Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I saw a spike and had 3 deer run by me, thats all out of 8 of us 3 guys all killed 6pts, 4 of us have doe tags no does killed yet! maybe today will be my day!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jack

I think maybe we are becoming the get off my lawn age
And yes there is nothing like opening day I get it

Here is the bright spot Sunday afternoon 84% (yes I have the exact amount) will be gone and you will have wonderful land to you and the,locals

I understand for 2 reasons I deal more with the flatlanders during the summer on the Northeast side Saginaw Bay/Lake Huron and all the inland lakes

Grew up in Chicago was there for 26 years
Been in Mid MI now for 30

And this year with no baiting the better Hunters will do well
Although I would rather be lucky than good anyday
Keep a smile next week its yours

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by saddlering
I saw a spike and had 3 deer run by me, thats all out of 8 of us 3 guys all killed 6pts, 4 of us have doe tags no does killed yet! maybe today will be my day!

I am sure you will have a good season my friend keep going
Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 11/16/19.

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It’s crazy time in the UP!!!! Amateur hour

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I live in the northeastern lower peninsula. I’m fortunate enough to have private land to hunt and that’s where I hunt almost exclusively the first few days of rifle season. I’ll start hitting up my public land spots again the end of next week after it quiets down.

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I cannot believe all the flat landers migrating north, be nice if everyone hunted locally and didnt crowd the northwoods like crazy.
State land is like a warzone, and they have no courtesy at all in the woods.
So if you live in southern Michigan and drive up north, thanks for ruining it every year. The ones who will drive in at first shooting light and sit be a tree 60 yards from your blind.

I’ve lived in Michigan all my life, been traveling north for the past 20 years or so, all public land, and have never experienced what is described here.

As a matter of fact, the closest I’ve ever seen to this wasn’t up north but right here by GR... with people hunting locally.

As a matter of fact, in the area where my party hunts I’ve seen one hunter outside our group while hunting since we started in 2012... and he was lost and looking for assistance in getting his bearings.

When our area is over run or has too few deer we go find another. They’re there if you’re willing to do the work of finding them. We hunted Manistee Natl Forest up by Baldwin for years and needed to find a place w/ more deer. We did and it didn’t take much to do so.

Seems weird to blame other people for a bad experience on public land??

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wish everyone a safe and fun season . Bow season was good to me,tagging 3 doe and 2 bucks ! I kept a doe tag in my pocket so I could hunt the opener with my Dad and take my lady out. Was pretty slow so far,but maybe tonight I can get her on her first buck. She wants a buck for her first deer,I don't blame her.

Congrats to those who have scored and good luck to the rest !

Tim

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have never bought a combo license, but I assume the first license you can get any buck as long as it has 3 inch antlers, the second has to have 4 points on a side.

Yet I hear guys every year that shoot a buck that is an 8 point or bigger and tag with the second license! Is that legal???

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Whelenman
I have never bought a combo license, but I assume the first license you can get any buck as long as it has 3 inch antlers, the second has to have 4 points on a side.

Yet I hear guys every year that shoot a buck that is an 8 point or bigger and tag with the second license! Is that legal???

Yep it’s just like you said; one tag for any buck 3” or longer on one side, and the other 4 points on one side. Doesn’t matter what order you shoot them in only the antler points on the buck they’re placed upon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wish they would do away with the combo license. If you want two deer get a doe tag!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty quiet for us, very few gun shots. I didn't even see a deer.

This morning, Saturday, I swear every hunter was shooting full auto.

I thought the Taliban was taking on crockery creek. That's the gun opener I know. Yesterday was to quiet, glad it got back to normal.

Might try again tomorrow am but hitting a lumberjack hockey game tonight so I might just sleep in 😁

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by JackVliet
I cannot believe all the flat landers migrating north, be nice if everyone hunted locally and didnt crowd the northwoods like crazy.
State land is like a warzone, and they have no courtesy at all in the woods.
So if you live in southern Michigan and drive up north, thanks for ruining it every year. The ones who will drive in at first shooting light and sit be a tree 60 yards from your blind.

I’ve lived in Michigan all my life, been traveling north for the past 20 years or so, all public land, and have never experienced what is described here.

