remington's artwork in the process. Weighs a few ounces less than 7# loaded and does fairly well for a thoughtful shooter.

The top was shot with a brace of 85 gr BTs and the lower with 100 gr NPT in that order at 100 yards.

I am..........disturbed.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,126
Posts18,483,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.