Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Memtb: Yes 6 man football is alive and well in Montana also.
I have been to several of those type games - interesting and fun for the young men, and the fans, parents.
We have a six man football team (school) here in the county I live in, here in SW Montana.
Football is VERY, VERY important to the communities hereabouts.
I am glad the "Miners" scored some points there in the state championship game.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: You didn't happen to see a lot of players and fans taking a knee during the Anthem did you?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Our deer lease was in Coleman county. We went to a few Panther Creek games. Six man is a wild game.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In September of 1998, in an effort to provide the opportunity to play high school football for those in districts with very low enrollment, Iowa allowed for 8-man football. Six schools fielded 8-man teams. As time passed, the good intentions of the state fell short when they set the enrollment bar far too high for qualification as an 8-man team. Rather than honoring the intention of the class to allow participation by students in districts unable to field 11-man squads, far too many districts saw it as a way to "become competitive" (read as: achieve greater success), which has resulted in districts that are fully capable of fielding competitive 11-man teams instead fielding 8-man teams and running all over the very teams that the class was intended to benefit. The horse is out of the barn and it looks like the only viable solution is to split the 8-man class into two classes, with much more stringent enrollment requirements to qualify for the smaller of the two.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by 5sdad
In September of 1998, in an effort to provide the opportunity to play high school football for those in districts with very low enrollment, Iowa allowed for 8-man football. Six schools fielded 8-man teams. As time passed, the good intentions of the state fell short when they set the enrollment bar far too high for qualification as an 8-man team. Rather than honoring the intention of the class to allow participation by students in districts unable to field 11-man squads, far too many districts saw it as a way to "become competitive" (read as: achieve greater success), which has resulted in districts that are fully capable of fielding competitive 11-man teams instead fielding 8-man teams and running all over the very teams that the class was intended to benefit. The horse is out of the barn and it looks like the only viable solution is to split the 8-man class into two classes, with much more stringent enrollment requirements to qualify for the smaller of the two.

Isn’t this based on enrollment, I wouldn’t think a school above the enrollment max for 8 man could play 8 man football.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Six man is Class A in Texas 55 to 105 in high school. If a school gets above the 105 threshold they go to 2A which is 11 man football. They don’t have a choice.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Isn’t this based on enrollment, I wouldn’t think a school above the enrollment max for 8 man could play 8 man football.

I probably expressed myself poorly. There is a cut-off that a school must be below. The problem is that they set the enrollment number far too high, with the result that there was a stampede of schools to play 8-man who have plenty of players to play 11-man. They only saw an opportunity to be successful by beating up on the schools that the 8-man class was originally intended to benefit rather than switching to 8-man out of necessity.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Ok. I understand now. The classifications have changed through the years here. When I went in late 60’s, we had 6 man, class B, 1A,2A,3A,4A. Now 1A is 6 man, 1A up through 6A, plus you have a small and large division in each classification. I think 3 teams in the small and large division go to playoffs from each district. It’s like everybody makes the playoffs. When I went only one team from each district made the playoffs. A three way tie was decided by a coin flip.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

684 members (1minute, 1moredeer, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 60 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,846
Posts18,496,943
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.