As a matter of fact, the closest I’ve ever seen to this wasn’t up north but right here by GR... with people hunting locally.

As a matter of fact, in the area where my party hunts I’ve seen one hunter outside our group while hunting since we started in 2012... and he was lost and looking for assistance in getting his bearings.

When our area is over run or has too few deer we go find another. They’re there if you’re willing to do the work of finding them. We hunted Manistee Natl Forest up by Baldwin for years and needed to find a place w/ more deer. We did and it didn’t take much to do so.

Seems weird to blame other people for a bad experience on public land??

Oh gosh a friend I hunted with in Wyoming Wisconsin and here in MI. Took me for an opener near Grand Rapids probably close to Muskegon never again that was horrible

Shooting in pitch black people everywhere that was unsafe and never again

You just brought back horrible memories

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 11/16/19.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

I thought the Taliban was taking on crockery creek. That's the gun opener I know. Yesterday was to quiet, glad it got back to normal.

Might try again tomorrow am but hitting a lumberjack hockey game tonight so I might just sleep in 😁

neighbor to the North?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I live and hunt in Ogemaw County, there is definitely a lot of deer movement. M33 is non stop well of cars this time of year, and there were 6 conservation officers parked at the ferrel gas just north of rose city. Every car that drove by with a deer on it they went and pulled them over. So yeah, we have quite a lot of hunter presence. The land here is easy to navigate, and there are two tracks every where making it easier as well. We also have a pretty good deer population, making it a haven for a lot of hunters.

And actually boat boy I'm only 23, I just get my nerves going too hot and then say some dumb stuff.

I wish you guys could come hunt with me on opening weekend and see it haha. In fact if anybody wants a hunting partner and likes to stroll through the woods and Hope's to kick up a deer, I'm the guy for it.
Good luck everyone.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Definitely lots of ass holes out there hunting public land. I wouldn't apologise for saying so either. Doesn't matter that they paid as much for a license as you they should still show some common courtesy. Many don't, especially citiots.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Originally Posted by Joel/AK

neighbor to the North?

Guys in the north did there fair share but it was all around. Then this morning it was the polar opposite, think I heard a total of 4 shots. I guess they got me all yesterday, they have been practicing on life size targets for about a month now.

I let a medium size doe go this morning.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey Jack
Cool I thought it was only old guys like me here haha

I am sure that area does get pounded
It's up north for a large population of the state

Hank

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
I wish everyone a safe and fun season . Bow season was good to me,tagging 3 doe and 2 bucks ! I kept a doe tag in my pocket so I could hunt the opener with my Dad and take my lady out. Was pretty slow so far,but maybe tonight I can get her on her first buck. She wants a buck for her first deer,I don't blame her.

Congrats to those who have scored and good luck to the rest !

Tim

Well today it happened , my GF got her first deer/buck today ! First time ever pulling the trigger on a live animal even. Till today it has been paper targets and ringing steel. Small 8 pt but it did not matter, she was geeked as could be !
243 AI
NF NXS
105 Amax
340 yards
grin

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Out of 8 of us, 3 6pts and a small 8pt, we have 4 doe tags none were filled! I counted 26 shots on opening day, only 5 were before legal shooting time! I saw a spike, and had 3 more deer run by me! I hate the having to count points ect. Just hoping to fill my doe tag! was out this evening and the woods are bare of hunters, glad of that, I hear Lic. sales are way down this year!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
We hunted the Prescott area on private property my brother owns. Deer sightings were way down from previous years and shots heard were also equally down. No bucks were seen the first 4 days of rifle season for us 4 hunters. Two of us hunted with archery a couple days before the rifle opener and I took a spike horn with a bum leg........the only deer seen that came within range. I saw a total of 7 deer in 7 days.
Personally I think the baiting ban changed the travel patterns of the deer, at least in our property. Two of the neighboring residents used to dump trailer loads of feed in their back yards to view the deer. A couple miles south of us a large farm was harvesting hundreds of acres of corn. My theory is a large number of the areas deer were hold up in the adjacent wood lots and feasting in the picked fields and winter wheat fields at night. Most, if not all, the shots I heard were from that direction. That's the problem with hunting private land is the inability to move to the deer.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1eyedmule, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,611 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.